Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Probably with 40mph bowlers yeah! Try a 95mph catch.

Only about 20 blokes capable of throwing a 95mph ball, and I'm sure she'd be fine.

But let's focus on the 1%.

90% of bowlers in county championship are bowling 85mph.

13 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

What a game.

We'll done England, would have been easy to fold, but Brook & Woakes came in a ended what could have been a difficult job.

Anderson for Robinson (injury permitting).

Jimmy to give us a 10 fer in 2 overs on his home ground 😏

I may be talking  out of somewhere other than my mouth, but I don't think his test record at Old Trafford is as good as it is as some other grounds, Trebt Bridge eg

11 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I legit think Amy Jones is better than a lot of male WK's.

She's absolutely phenomenal.  

Glad she plays for the phoenix! 😎

For England to have first Sarah Taylor and now Amy Jones as wicket keepers. Incredibly talented players, both of them. You don’t tend to see two genius keepers in such a short time.

• Like 1

If Robinson is not fit, on form alone, Tongue should replace him. By his own admission Jimmy did not perform well in helpful condition in either of the first 2 Tests. 

The big decision is the wicketkeeper. Sadly too many mistakes by Bairstow and his batting is not even close to making up for the shortfall. That said, I think they will stick with Bairstow but that could prove to be fatal for our hopes of squaring the series.

All still to play for.

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Noooo! She’s a woman, so stop comparing her to the men!! She CAN’T be as good as us!! Waaaah waaaah I’ve a tiny penis waaaaah waaaaah.

I'm surprised they let women drive cars at 70mph on the motorway.

I think that XX chromosome means they can't see anything past 50mph.

:lol: good grief, check yourselves.

It's catching a ball with a glove from 40 yards away, not powerlifting with the world's strongest man!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Noooo! She’s a woman, so stop comparing her to the men!! She CAN’T be as good as us!! Waaaah waaaah I’ve a tiny penis waaaaah waaaaah.

the person who liked your post , was the poster who actually made the first comparison of her to the men  ... maybe they are  trying to tell us something :detect: :P  :D

Edited by tonyh29

57 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

If Robinson is not fit, on form alone, Tongue should replace him. By his own admission Jimmy did not perform well in helpful condition in either of the first 2 Tests. 

The big decision is the wicketkeeper. Sadly too many mistakes by Bairstow and his batting is not even close to making up for the shortfall. That said, I think they will stick with Bairstow but that could prove to be fatal for our hopes of squaring the series.

All still to play for.

I'd move Stokes up to three and bring Foakes in. You can't keep giving underperforming players second chances, it doesn't send the right message, and Bairstow has been an absolute liability with the gloves and a waste of space with the bat. He needs to get himself fit anyway, no sportsman who isn't wearing a polyester shirt whilst chucking projectiles at a round board should be that overweight.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Only about 20 blokes capable of throwing a 95mph ball, and I'm sure she'd be fine.

But let's focus on the 1%.

90% of bowlers in county championship are bowling 85mph.

The average seamer speed in T20 is 80mph. That's still a whole lot quicker than the women though, where the average is 65mph. Some male spinners chuck the ball down at that speed.

21 minutes ago, Risso said:

I'd move Stokes up to three and bring Foakes in. You can't keep giving underperforming players second chances, it doesn't send the right message, and Bairstow has been an absolute liability with the gloves and a waste of space with the bat. He needs to get himself fit anyway, no sportsman who isn't wearing a polyester shirt whilst chucking projectiles at a round board should be that overweight.

I’m a big fan of Foakes. Think he’s an underrated batsman and clearly top drawer with the gloves.

Bairstow averages 37 in Tests, and most of that is accounted for by games where he wasn’t keeping. Foakes averages 32.

It all seems to hinge on the idea that Bairstow might unleash one of those big centuries which Foakes is never going to do, but right now from game to game it just seems to be a drag on performance.

Also think Woakes should be a nailed on starter now. Baffled why we allowed the tail to get so long in the last two tests… doesn’t seem consistent with the batting philosophy, where I think you need to bat deep to deal with the inevitable early wickets.

Bazball makes a lot more sense when your number 9 can realistically score 50+ on a semi regular basis.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Risso said:

The average seamer speed in T20 is 80mph. That's still a whole lot quicker than the women though, where the average is 65mph. Some male spinners chuck the ball down at that speed.

There's a lot of them now approaching 80mph. As regard the fast bowling she's a lot more agile than Dhoni and he was pretty good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lochheads twin said:

All still to play for.

Yes I wouldn't bring back Anderson. He's too much like for like with Woakes and would mean Woakes wouldn't open the bowling.  Woakes ahead of Anderson now. No room for sentiment we have to win this match

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm surprised they let women drive cars at 70mph on the motorway.

I think that XX chromosome means they can't see anything past 50mph.

:lol: good grief, check yourselves.

It's catching a ball with a glove from 40 yards away, not powerlifting with the world's strongest man!

Yes but.women can't compete physically with men, mind you watching this 16 year old Andreeva tennis player play maybe the gap is closing 

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes but.women can't compete physically with men, mind you watching this 16 year old Andreeva tennis player play maybe the gap is closing 

But you’re saying that women can’t react in the same manner as a man.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

You don't have to compete physically with men. In cricket as a WK.. it's catching.. with big gloves on😂

She'd be a damn sight more agile than Bairstow too.

Not Foakes, but Bairstow, yes.

She wouldn't be able to hit the ball as hard as Bairstow, but I'm comparing her WK skills.

30 minutes ago, colhint said:

There's a lot of them now approaching 80mph. As regard the fast bowling she's a lot more agile than Dhoni and he was pretty good. 

Issy Wong is nearing 80.  Her ambition is to get there. I hope she does it! 💪

53 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

You don't have to compete physically with men. In cricket as a WK.. it's catching.. with big gloves on😂

She'd be a damn sight more agile than Bairstow too.

Not Foakes, but Bairstow, yes.

She wouldn't be able to hit the ball as hard as Bairstow, but I'm comparing her WK skills.

Yes not questioning her wicket keeping skills but it's hypothetical anyway.

13 hours ago, PaulC said:

Seriously, how would she keep against 95mph bowling?   Different level of cricket all together and I'm putting the women's game down at all.

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes not questioning her wicket keeping skills but it's hypothetical anyway.

You're saying she couldn't react to "95mph bowling", unlike a man.  Which is nonsense.

Â