Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave above. 

They will bloody lose this and at this rate, by 10 wickets, helpfully getting the Saffers back into form in time for the final two tests in the process. 

Edited by Eames

More very sad news. 28 is no age. RIP.

From the BBC:

Tom Allin: Former Warwickshire bowler dies aged 28

Former Warwickshire fast bowler Tom Allin has died at the age of 28.

Allin, who played one first-class match and one List A game for the county before leaving in 2013, also represented Devon and Cardiff MCCU.

Police said Allin was found at the base of a bridge near Bideford on Monday. They are investigating the circumstances of his death but are not treating it as suspicious.

Warwickshire described Allin as "incredibly popular".

He spent six years at the club, who added in a statement: "Everyone at Edgbaston is immensely saddened."

Following the police investigation a file will be passed to the north Devon coroner.

Allin is the second cricketer to die in a matter of days, following the death of Sussex bowler Matthew Hobden at the age of 22.

Mark Ansell, chairman of Allin's league cricket club North Devon CC, said: "Everyone at the club is devastated by the news of Tom's death.

"He was a great guy and this has come as such a shock. The players at the club are numbed by what has happened. They met up on Tuesday night to support each other."

Jason Ratcliffe, assistant chief executive of the Professional Cricketers' Association (PCA), described Allin as a valued member of the organisation, adding: "Our condolences go to Tom's family, particularly his father Tony who is also a PCA member from his own playing career with Glamorgan in 1976."

Edited by dAVe80

He is really demonstrating that knack of getting England out of the shit and into a commanding position.

Huge kudos to Stokes for kick starting the revival.

Worrying about Cook, Hales & Compton right now.  I think Cook and Compton can come back stronger, but Hales's test history is quite startling.

41 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Agree 100% on Root, Paul. Not seen any of it, but on the BBC website, they're say it could be his best ton ever. Special mention to Stokes again by the way! Man is a machine!!

He was a bit nervy at the start especially when Hardus wotsit was bowling at 90mph plus but when he and Stokes got going it was very good. Some of Root's drives were sublime.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

Cook and Hales are a concern.

Not sure that Cook is - he's jus thad a year where he scored well over a thousand test runs - a similar number to Root. A couple of strangles doesn't mean much, IMO. Hales is never a test opener. He's a brilliant hitter, but can't defend against quality bowling when the time requires it.

• Like 1

I can't see the point of having Hales in the team, and sending him out to scratch about and block. I'm guessing the idea is to get him to go out and play like Warner does for Australia. If that's the case, let him of the leash a bit, and let him go at it. 

56 minutes ago, blandy said:

Not sure that Cook is - he's jus thad a year where he scored well over a thousand test runs - a similar number to Root. A couple of strangles doesn't mean much, IMO. Hales is never a test opener. He's a brilliant hitter, but can't defend against quality bowling when the time requires it.

Yes quite true about Cook. I never really thought Hales was cut out for test cricket but we have tried so many partners for Cook since Strauss where do we go from here. I think maybe Compton and find another no.3

Â