• Collins
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Delfouneso (for Warnock 77)

anyone know why sidwell went into the lower holte at half time?

I didn't see what happened but I saw the cheering and him climbing out of the stand. I'm guessing he hit someone with the ball (lets face it, as long as they weren't standing in the goal he'd probably hit them)

:D

The game typified our form since christmas for me.. very predictable forward play which works well & creates goals IF THE DELIVERY IS GOOD. As it is it has been pretty atrocious lately from A Young & Downing in particular. Then i never rated Downing anyway & always got really frustrated at his poor crossing in the England games he used to be in.

Another thing is why oh why does Cuellar keep thinking he's a winger? He simply cannot cross a good ball & should give it to someone who can instead! The times a move is ruined because of this is scary!

Otherwise a very average performance all round though i thought Milner got motm.

As for 4th spot?..... I gave up on that after the Wolves game so don't care about it now just want us to get Europa League.

and talking of growing a pair, stuart **** downing...

Again with the Downing bashing..

I don't get it?

Was there really that many challenges that he pulled out of or didn't go for?

As far as I could see, from the Holte, Downing played well and didn't shy away from any challenges..

I like Downing, but I have to agree with the other poster, he does tend to bottle it when it comes to a 50/50.

I think it's since his serious injury.. Psychological scarring?

Anybody else think we played it a bit differently in front of goal tonight? I know we still went wide an awful lot whenever we could, but I thought there was some really good stuff outside the box, particularly from Stan/Downing/Milner which created a few chances. It also dragged all the Everton players inside which allowed for us to have more space when we eventually did put the ball out wide. We didn't do it enough though, we still seem to go wide too much.

Guest Ricardomeister

The ref was poor but it was Max Branning who gave the Warnock foul for the first goal (I had a clear view and it was obviously not a foul). However, the main fault for the goal was with whoever let probably the best header of the ball in the Premiership have an unchallenged header from 6 yards out....and then repeated this in the 2nd half.

Overall I thought we fought well but again lacked inspiration in the final third and 4-5-1 would have been a better option. I still think some fresh legs and ideas would benefit the team.The result was satisfactory as we should now be able to keep ahead of Everton, and hopefully 7th will still get us into Europe. And finally I hope that the top 4 argument can now finally be put to bed. We were clearly, imo, never good enough to get a top 4 spot and 7th is just about right, given that Everton have had such bad injuries.

Anybody else think we played it a bit differently in front of goal tonight? I know we still went wide an awful lot whenever we could, but I thought there was some really good stuff outside the box, particularly from Stan/Downing/Milner which created a few chances. It also dragged all the Everton players inside which allowed for us to have more space when we eventually did put the ball out wide. We didn't do it enough though, we still seem to go wide too much.

This was my main frustration when the final whistle blew.

We played some really nice stuff around the centre of the pitch - but all of our goals (and their's come to think of it!) came from crosses & headers.

I like to think that MON is working on a new gameplan and that tonight was a sneak preview!

In MON I Trust!!

Positives:

Didn't lose and came from behind twice

More playing time for Del boy

Negatives:

Cuellar at right back

Ashley Young marking Cahill

Giving the ball away too easily

Not freshening the team up

The Big gap behind our centre midfield that gets exposed so easily

Can't say I'm thrilled with yet another draw although Everton are a decent team. The midfield mix isn't working IMO.

How has Cuellar got 7 votes for MOTM - thought he was very poor tonight - don't forget we paid £8m for this guy.

Plenty of effort - villa ran there socks off - and despite the result, this was one of the best games I have seen at VP for ages.

Petrov seems to have taken defensive midfielder to new extremes !!!! - the number of times he got the ball in a fairly advanced position - he should have run on with it - but he stopped, slowed the game down, then played an 8 yard sideways pass to cuellar !

I agree with Chindie on Cuellar. Not MotM, but he played very well. I didn't even know who was playing left wing for them for the first half hour because Carlos took him out of the game. He also (and he's done this alot this season) put in some nice balls along the ground into the box, instead of just crossing it hopefully.

Friedel 6. Had one save to make, routine. Not at fault for either of the goals.

Cuellar 5. Clueless going forward, crossing poor. Good defender but a better overall player is needed to play at right back

Warnock 6. Did ok, but was badly exposed a couple of times when Everton broke down the left. Downing let him down a time or two.

Dunne 7. Played well

Collins 7. As Dunne

Downing 4. Crossing generally poor, that's what he's in the side for. Defensively wank. Was at fault for Cahill's second goal, although I would have had Dunne marking him instead of Downing. Looks under confident in his all round game and I'm pleased he didn't get booed.

Milner 8. Usual self although he gave the ball away twice. Class player.

Petrov 6. Kept the ball well.

Gabby 7. Came alive in the last ten minutes or so, after his well taken goal. He needs to chase and harrass throughout though.

Carew 6. Missed a sitter after working his way into a good position. Not very mobile tonight but did ok.

Young 6. Again, only two decent crosses during the game that I can remember.

Delfouneso 7. Worked hard and added some pace. This boy should be getting a regular 20 minutes.

Overall, we nearly blew it after getting back in to the game. Somehow, I knew we would. We kept the ball well, but where did we go with it? The ball needed to be in the box a little more and with better crossing perhaps could have been. I tipped a draw before the game. Another game where we missed a couple of good chances. Played quite well but not quite direct enough tonight and tended to overplay a little. I think MON has come as far as he can with this set of players. More investment is required. Stating the obvious I guess.

Petrov and Milner were immense tonight but I've given MOM to Stan.

Thought we played pretty well and gave our all so you can ask no more. Crowd were superb tonight and actually tried to get the team going instead of the other way round. Loads of support for Mon as well which was good to see.

Milner was outstanding as usual

He was all over the pitch for 90 minutes

I thought Cuellar played very well. Was decent going forward and did well defensively. (He's not exactly going to be amazing going forward so I don't expect too much but he has improved going forward.) I think Cuellar playing right back has improved him a lot as a player. I think he's better technically now.