The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

• 2 weeks later...

I adore the brand split.

It is offering a far better product than it has for several years now.

I personally think that aside from a few RAW shows it has stayed largely the same. They haven't tried to shake it up that much really. Sure there are a few more stipulation matches on RAW now and a few more title matches, but it's largely the same main event, mid and low card talent being used. So much underutilised talent on RAW which is a shame. RAW is still great but the true highlight of the brand split is Smackdown Live.

Holy shit does Smackdown Live kill it every week. I adore that they keep trying different things and pushing different superstars. The Miz and Dolph Zigger have been reignited and are tearing it up week in week out. The women are slaying it and I love that there are always numerous feuds on the go. TLC had two women's matches each with months of story lines to back them up. Smackdown is pushing upcoming talent like Baron Corbin, Alexa Bliss, Carmella and American Alpha incredibly well. Hell they have even given Randy Orton and Bray Wyatt purpose for the first time in years. None of this would have happened without the brand split.

Another great thing about the brand split is it allowed WWE to truly redefine the era. They kept spouting "The New Era" shit for months and months prior to the split but it meant seemingly nothing. Everything felt the same as the "Reality Era", but now it feels different. "The New Era" seems set on pushing fresh new talent, while presenting their main shows in a more exciting light. We are seeing more stipulation matches on their televised main shows now. Then we get the biggest change that the women are no longer locked to singles, tag and fatal four-way matches. Since "The New Era" started three months ago we have had a women's "Hell in a Cell", "Falls Count Anywhere", "No DQ" and "Tables" matches. This is a great step forward and makes WWE feel fresh it's exciting to watch the women tread new ground.

The brand split for me gives me a reason to watch. It also gives me a team to support. I watch RAW, but I am a fan of Smackdown Live and that inter-brand rivalry is also cool to me.

PS. Talking Smack on the WWE Network is so good. One of the greatest things WWE have come up with in a while.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

I adore the brand split.

It is offering a far better product than it has for several years now.

I personally think that aside from a few RAW shows it has stayed largely the same. They haven't tried to shake it up that much really. Sure there are a few more stipulation matches on RAW now and a few more title matches, but it's largely the same main event, mid and low card talent being used. So much underutilised talent on RAW which is a shame. RAW is still great but the true highlight of the brand split is Smackdown Live.

Holy shit does Smackdown Live kill it every week. I adore that they keep trying different things and pushing different superstars. The Miz and Dolph Zigger have been reignited and are tearing it up week in week out. The women are slaying it and I love that there are always numerous feuds on the go. TLC had two women's matches each with months of story lines to back them up. Smackdown is pushing upcoming talent like Baron Corbin, Alexa Bliss, Carmella and American Alpha incredibly well. Hell they have even given Randy Orton and Bray Wyatt purpose for the first time in years. None of this would have happened without the brand split.

Another great thing about the brand split is it allowed WWE to truly redefine the era. They kept spouting "The New Era" shit for months and months prior to the split but it meant seemingly nothing. Everything felt the same as the "Reality Era", but now it feels different. "The New Era" seems set on pushing fresh new talent, while presenting their main shows in a more exciting light. We are seeing more stipulation matches on their televised main shows now. Then we get the biggest change that the women are no longer locked to singles, tag and fatal four-way matches. Since "The New Era" started three months ago we have had a women's "Hell in a Cell", "Falls Count Anywhere", "No DQ" and "Tables" matches. This is a great step forward and makes WWE feel fresh it's exciting to watch the women tread new ground.

The brand split for me gives me a reason to watch. It also gives me a team to support. I watch RAW, but I am a fan of Smackdown Live and that inter-brand rivalry is also cool to me.

PS. Talking Smack on the WWE Network is so good. One of the greatest things WWE have come up with in a while.  

completely agree. your getting players like ambrose aj styles, owens getting larger roles better than seeing cena every week

I see there is going to be a tournament in Jan to crown a WWE UK Champion. The idea being they want to have some bettwe 'localised' content for the Network.

A bit odd, but I guess they don't want to lose any of the market to the return of World of Sport on ITV at new years - with comms by none other good ol' JR.

The two hottest brits at the moment won't be there of course - Zack Sabre and Will Ospreay - but it appears Finn Balor will be competing.

• 3 weeks later...

With us being on the cusp of the new year, it means only one thing in the world of professional wrestling...the return of World of Sport. 

Just kidding, it's Wrestle Kingdom. Kenny Omega taking the big one would be huge, so much so I'm not entirely sure they'll have him win it...but therein lies the unpredictability of this predetermined sport, which I suppose is why many of us keep coming back to it. 

It's pretty much nailed on to be the event of the year. 

Somewhat surprisingly WoS was well worth a watch, decently entertaining 2 hours considering it was in prime time ITV. Hope they commission a full series. 

He's not American enough sadly. Nor is he from a country with a large ex pat population in the US, or a country with a market the WWE are interested in appealing to  

If he were from Maryland instead of Switzerland he'd have been a main eventer years ago. Weird that where you are from matters so much in that business, but it really seems to. 

Raw is possibly the worst it's ever been since I started watching it as a kid. Its only Jericho that's remotely worth watching. Vince has even made Enzo & Cass stale and boring. Think I've seen my last show for a long time now.

Smackdown on the other hand is consistently good. Styles is on another planet. The only real negative is Ellsworth. 

9 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Raw is possibly the worst it's ever been since I started watching it as a kid. Its only Jericho that's remotely worth watching. Vince has even made Enzo & Cass stale and boring. Think I've seen my last show for a long time now.

Smackdown on the other hand is consistently good. Styles is on another planet. The only real negative is Ellsworth. 

Yeah my 3 months free with the Network ends after the Rumble and I won't be rushing to renew it for Wrestlemania at this rate if Cena is just going to beat Styles and things go back to as they were.  It's a shame because there are some greater wrestlers about.

I've already decided I'll be getting rid of the network after Mania this year.  I've hated the product since the brand extension but I'll keep it for the two best ppvs whilst watching loads of attitude era in the mean time.

On 03/01/2017 at 09:47, Ingram85 said:

Completely agree raw sucks. Smack down is superb. Styles is fantastic. Would love taker vs styles at WM. Have a feeling styles will win and fight Orton at WM

Â