The VT Baby club

kimmie

People look at you like you are weird if you dont want to know. It's a recent phenomenon too. My daughter was 5 last month, and at the time people asked if we knew what we were having, we said "no" and that was that.

Mrs The_Rev is currently 8 months pregnant. Same question, "do you know what you are having?" gets a completely different response this time. We say "no" and people give quizzical looks and ask why. Its one of the few nice surprises left in life, that's why!

Agree with Rev. We didn't know the sex with either kid, and we didn't want to - mind you, the technology wasn't as good in those days, anyway.

I also enjoyed the middle of the night stuff. I learned to walk up and down our landing (seven paces in each direction) with a baby in a sling, patting her back with one hand and reading a book with the other.

Or go downstairs, sit in the rocking chair with her and watch whatever strange stuff was on TV in the middle of the night (again, much less choice in those pre-digital days, although a surprising amount of overseas football).

No bottles mind, they were both 100% breast-fed - this was just to get them off to sleep afterwards (and let Mrs M do the same).

Yes, it was tiring, but I loved it.

I expect I'll get some beer for Father's day as a small payback!

We found out in advance with our kids. I wasn't bothered myself, but the missus wanted to know. Her rationale was that the whole thing was gonna be a big enough shock to us anyway, regardless of knowing the gender. But then she is also the sort of person who will always try and find out what xmas/birthday gifts are in advance. I think it's the not knowing that kills her...

The one real positive for me of knowing in advance is it halved the task of working out names. This was difficult enough as it was, without having to come up with options for either outcome!

The one real positive for me of knowing in advance is it halved the task of working out names. This was difficult enough as it was, without having to come up with options for either outcome!
It was a bloody good job we had two girls, as we had agreed on girls' names within about half an hour of discussing it.

We were at a total stalemate with boys' names though, would have been a nightmare.

• 1 month later...
It was a bloody good job we had two girls, as we had agreed on girls' names within about half an hour of discussing it.

We were at a total stalemate with boys' names though, would have been a nightmare.

The wife and I can only agree on boy's names. We are really struggling with girl's names. It's not even that we can't agree on one, we are just drawing a blank. Is this a weird sign that we will have a boy?

We had our 20 week scan yesterday, and found out we're having a baby girl. Just an incredible feeling that I can't really describe. Last night in bed I was trying to imagine how the next 20 years of my life would pan out with a daughter......amazing.

Timely bump (pun intended) because we genuinely thought that Mrs The_Rev was going to have the baby last night. She was having contractions every two minutes, she is 38 weeks and 5 days pregnant and our first baby came after 38 weeks and 4 days. Went to the hospital last night, but things seem to have calmed down again. I am just about to go through a tortuous 8 hour shift at work waiting for the phone to ring again though. Wish us luck!

Congratulations to Villarule123 & dean_allen.

& good luck to Rev.

our second one is due in November.. another boy! and we have no names left from choosing the name first time round.

we had lots of girls names, but total blank with boys names. opposite of VillaEire - maybe we can trade names :)

The wife and I can only agree on boy's names. We are really struggling with girl's names. It's not even that we can't agree on one, we are just drawing a blank. Is this a weird sign that we will have a boy?

Did you by anychance choose the name jack ?....if not it must have been on the short list

• 3 weeks later...
Â