What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

Wile United fans moan about Carrick I don't actually think there's much chance of him leaving as well as Ferguson saying he will only sign one player this summer.

i think we'll see a few of their peripheral players sold on tbh

Carrick isn't one of them though and surely Giggs and Scholes will play less next year.

i think carrick is the most likely to be sold. theyd get decent enough money for him to put towards someone else, and fergie ALWAYS comes out and says there wont be many signings, then BANG hes spent £30m on a couple of players out of nowhere

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may sound stupid, however i have always wondered... What's to stop Man City giving James Milner £8m to buy out his contract and then getting him for free, costing them only 8m?

you cant buy it out til youve only a year left

and if they were caught doing that theyd probably be banned from signing anyone for years

It may sound stupid, however i have always wondered... What's to stop Man City giving James Milner £8m to buy out his contract and then getting him for free, costing them only 8m?
It being illegal?

Personally i'm not that concerned with the outcome of this transfer, if Milner stays i'll be happy, also if he went to city for £20 million + Ireland.

In fact the more I think about it, the more i'm leaning towards £20 million + Ireland.

I've read some peoples posts here about a swap deal for Carrick if he went to Man U, this would be my nightmare scenario, do not rate the lad at all!

id be delighted with £20m plus ireland, absolutely delighted. and i think city would be happy with it too

The only thing about signing Ireland would be, we'd have to switch to a 5 man midfield or replace Petrov IMO.

im gonna go out on a limb and say carrick and ireland in the middle of a 4 with downing and ash on the wings would be a far more balanced and effective midfield than what we've got right now

although im not a football manager

You don't flippin' say.

Ireland meandering from one end of the penalty area to the other waiting for someone to pass to him, while Carrick stands in the centre circle staring at the sky looking at the seagulls isn't really what dreams are made of.

Ireland meandering from one end of the penalty area to the other waiting for someone to pass to him, while Carrick stands in the centre circle staring at the sky looking at the seagulls isn't really what dreams are made of.

and like dunne being the woeful defender everyone bar about 3 of us said he was last summer eh?

:P

and like dunne being the woeful defender everyone bar about 3 of us said he was last summer eh?

:P

Nope, not even slightly like that.

Ireland would be fine, even if he is mad. Carrick would be the most pointless investment we could make this summer, short of putting Heskey on a five year contract.

I dunno, I think he could do it

What about veloso... Did he move in the end last year?

Nope. Still in Portugal.

I think we can all agree that the problem with Petrov is that he isn't the most mobile player and tires towards the end of games. In spite of that, he is a good passer, good tackler (in the first 60 minutes of matches anyway), committed and comfortable on the ball albeit sluggish and immobile.

So, we would be swapping that for someone who was a good passer, not a particularly good tackler, not particularly committed and comfortable on the ball albeit sluggish and immobile.

This is hardly a step up.

I think his age means it's only the last year of the contract that is "unprotected". And he has to inform the club about his intentions within days after the end of the season. And, most important, if it's proven that the club he signs for has been in contact with him, they are banned from signing players for a year.

So he can do it next summer, but if Villa complains and there has been contact between player and new club, they will get the penalty.

Man City don't care about money, but they do need to sign players. And I don't think Milner would do anything like that. Which means it's not likely to happen next summer, and certainly not this.

I think his age means it's only the last year of the contract that is "unprotected". And he has to inform the club about his intentions within days after the end of the season. And, most important, if it's proven that the club he signs for has been in contact with him, they are banned from signing players for a year.

So he can do it next summer, but if Villa complains and there has been contact between player and new club, they will get the penalty.

Man City don't care about money, but they do need to sign players. And I don't think Milner would do anything like that. Which means it's not likely to happen next summer, and certainly not this.

i was talking about carrick playing the petrov role there, not jimmy buying out his deal :lol:

I think a player has to be 28 to buy out the last year of their contract.

Can they only move to a foreign league as well?

Aston Villa to hold emergency talks with James Milner before World Cup

Aston Villa have agreed to hold talks with James Milner before the England squad fly to the World Cup in an attempt to persuade the midfielder to reject a move to Manchester City.

By Sandy Macaskill

Published: 7:12PM BST 21 May 2010

Paul Faulkner, the club’s chief operating officer, will meet Milner and a representative from the Professional Footballers Association after England have played warm-up matches against Mexico and Japan, to conduct what have been described as preliminary discussions.

It is unlikely the meeting would result in the 24-year-old signing a new contract with the Midlands club. It is understood Aston Villa are hoping to secure a verbal agreement from Milner, before he departs for South Africa on June 2, that he will commit his future once he returns from international duty.

Conspiracy theorists will perhaps find it intriguing that it is not yet certain whether Martin O’Neill and Randy Lerner will attend the meeting. Lerner, the club’s owner, will join Faulkner as long as his commitments in the Unites States do not cause a conflict. One presumes that O’Neill would want to present the vision he has for the club.

Certainly, it appears as though their combined persuasive skills will be required if Villa are to retain Milner — if they decide to reject an anticipated bid that will almost certainly surpass £25m, that is — with it becoming increasingly apparent that the former Newcastle winger would not be averse to the move.

Villa have already rejected a £20 million offer from City out of hand this week, while sources insist that contrary to reports Chelsea have not - yet - enquired about the player.

Clicky

Conspiracy theorists will perhaps find it intriguing that it is not yet certain whether Martin O’Neill and Randy Lerner will attend the meeting. Lerner, the club’s owner, will join Faulkner as long as his commitments in the Unites States do not cause a conflict. One presumes that O’Neill would want to present the vision he has for the club.

Suppose its better than "an insider said"

Man City to offer Ricards, Wright-Phillips, Onuoha or Ireland plus £20m for Milner

Manchester City will offer £20million plus a choice of players to lure James Milner from Aston Villa.

City boss Roberto Mancini is so desperate to tie up the England midfielder that he is preparing to go all out in negotiations.

He will leave the £20million Villa have already refused on the table but will also let Martin O’Neill take his pick of one of four players.

England internationals Micah Richards and Shaun Wright Phillips, under-21 star Nedum Onuoha and Stephen Ireland will be offered on top of the cash to tempt O’Neill to give up the fight for his prized player.

However O’Neill is determined to do everything he can to repel City’s advances and is desperate not to lose his Milner to City.

Villa chiefs will meet Milner before the World Cup in a desperate bid to keep him.

Milner is tempted by a possible switch to Eastlands where he could expect to double his £45,000-a-week wages.

But Villa haven’t given up on keeping Milner on a new lucrative contract.

And chief executive Paul Faulkner has agreed to hold talks with Milner and his PFA representatives before the star jets to South Africa on June 2.

Villa owner Randy Lerner and boss Martin O’Neill may attend the talks if they are in the country on either May 31 or June 1 when Milner is free before flying out on international duty.

He is not likely to agree or sign a new Villa contract before the World Cup but Villa hope a verbal agreement could be followed by formal signing when he returns from South Africa.

Mirror Mirror on the wall

Looks like they've been reading VT.