Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

48 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Was looking at the cricket World cup ballot today

England v South Africa @ the oval  , cheapest ticket £70 , tickets behind  the wicket  - £235 !!!

few days later Bangladesh v New Zealand at the oval - cheapest ticket £18  rising  to £75 for behind the wicket

they can jog on , I'm not going out of principle

The ICC are almost as big a bunch of greedy bastards as FIFA.  That said I might go to one of the lesser games if they're £18.

Yep, our batting is wank. 

Stoneman and Malan are shit. They wouldn't have had a sniff of being a test player 10 years ago but I guess the question is, who in county cricket is better?

Very poor from England, but I wouldn't expect anything less.

What I would give for a batting line-up of Strauss, Cook, Trott, KP, Bell and Prior.

Also, I'm not quite sure what Mark Wood has done to deserve a game over Woakes. He's bowled in this game at Woakes' usual speed, has a much worse test average and Woakes is a better batsman.

23 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

Very poor from England, but I wouldn't expect anything less.

What I would give for a batting line-up of Strauss, Cook, Trott, KP, Bell and Prior.

Also, I'm not quite sure what Mark Wood has done to deserve a game over Woakes. He's bowled in this game at Woakes' usual speed, has a much worse test average and Woakes is a better batsman.

I think Woakes and Wood are both pants.  Ball seems the in form bowler but he's been pants for England too.  The team has so many holes in it, and they're the same holes they've had for several seasons now.  The leadership from Bayliss and Root isn't very inspiring either.  We need a big shake up.

Woakes is good but he, like the others preferred to spend his time jollying it up in the IPL for happy clappy bang bang cricket, and ignored red ball preparation. But in general there's such a lousy approach to Test Cricket these days it's depressing

and now we have this tossing one hundred garbage coming in. 

Well I realise that there is more to it than just this but the bias towards players from 'Southern' Counties seems alive and well. Our batting coach, Ramprakash, has a Test average of 27 and I don't think this was achieved against Australia, Windies etc. His record is nowhere as good as (say) Ian Bell. But .. he played for the right Counties. Ditto this Ed Smith who I mentioned in an earlier  post. (In my opinion - which is not worth a lot ) This has gone on for some years; back in the 70's, after Knott retired, they brought in Paul Downton who played for the right County but was nowhere near as good a keeper as Bobby Taylor at Derbyshire. As always … just an opinion.              

We seem unable to produce test players now. Maybe down to the obsession with one day and short forms of cricket, which no doubt pays more 

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

We seem unable to produce test players now. Maybe down to the obsession with one day and short forms of cricket, which no doubt pays more 

Test players are a dying breed. For how fun the one dayers are, you can't beat a good old good fought test match. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

On 26/05/2018 at 03:43, Xela said:

Stoneman and Malan are shit. They wouldn't have had a sniff of being a test player 10 years ago but I guess the question is, who in county cricket is better?

We had a crap Ashes tour, yet Malan was our top scorer, averaged over 40, scored 3 fifties and a big hundred. Perhaps a little bit OTT to say he's shit?

35 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

We had a crap Ashes tour, yet Malan was our top scorer, averaged over 40, scored 3 fifties and a big hundred. Perhaps a little bit OTT to say he's shit?

That should par for the course for a top order batsman. He averages 29 after 13 tests including 1 hundred. 

Yes he had a reasonable Ashes but last 3 tests against NZ and PAK and he has scored 2, 23, 0, 53, 6 and 12.

Least Root and Cook have done it at some point, Malan has never been more than a average county player. He just happens to be the best at what is out there now.

10 hours ago, Xela said:

That should par for the course for a top order batsman. He averages 29 after 13 tests including 1 hundred. 

Yes he had a reasonable Ashes but last 3 tests against NZ and PAK and he has scored 2, 23, 0, 53, 6 and 12.

Least Root and Cook have done it at some point, Malan has never been more than a average county player. He just happens to be the best at what is out there now.

Par for the course for a decent top order batsman, yes. Well above par for a shit one!

Sure, he's not Kohli, but he's no mug. I think he's the best of a not very inspiring bunch, and well worth sticking with.

17 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Par for the course for a decent top order batsman, yes. Well above par for a shit one!

Sure, he's not Kohli, but he's no mug. I think he's the best of a not very inspiring bunch, and well worth sticking with.

Ashes aside, I don't think a test average of 29 is good. Moeen Ali is better. 

Like you say, perhaps best of a bad (in relative terms) bunch. 

He'll no doubt have the summer to improve. 

Worcestershire completed English one-day cricket's largest successful run chase to beat Leicestershire by six wickets at New Road.

Callum Ferguson's 192 helped them pass the target of 377 with 16 balls to spare after opener Joe Clarke's 62.

Paul Horton (79), Ben Raine (83), Mark Cosgrove (70) and Colin Ackermann (71 not out) helped the visitors to 376-4.

In reply, the hosts soon lost England's Moeen Ali for a duck, before Ferguson arrived and shined with 26 boundaries.

Daryl Mitchell's 50 from 36 balls and Brett D'Oliveira's unbeaten 54 from 47 balls also helped the hosts get over the line.

Debutant Ferguson's knock of 192 from 143 balls was his career-best in List A cricket and Worcestershire's highest List A individual score, beating fellow Australian Tom Moody's 180 not out in the 1990 Nat West Trophy semi-final against Surrey.

Leicestershire's score was their highest in List A cricket against another first-class county, but it was not enough for what would have been only their second victory in this season's competition.

Worcestershire's win was their fourth from five games and kept them top of the One Day Cup's North Group.

?:hooray:

• Like 2

Â