Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Really well done to England. Fabulous stuff from Broad.

Edit: I think Andrew Samson said on TMS that Broad has taken 5 wickets in a spell on seven occasions in test cricket. That's mightily impressive.

Edited by snowychap

What a great test match. Makes it so much better, when they prepare wickets that have something in it the for the bowlers. What a spell from Broady. This England team have the makings of something very special. Missing a few ingredients, but once they get them sorted, I think they'll go on to win a lot of cricket matches.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 3

Yes its the most exciting England team in years, however this is the weakest South African team I can remember. Without their two best bowlers and over reliant on Amla and AB. The losses of Smith and Kallis has been massive. They were recently thrashed in India and they haven't got over that. Too much was made of Bavuma being the first black South African to make a hundred. It was on a flat pitch and against very tired bowlers. Easy runs.

• Like 1

I see Ian Bell has been named new Bears captain. He has reiterated his desire to play for England again, but I think this could spell the end of his International career. What a fantastic career it's been too. Knock, Belly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

I see Ian Bell has been named new Bears captain. He has reiterated his desire to play for England again, but I think this could spell the end of his International career. What a fantastic career it's been too. Knock, Belly.

It's good for him, maybe Chops will be off back to that London, then?

As for it signalling the end of Bell as a test player, I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference either way. If England have a gap in the middle order, and Bell is scoring tons of runs for the Bears, he may get back in, otherwise he won't. Now't to do with being Captain (which is a good move for the Bears and for Belly, I think).

Yes we have had captains before who have played for England at the same time. Good for Bell and Warwickshire. I have heard rumours that Troughton may replace Brown as DOC. 

Edited by PaulC

I think that would be shit. Doug has been really good for us, plus I don't know much about Troughton.

Article about record profits for the bears on bbc too. Over 2m last year, pay off the stadium debt a bit quicker hopefully.

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

How confusing is it that the Saffers have an opening bat, called Cook?!

I'm more confused as to how he's had to wait until he's 33 to make his debut.  He looks a perfect opening batsman and they've struggled for a few years to find one.

Wow. Woakes has been so terrible today, I think he's done his test career here. Final chance, but by golly, he has done literally the exact opposite of taking a chance, he's grabbed it, pissed on it and thrown it back at the selectors.

Unless he has the mother or all epic spells in the next few days

Sad to hear about the passing of former Bear, and commentator, Jack Bannister. Obviously not old enough to have seen him play, but remember hearing him on the radio. Always very knowledgeable, and it was always nice to hear a West Midlands accent on the radio. From the BBC:

Jack Bannister: Former BBC cricket commentator dies

• 6 hours ago
  • From the sectionCricket
Sharethis page
Jack Bannister
Jack Bannister took 1,198 wickets in a career spent entirely with Warwickshire

Former BBC TV cricket commentator and Warwickshire seam bowler Jack Bannister has died at the age of 85.

He took 1,198 first-class wickets during a 368-match county career from 1950 to 1968 before joining the BBC.

Initially a summariser, he became a commentator in 1988 and remained with the corporation until 1999.

BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew said he was "very sad to hear of the death of a great cricketing servant and good friend".

Wolverhampton-born Bannister was also instrumental in the formation of the Professional Cricketers' Association.

He attended the inaugural meeting of the PCA and went on to serve the body as secretary, chairman and president for 20 years. He was also instrumental in setting up a pension scheme for county players.

Jack Bannister
Jack Bannister in action in the nets during the 1959 season

"There is no denying that every cricketer owes Jack a huge debt of gratitude because he was one of the pioneers responsible for laying the foundations for the organisation we have now," said the PCA's assistant chief executive Jason Ratcliffe.

"Jack was always a players' man and he worked tirelessly to improve pay and conditions for players during his long association with the PCA.

"He was a fantastic cricketer with an outstanding record for Warwickshire. After he retired from playing, Jack became an influential figure in the broadcasting box from where he continued to promote the game he loved."

'There was no gossip that Jack didn't know'

Bannister made his first-team debut against Glamorgan at Swansea in August 1950 and was part of the County Championship-winning squad of 1951.

