What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

Özil wasn't totally unknown before the world cup. Just unknown to the majority of fans that don't regularly watch the Bundesliga (and most idiot pundits). Most managers would've known about him.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There may well be other players out there as good or better than Milner, but would they be as good a team player?

Ask any manager who has been lucky enough to manage JM and they will almost certainly tell you that James is the best " professional team player" they have ever worked with.

That could be what interests Man City so much, when they already have many talented individuals but have yet to successfully build "a team."

I don't think buying James Milner will make them a team. He'll be in and out of their squad like everyone else.

Also, it's not just Milner who makes our team. Ashley Young is contantly tracking back, Gabby does his fair share of running every game. We have a good team spirit like a lot of Prem teams do. If the team doesn't change drastically every season then the team will play well together.

The thing with Milner is that he has an incredible workrate which would be hard to replace.

Özil wasn't totally unknown before the world cup. Just unknown to the majority of fans that don't regularly watch the Bundesliga (and most idiot pundits). Most managers would've known about him.

Your point being that bigger teams won't be going for him or something else?

Shillzz, we wouldn't get who? Schneider?

I doubt we'd get Ozil either. Even though a couple of World Cup appearances don't make a player. I'm sure bigger clubs that us will be after him.

I don't think we'd get either personally. But that's the sort of player you'd be looking at for £28m in my opinion. Which puts the Milner money into context.

Your point being that bigger teams won't be going for him or something else?

No the point was that the making of the player was done in the previous season. Personally I think the biggest teams will be tripping over themselves to get him and he'll be world class for the next decade. He has Xavi's vision and Iniesta's eye for goal. We haven't a hope in hell of getting anywhere near him.

@GarethRDR - I wouldn't be much of a Bundesliga man if Alt-153 wasn't in my vocabulary :) A fine salute though :nod:

There's a new rule coming in this year, not 100% sure on the terms but I think 7 (ish) players within any squad of 25 need to meet the Criteria for being home grown. What that entails exactly, I'm not sure.

Really gutted to hear the news but at least we can use the money to build. Frustrating but as Everton have shown with Rooney and Spurs with Berbatov - there is life after.

What news?

Other problem is this - yes we get £20m and people say we can get a world class player for that. Indeed you can but said player won't be interested in coming to a team like us. Players at the top want CL or big wages and we can't offer either.

I don't think I've ever read anyone on here claiming that we could currently attract a world class player. £20m or no £20m. I'd also say Milner is a long way from being world class.

Really gutted to hear the news but at least we can use the money to build. Frustrating but as Everton have shown with Rooney and Spurs with Berbatov - there is life after.

What news?

am i missing something also??.

Ozil was the stand-out player at the U21s finals 2 years ago - I only saw him play in two games on the telly and any idiot could tell he was a bit special. That's when a club like Villa needs to be finding new talent not when they star at the World Cup.

Last year when Ozil starred in the U21 Final, Werder Bremen had no intention of selling but for a huge amount because they eyed him to replace Diego. Either way, for a player like him you will have to pay mega bucks.

Last year when Ozil starred in the U21 Final, Werder Bremen had no intention of selling for a huge amount because they eyed him to replace Diego. Either way, for a player like him you will have to pay mega bucks.
Que Man City and there open cheque book..t

There's a new rule coming in this year, not 100% sure on the terms but I think 7 (ish) players within any squad of 25 need to meet the Criteria for being home grown. What that entails exactly, I'm not sure.

The Premier League will introduce a squad cap of 25 players and a quota on home-grown players from next season.

The 20 clubs have agreed the introduction of a home-grown player rule, which will take effect at the start of the 2010/11 campaign.

From next season, clubs must include eight home-grown players out of a squad of 25.‬‪

A home-grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the Season during which he turns 21).‬‪

Clubs will be able to supplement their squads with unlimited additional players under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences.

Changes to the squad list of 25 may be made during the period of a transfer window.‬‪

So unless you're Man City, it won't really make a jot of difference to anyone in the league.