Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Tantalisingly set up for tomorrow! Gonna be a rip snorter of a day's play. Got my ticket ready! :D

Also, what's not to love about Ian Bell?! Warwickshire boy, loves the Villa, and gets his third ton of the series!  :wub:

The trouble is, people on a ton and over tend to be out quite quickly the morning after.  Hope he can stick around to get towards 250.

trouble is, England tend to lose a wicket or two quickly in the morning whenever resuming an innings, and have done for quite sometime.

England should be looking at a 300 lead from here, but they probably will make another 50 at best

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

The trouble is, people on a ton and over tend to be out quite quickly the morning after.  Hope he can stick around to get towards 250.

trouble is, England tend to lose a wicket or two quickly in the morning whenever resuming an innings, and have done for quite sometime.

England should be looking at a 300 lead from here, but they probably will make another 50 at best

Add the fact that the new ball is due in a few overs, and the likelihood of a few quick wickets tumbling is quite high. We'll need a lead of 250+ to give our bowlers something to go at. If Jimmy Ando, Broad and Swan can step up to the plate, we'll be OK. Ando has had a relatively quiet few games for him, so mabe he's due ....

I'd much prefer him at number 6,take some pressure off him

I don't understand this line of thinking.

Why would batting an opener at number 6 'take some pressure off him'?

From what I've heard (Boycott, Vaughan et al), he's always been an opener. That would suggest that the only reason he got put in the middle order for England was that they wanted him in the set up sooner rather than later and as his natural spot was occupied (by Compton?) they used him in an unfamiliar place.

Sure, he seems to be struggling at the moment (TMS initial commentary had it as a cracking ball - though there were comments about whether he could have come forward a bit) but if his form is off the options ought to be to either stick with him until he comes through it or drop him in favour of someone else. Moving players around when they normally bat at 4,5,6 is a little different to moving those who normally bat at 1,2,3 around (other than if they are converted openers like Watson - Edit: he is, isn't he? Perhaps he isn't and he and the Aussies are just unsure of where to bat him).

Like I said before to another poster, they may well drop him down the order but I think that would be daft and not looking any further than the test match(es) for which they do that (and the set up seems to be about organizing things for both the present and the future).

On a wider point, I have some sympathy with the general concern about our batting line up not often performing together but I think it's pretty slack thinking to believe that when England score 250 and then Australia find themselves 120 odd for 9 or England score 230 and Australia score just 40 more that this is all about the batting line up failing and the bowlers 'saving' us (as Bicks said on 10th July - Never judge the first innings score until the other team has batted).

Edited by snowychap

I agree with Snowy mostly. Root is in terrible form, but either drop him as a starter altogether which means he's not in the team, or persist and hope that he comes good. I suppose the only argument for dropping him down the order is that he's so young that he should be able to adapt. It's not like he's had ten years as a first class opener to get set in his ways.

Bell doesnt win man of the series it will be a travesty. this has been (not sure) either 2 average teams or 2 out of form teams with the bat and he has been a class apart to win it for England as cant see Aussies chasing more than 250-300 here

Â