"Jack did so many things," Agnew added on BBC Test Match Special.

"A very good cricketer for a start - quite an aggressive medium-pace seam bowler.

"He was part of the BBC team for many years and helped formed the PCA where he was a very hard-working secretary for many years.

"He had a dry sense of humour and he liked a flutter on the horses. It's a sad day and we send out commiserations to his family."

Agnew's fellow TMS commentator Henry Blofeld added: "The great thing about Jack was he was uncomplicated, you knew exactly what you were going to get. When he was in the press box there was a wry humour. There was no cricket gossip that Jack didn't know.

"He was a great friend of John Woodcock, the great cricket writer, and when they got talking you could almost hear the electrical currents going."

Cricket stars pay tribute

Ian Bell on Twitter
Warwickshire captain Ian Bell
Shane Warne on Twitter
Australia bowling legend Shane Warne
Darren Gough
Former England fast bowler Darren Gough

Analysis

BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew

"Jack Bannister's influence on cricket reached every level of the game. He was an aggressive seam bowler who took nearly 1,200 wickets for Warwickshire, an incisive journalist and commentator, and perhaps most significantly, the co-founder of the Professional Cricketers' Association.

"[He was] always balanced and always fair to the cricketers he represented, which in the case of South Africa can't have been straightforward as the country became his second home.

"It was here that he once ate the newspaper after he wrongly predicted that South Africa would not lose a Test series to England.

"Bannister's career with Warwickshire spanned 20 years. He once took 10-41 against the Combined Services, which remains the best figures by a bowler for the club."

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

On 22 January 2016 at 13:54, Rodders said:

Wow. Woakes has been so terrible today, I think he's done his test career here. Final chance, but by golly, he has done literally the exact opposite of taking a chance, he's grabbed it, pissed on it and thrown it back at the selectors.

Unless he has the mother or all epic spells in the next few days

You might be right. He's been given a really rough deal, mind. Most players are given a run of games to stake a claim for a place. Woakes gets one game, then whoever comes back in, he doesn't bowl for 3 weeks or however long, then gets called back in. He's played 6 tests now, but they've been  four individual games spaced apart, plus 2 tests v India.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

Sad to hear about the passing of former Bear, and commentator, Jack Bannister. Obviously not old enough to have seen him play, but remember hearing him on the radio. Always very knowledgeable, and it was always nice to hear a West Midlands accent on the radio. From the BBC:

He used to do the commentary from his home watching Sky lol. However sad news, of course he was the cricket correspondent at the Birmingham post before George Dobell and Brian Halford. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, blandy said:

You might be right. He's been given a really rough deal, mind. Most players are given a run of games to stake a claim for a place. Woakes gets one game, then whoever comes back in, he doesn't bowl for 3 weeks or however long, then gets called back in. He's played 6 tests now, but they've been  four individual games spaced apart, plus 2 tests v India.

I think that's a fair point, and I am a Woakes fan, but yesterday, he was really disappointing. Anderson didn't lead the bowling line too well himself either, but given the stakes it was frustrating when you bang the Woakes drum against those who clamoured for Footitt to be given a go and then he showed a surprisingly lack of control. Woakes, although has been unlucky to not get as many wickets has usually demonstrated good control in his last few innings, but he didn't have this yesterday, on a day when there was an obvious chance to claim a stake too. Hopefully he'll have a better rest of the game, but he may benefit from the long gap to the next test game. If he does well for the shorter formats people may forget this effort. It's only 2 days old so far, so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

pathetic morning. I know it was a tough situation, but our collapses are really disappointing now. There's no fight, and ends an excellent series win on a very sour note really.

well bowled rabada of course, terrific figures and well deserved, but we didn't even make drinks!

You'd have wish there was a test match next week just so we could drop half of them to make a point, instead they get 4 months off. Big opportunity in the county championship for strong early performers mind.

just watching the T20 Aus - v India

Commentator goes "Warner will want to keep them to 170 or less which is 10 an over or so" :wacko:

Â