Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

positives to be had, but it was still a desperately frustrating series. from being so close in match 1, to the brain fade with the bat on day 3 of the 2nd, to the spinners bowling abysmally this test and undoing broad and anderson's amazing work. Honestly those two plus Cook and Root must get pissed off really. They are world class and should at least be looking at a tied series if not a victory yet we've come away with a 2-0 loss.

But that said we were still a world away from the disasters of the 3-0 one. Just the vagaries of test cricket and why it's so enthralling.

I kindly disagree about certain players being pissed off when they are performing well and others aren't. Cook was carried for two years while other players were performing and he wasn't. No doubt him and Root will go through a bad spell when other players will perform. Its cricket! Yes spin is a problem but Pakistan have a world class spinner and there are few around these days. I know Rashid is not the answer despite all the media hype surrounding a leg spinner. Crane of Hampshire is one for the future but he's only 18 so a baby in terms of leg spinners. 

The best spinner in county cricket is Jeetan Patel, yet his record at test level is worse than Moeen's. The problem we have is the scheduling of our games in England. Too many games played in April and May when spinners dont get a look in. Not enough in July and August.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yes after he remodelled his action he became very very good. Interesting to hear what Trott said about him on sky, being the quickest bowler he has faced. Mind you Starc has bowled 100 mph in this current test.

England cruising to victory. A good comeback after the first odi, but kind of shows how reliant the Pakistan batting has been on Misbah and Younus.

Edited by PaulC

5 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

I see Mitchell Johnson has called it a day. At his best, a devastating quick bowler, capable of winning cricket matches on his own. At his worst a comedy figure, who let the barracking get to him and really effect his game. Obviously people will recall the bad spells he had, where he couldn't keep the ball straight, and that song, but he should be also remembered as the bowler who tore us apart in the last Ashes in Aus, and the man our bats had no answer for. 

Good luck Mitch, in whatever you do next. Respect from an Englishman, who got to see you at your best and worst. 

Yes seconded. I saw him at Adelaide at his best, and it was an awesome spell of fast bowling, and a piece of great sporting theatre. It was a pleasure to be there, even though we got whooped. Also say him get the grief at Edgbaston and the like. I think the best part was that he came back from that. I don't like feeling sorry for Aussie cricketers, it's not natural for an Englishman.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

I see Mitchell Johnson has called it a day. At his best, a devastating quick bowler, capable of winning cricket matches on his own. At his worst a comedy figure, who let the barracking get to him and really effect his game. Obviously people will recall the bad spells he had, where he couldn't keep the ball straight, and that song, but he should be also remembered as the bowler who tore us apart in the last Ashes in Aus, and the man our bats had no answer for. 

Good luck Mitch, in whatever you do next. Respect from an Englishman, who got to see you at your best and worst. 

4th highest wicket taker of all time for Australia, no mean achievement. Totally destroyed several English batsmen - I think in that last Ashes series in Australia he took 37 wickets at 13. Handy batsmen too, and a nice guy by all accounts.

• Like 2

I didn't realise he ranked as highly in wickets until I heard the news today, he's hardly been clinical all his career so to be 4th and behind three absolute beasts is incredible. He's always known his role to the English, he might have buckled a few times but not as often as he's showed us up, the bastard. All the best MJ

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Bell left out of the England squad in South Africa. At 33 could this be the end of his international career!

He's making noises about wanting to get his place back. Fair play to him, but personally I think it'd be better if he just bowed out. As good a payer as he's been, his form of late has been patchy to say the least. Retire from international cricket a hero, and come and win some stuff with the Bears! 

• Like 2

He's just not looked right since the world cup a year ago. The dropping catches, scratching around at the crease. Something's just "gone" from his game. Perhaps ground down by the relentlessness of the schedule. Good luck to him and I hope that like Disco and a few others he can carry on playing cricket and enjoy it. On form he's just brilliant to watch.

Wow - Buttler has just hit one of the great ODI innings for England, well set up by Root and Roy ( who got his maiden century ) but even so - it was explosive batting and wonderful to watch, love to see him hit freely and confidence is back, pressure will be on Bairstow to play well in SA now. 45 balls for the century - achieved with successive sixes, broke his own record by 16 balls, beat Freddie's record number of 6's too, and really has probably secured the ODI series win - if we can't keep them below 355 it'll be madness - well done sir. And well done Jason too!

• Like 2

Â