What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

Not sure if I have missed it but just got home, turned on text to see milner saying he is unsure on where he will be next year.

I was 100% confident he would stay until I heard this.

Was this a direct quote though?

Yes, it's on sky text page 233.

Striaght from the horses mouth.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of things

Firstly, I've still not seen a reliable source confirming Milner has 2 years left on his deal. I think it's highly likely the club have an option for another year on top.

Secondly, If Milner is sold, I'd imagine Newcastle will have a sell on clause and Milner will pocket a good chunk (circa 10% unless he hands in a transfer request). 30 million gross might not yield that much of a profit - especially when you factor in the wages he has been paid. I still don't think he will go until he goes to the press and makes his position untenable.

I'd imagine Newcastle will have a sell on clause and Milner will pocket a good chunk (circa 10% unless he hands in a transfer request)

At the time we paid well over the top at £12m. I doubt very much there would be a clause on top of that.

Couple of things

Firstly, I've still not seen a reliable source confirming Milner has 2 years left on his deal. I think it's highly likely the club have an option for another year on top.

Secondly, If Milner is sold, I'd imagine Newcastle will have a sell on clause and Milner will pocket a good chunk (circa 10% unless he hands in a transfer request). 30 million gross might not yield that much of a profit - especially when you factor in the wages he has been paid. I still don't think he will go until he goes to the press and makes his position untenable.

There was no sell on clause in his transfer from newcastle

people have been saying he isn't world class. that isn't what makes him so vital to us in my opinion. it is his tireless workrate, couple with his very good ability and team-minded spirit which drives the rest of the team. see his 93rd minute sprint with the ball from our penalty area to the opposite end of the pitch to hold up play as a case in point. that is the attitude we need and as much as i rate players like young, he just isn't a milner in that respect.

Do you know for certain?

It's a pretty standard clause so I'd be surprised if there was nothing in the deal - but then again, it was under Mike Ashley!

Do you know for certain?

It's a pretty standard clause so I'd be surprised if there was nothing in the deal - but then again, it was under Mike Ashley!

Not when you pay £12 million you dont.

Do you know for certain?

This came out yesterday, mirror, no sell on clause.

Do you know for certain?

cheers - Mike Ashley, what a :lol:

Personally i'm not that concerned with the outcome of this transfer, if Milner stays i'll be happy, also if he went to city for £20 million + Ireland.

In fact the more I think about it, the more i'm leaning towards £20 million + Ireland.

I've read some peoples posts here about a swap deal for Carrick if he went to Man U, this would be my nightmare scenario, do not rate the lad at all!

id be delighted with £20m plus ireland, absolutely delighted. and i think city would be happy with it too

The only thing about signing Ireland would be, we'd have to switch to a 5 man midfield or replace Petrov IMO.

im gonna go out on a limb and say carrick and ireland in the middle of a 4 with downing and ash on the wings would be a far more balanced and effective midfield than what we've got right now

although im not a football manager

Hmmmm... who would win the ball back and do any hard work for the team? Also both Carrick and Ireland are Barryesque in terms of pace!

i think carrick is capable of providing the steel in the middle. he did a good job for spurs as a bit of an enforcer, without really being typecast in that kind of role. if he was willing to give it a go i think he could settle into that role full time. hes got a decent shot on him too, so that adds something we've really been missing from the middle the past few years

ireland isnt as slow as you make out either i dont think. hes no gabby, but hes quick enough, and hes got a phenomenal football brain

id have liked nrc to have matured into the holding man role, but hes not been given the game time to step into it, so i think that ship may have sailed

running with the theoretical £20m plus ireland deal for a minute, we could probably get carrick for £7-8m, that leaves us with 2 new players in midfield plus £12m to spend without any other sales or without needing money from randy. add into it the deadwood that we'll see leaving and i think we could be up around £25m to spend (after bringing in ireland and carrick), add in £15m from randy and we've got £40m for a top class striker, a secondary forward signing (dolye ill suggest here for £9m give or take), and a couple of miscellaneous players (right back?)

so although none of us want jimmy to go, i think in the bigger picture it might well turn out to be a potential catalyst for progression within the squad

you've only to look at how spurs do it. yes they spend a lot on big money players, but they finance it through selling their (supposedly) better players for huge money. if we cant just open the cheque book whenever we want, then thats the approach we need to be taking. smart signings like young and milner, then sold on at massive profit, might be the eventual way to the big time

Do you know for certain?

cheers - Mike Ashley, what a :lol:

dont know if you can blame ashley there, he got well over the odds in the first place. if anything it was very shrewd from our end... we possibly paid a bit more to ensure there was no tacked on clause for an eventual sale, with the long term assumption that we'd probably make a lot more on milner than we paid when/if we sold him

Personally i'm not that concerned with the outcome of this transfer, if Milner stays i'll be happy, also if he went to city for £20 million + Ireland.

In fact the more I think about it, the more i'm leaning towards £20 million + Ireland.

I've read some peoples posts here about a swap deal for Carrick if he went to Man U, this would be my nightmare scenario, do not rate the lad at all!

id be delighted with £20m plus ireland, absolutely delighted. and i think city would be happy with it too

The only thing about signing Ireland would be, we'd have to switch to a 5 man midfield or replace Petrov IMO.

im gonna go out on a limb and say carrick and ireland in the middle of a 4 with downing and ash on the wings would be a far more balanced and effective midfield than what we've got right now

although im not a football manager

Hmmmm... who would win the ball back and do any hard work for the team? Also both Carrick and Ireland are Barryesque in terms of pace!

snip

While United fans moan about Carrick I don't actually think there's much chance of him leaving as well as Ferguson saying he will only sign one player this summer.

Wile United fans moan about Carrick I don't actually think there's much chance of him leaving as well as Ferguson saying he will only sign one player this summer.

i think we'll see a few of their peripheral players sold on tbh

Just watched his press conference on the Sun website, seemed to me that all that he was really saying was he was 100% focussed on the immediate goal of getting into the England squad and playing in the World Cup, I couldn't read anything into his answer about staying at Villa one way or the other. All that was apparent is that he's desperate to go to the World Cup.

If he does go for silly money I hope we don't cough up the reported 15m for Carlton Cole.

Wile United fans moan about Carrick I don't actually think there's much chance of him leaving as well as Ferguson saying he will only sign one player this summer.

i think we'll see a few of their peripheral players sold on tbh

Carrick isn't one of them though and surely Giggs and Scholes will play less next year.