• Brazil
    • Germany
    • Spain
    • England
    • Argentina
    • Italy
    • Holland
    • Other

The latitude issue will play a huuuuuuuge factor IMO, and in this case it'll be a South American team that'll win (their teams play in rediculous latitudes and this experience will be vital.)

So for that reason Brazil because they are the best of the S.American bunch, but Argentina will do well.

Dark horses? Chile.

A team from Europe has never won the tourney outside of Europe.

Worth remembering.

While this is true, I feel it is largely irrelevant given that we're in the relative unknown of Africa.

Could it also be due to difference in temperatures/climate? Is a South African winter mild? :D

Worth remembering.

While this is true, I feel it is largely irrelevant given that we're in the relative unknown of Africa.

UEFA representatives didn't do exceptionally well in 2002 either (Korea & Japan being about as unknown in the context of international football venues).

Worth remembering.

UEFA representatives didn't do exceptionally well in 2002 either (Korea & Japan being about as unknown in the context of international football venues).

Turkey and Germany in the last 4?

Add to that the other world cups played outside of Europe:

USA 94, Winners Brazil. The other three semi finalists were UEFA sides (Italy, Sweden, Bulgaria)

Mexico 86, Winners Argentina. The other three semi finalists were UEFA sides (West Germany, France, Belgium)

Argentina 78, Winners Argentina. Two of the four semi finalists were UEFA sides (Holland lost the final, Italy finished 4th)

Mexico 70, Winners Brazil, Two of the four semi finalists were UEFA sides, (Italy lost the final, West Germany finished 4th)

UEFA had two semi finalists in Chile in 1962, and two in Brazil in 1950. Even with the travel issues in Uruguay 1930, UEFA still had one semi finalist. It's not like European teams have never been in the running when the finals are held elsewhere.

Thats true but Europe does have twice as many countries entering than all the other continent.

Yes Europe should make up 2 of the 4 semi places by default. Only really Brazil and Argentina are proper competition for the other 2 places.

Thats true but Europe does have twice as many countries entering than all the other continent.

I think you somewhat missed my point.

Â