What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

i think he is irreplaceable right now the position were in, having 30 million is all well and good but were not a champions league club we do not pay champions league wages. We do not have a manager like wenger who scouts abroad for gems on the cheap so the question is who do we replace milner with? i cant think of anybody of equal or superior quality that would want to join us whats the attraction? Its all well and good saying were a big club with a proud heritage but do footballers now a days really care about that? Its all about the ££££ now.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all well and good saying were a big club with a proud heritage but do footballers now a days really care about that? Its all about the ££££ now.

Exactly. Liverpool are a big club with a proud heritage, but I don't think they are going to be attracting that calibre of player either this season.

Especially considering they are up shit creek. 8)

Said it before, and I'll say it again.

£15m + Ireland + Richards and I would shake hands on a deal!

I wouldn't mind Ireland but I am not sure about Micah Richards. I would prefer the money i.e. £25m + Ireland.

Said it before, and I'll say it again.

£15m + Ireland + Richards and I would shake hands on a deal!

That deal comes to about £30m+. I want £35m+ cash not the palyers and I think the club will hold out for it.

I guess if we can't afford to go out and buy a £30m player, then there is a question mark as to whether we can afford to keep one.

City have a model for their progress which is a line on a graph going straight up in the air - they want to be number one and they want to number one right now.

Our graph is a gentler slope, Randy is looking at the long haul in everything he's told us since he arrived - we have to trust him in that.

City buying Milner for £30m would fit in with their plan, us selling a player for a large sum of money and bringing in a couple of good players elsewhere might fit into ours.

Growing pains.

Ultimately Milner on his own might not be enough to get us into the top four, strengthening the squad might be enough to ensure we're not the team that drops out of the Europa placings next year. (At least one of us, Liverpool, Everton and Spurs will do that next season I think.)

If we get lucky with the players that we buy we can achieve more than that, but at the moment, slow but steady growth might be our aim even though it seems unpalatable to accept.

Unless we can boost our shoddy attendances and increase our revenues, Randy's plan for a club that is almost self sufficient might come to fruition one rung further down the ladder than we'd hoped. I certainly hope that isn't the case and I'm convinced Randy's ambitions are well above and beyond that, but at the moment the club isn't in a position to reach those ambitions today - so if the plan is to let Milner go in order to use the money to continue building our foundations then so be it.

I wouldn't see it as giving up on something, I'd just see it as accepting that this is going to take a little longer than we thought.

sorry city but one is taking the piss you want him that bad we'll take the 4 and the money or **** off !

'City will offer £20m plus a choice of one of four players in their attempt to lure James Milner from Aston Villa. England internationals Micah Richards and Shaun Wright-Phillips, Under-21 star Nedum Onuoha and Republic of Ireland midfielder Stephen Ireland are all being offered as bait.'

^^ Great post Scott.

One other way I think we can boost our attendances is for MON to go out and buy a couple of bums on seats players. He's done ok so far in the transfer market with more hits than misses, but, Milner and Ashley Young apart, Villa are gritty rather than spectacular, solid, rather than creative. I have said all along that this is the summer which will make or break MON as Villa's manager. If he gets it wrong then we'll be the team to drop out of the top six. As for the sale of Milner, a personal opinion but I'd take Bellamy (yes even at 31, why is age such a barrier?), Ireland and Richards. All three are worthy, top six players.

I'd love Milner to stay but the fact is that he's a £30m player and that's a luxury that we cannot afford. £30m to us will buy three very good players.

I'd sell for £30m+ and use the money to buy an international striker and 2 international central midfielders (one attacking, one more more defensive/holding). With the money we get for sidwell, etc. we could buy a top quality RB.

People will say that selling shows a lack of ambition but if somebody's daft enough to pay £30m+ for a lad (albeit with a great future) who's only got two years of his contract left, it's too big an opportunity to ignore.

Thats the thing, its quite tough to find a very good player for £10 million nowadays.

Maybe we already have Milner's long term replacement - Delph - I know he's out until Xmas but we can cope until then.

i have a feeling that this transfer would be more likely to happen if delph weren't injured.

I don't know whether this has been mentioned or referred to and it is only paper talk and Barry is recovering from his injury but from The Times:

At yesterday’s training session in Irdning, Capello took an extended look at a 4-2-3-1 formation, with Rooney supported by Gerrard, Theo Walcott on the right wing and Aaron Lennon on the left. James Milner looks an increasingly likely starter in midfield.

I don't know whether this has been mentioned or referred to and it is only paper talk and Barry is recovering from his injury but from The Times:

At yesterday’s training session in Irdning, Capello took an extended look at a 4-2-3-1 formation, with Rooney supported by Gerrard, Theo Walcott on the right wing and Aaron Lennon on the left. James Milner looks an increasingly likely starter in midfield.

That would be a brilliant formation in which Milner could thrive either in the place of Lennon/Walcott or as part of the 2 in front of the defence.

I think OBE's post above sums it up for me. We're in different places as clubs at the moment. It's a lot of money and some of the players on offer are quite decent. We need more decent players. We could use money. It makes a lot of sense to me.

It's my own personal opinion that 30m for Milner is more than fair, and more than he's worth. Could we replace him with the money? Maybe, maybe not. But I don't think our midfield was good enough to make the top four this season, and that was with Milner. I think his personality and work-rate have blinded some people to the fact that he doesn't have world-class technique or talent. This is not a player on the level of Fabregas here, and yet Fabregas is rated at 40m. It's insane, for me. Our strength this year was our defence. Milner wasn't carrying the team a la Fernando Torres or a Ronaldo. Our team won't be much different without him next year. We'll be worse off without him, but how much worse? It's hard to say.

My problem with selling Milner is more the message it sends out to the squad. Our hard work and chemistry is a large part of the reason we've been successful over the last few seasons. Selling Milner might make the squad defeatist. 'We had two goes at 4th, didn't quite get there, and we sell our best players. Why keep trying?' I have faith MON wouldn't let that happen, but you can see where I'm coming from.

But having watched Milner all year as a Villa fan, would I be terrified of seeing him in opposition colours, as a Utd or City player? Ultimately no. Which is why I don't mind whether he stays or goes.

That would be a brilliant formation in which Milner could thrive either in the place of Lennon/Walcott or as part of the 2 in front of the defence.

Be interesting that.

I think his personality and work-rate have blinded some people to the fact that he doesn't have world-class technique or talent. This is not a player on the level of Fabregas here, and yet Fabregas is rated at 40m.

Nail on head for me. Journalists are by nature lazy morons who will happily retread each others' opinions rather than doing proper research, and who only pay proper attention to Villa when they absolutely have to. That's why a bandwagon has grown up around Milner in the last few months; a VERY good player, much improved and incredibly hard-working, is being portrayed as a GREAT player, when frankly he isn't.

If Citeh or the small club near Fulham want to throw silly amounts of their dirty money at him, at a time when we clearly haven't got huge amounts to spend, then we should probably cash in. It's not that i want him to leave, but he's not irreplaceable. and we need to be realistic

I think his personality and work-rate have blinded some people to the fact that he doesn't have world-class technique or talent. This is not a player on the level of Fabregas here, and yet Fabregas is rated at 40m.

See, if Milner played for Arsenal I doubt you'd have that point of view. Milner is a player with tremendous talent. Equally strong with both feet, has very good close control, can pick a pass and will run all day. Yet even our own fans refuse to believe what they see in front of their own eyes.

Milner has the all the attributes to be a superstar except one...... ego.

If Milner had more "swagger" about him he would be a media darling.