Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

• 2 weeks later...

Think England will struggle to get anything out of the final test now. Needed a lead of 150 minimum, I'd have thought. Can see us having to chase around 250, and struggling to get to 100. The ball is going to turn sideways for the Pakistani spinner in the final innings. 

3 spinners, and they were all useless. Do they all want christmas off or what? plumb place up for grabs in south africa and none of them seem keen on it. Anderson, Broad and Cook must be well pissed off having to do all the work.

Don't know if this should be in VT Deadpool but was very sad to hear of the death of Tom Graveney . One of my favourite cricketers (even though he played for Worcs !!) I thought he was an excellent and thoughtful commentator too but committed the cardinal sin of mentioning that Pakistan had been 'cheating us for years' and was never heard on the BBC again. That's him and Brian Close gone within months of each other. Almost the end of an era.

I don't remember the Pakistan comment - was it in the aftermath of Shakoor Rana or the stuff about ball tampering?

According to the beeb, his brother Ken died nine days earlier aged 90. Partnership of 178. Damn good effort, that.

_86488493_nodate_tomgraveneyfredtruemant

Edited by snowychap

3 spinners, and they were all useless. Do they all want christmas off or what? plumb place up for grabs in south africa and none of them seem keen on it. Anderson, Broad and Cook must be well pissed off having to do all the work.

I agree they haven't been good but Cook imo has over bowled Patel and under-bowled Moeen who should have had a wicket in the final over. Hafeez has been magnificent. Lets face it Pakistan play spin better than any other country in the world. and Moeen and Patel are primarily batsmen. Have to admit I've been underwhelmed with Rashid. Apart from that 5 wickets in the 2nd innings of the first test he has done nothing. Bowls too slow for test cricket. 

England can still win this. 

Don't know if this should be in VT Deadpool but was very sad to hear of the death of Tom Graveney . One of my favourite cricketers (even though he played for Worcs !!) I thought he was an excellent and thoughtful commentator too but committed the cardinal sin of mentioning that Pakistan had been 'cheating us for years' and was never heard on the BBC again. That's him and Brian Close gone within months of each other. Almost the end of an era.

Yes Veloman a classy batsman. A stalwart of Worcester. Sadly a lot of the England test team of the 60s are no longer with us. Close, Barrington who died quite young, Dolivera, Cowdrey and now Graveney.

Malik 6 wickets in the game and he's not a top class spinner. So yes Englands spinners have been very poor, particularly Rashid who bowls so much tosh. No chance of winning tomorrow and could we have seen the end of Bell or will he get another chance in South Africa. I think we'll go back to the same side as beat the Aussies in South Africa with Hales opening and maybe Taylor for Bell.

I think Bairstow will stay and Buttler will have a winter's break. Hales in at the top, Samit and Adil out with Moeen back down the order and Wood coming back in. Nothing too dramatic. Bell will stay. those 40's were useful, even if they were again scores that didn't deliver on the starts - they were still better than most other batsmen this series.

I think Bairstow will stay and Buttler will have a winter's break. Hales in at the top, Samit and Adil out with Moeen back down the order and Wood coming back in. Nothing too dramatic. Bell will stay. those 40's were useful, even if they were again scores that didn't deliver on the starts - they were still better than most other batsmen this series.

Yes but James Taylor needs to be fitted in the side somehow. At some point soon I think Bell will call it a day in international cricket. He's been playing it for 11 years.

Edited by PaulC
additional content

Blimey, this Test is painful !  I can confidently claim to be quite a talented cricketer myself; having once scored 10 n.o. and once taken a hat trick  against Newey and Eyre in a midweek league at Dunstall Park, Wolverhampton. If the  England batsmen want to come round to my place, I can show them how not to play across the line to a leg spinner when trying to save a match!! Jeez.

Well we lost the series  2-0, last time we lost to them 3-0, I hope theres no knee-jerk reactions because this is the most difficult place to tour. Nobody beats Pakistan in the UAE. We nearly won the first test and were competetive in the others. So theres some positives to be taken. Pakistan come to England this summer without Misbah. We should beat them in England. 

• Like 3

Yes dissapointing because we really werent too far away from getting some kind of result which would have been a huge achievement.

That said we are carrying far too high a percentage of this team. I worry about the South Africa tour!

Edited by villaglint

This is a fairly young team, finding its way in test cricket. There are a lot of positives to take out of the series. If you think the last time we went there, we got hammered. This time, it's been a lot closer, and in fact we could consider ourselves a little unlucky. As Paul said, no one beats them in the UAE, and I'd be confident of a reversal over here in the Summer too.

Â