The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

you do realise sound only comes out of the left hand speaker don't you, the right hand one is just for show.

That's not true is it?

It is true mate, i couldn't work it out myself at the time, doesn't really make any sense but you defo only get sound out of the left hand side.

Reason for price drop is the fact that Iphone has only sold something like 20m handsets because of price etc

Don't know where you heard that Den but apparently Apple make as much money from one iPhone sale as Hewlett Packard do from ten Laptop sales. The profit on the iphone is vast apparently, so 20m pieces of vastness means its making serious money for Apple, they don't need to drop the price because of bad sales, they are coining it in, in fact Apple rarely ever price drop because of anything other than imminent updated hardware. Their strategy is all about keeping the price high (and increasingly so if you look at their recent announcements re new computers)

you do realise sound only comes out of the left hand speaker don't you, the right hand one is just for show.

That's not true is it?

It is true mate, i couldn't work it out myself at the time, doesn't really make any sense but you defo only get sound out of the left hand side.

Yeh I've looked it up now, a good samaritan VT member PM'ed me a link. The left "speaker" is exactly that, a speaker. The right "speaker" is in fact the microphone for the phone.

Makes me feel better to know I haven't done any real damage to it (although I have broken my solent button also, but I don't really need that!)

Reason for price drop is the fact that Iphone has only sold something like 20m handsets because of price etc

Don't know where you heard that Den but apparently Apple make as much money from one iPhone sale as Hewlett Packard do from ten Laptop sales. The profit on the iphone is vast apparently, so 20m pieces of vastness means its making serious money for Apple, they don't need to drop the price because of bad sales, they are coining it in, in fact Apple rarely ever price drop because of anything other than imminent updated hardware. Their strategy is all about keeping the price high (and increasingly so if you look at their recent announcements re new computers)

Newspaper article last week, think it was in the Mail (yeah I know!) but it was looking at how apple have lead the way and now others will take over.

I seriously wouldn't buy an iPhone right now, they have come down in price for a reason - £rd gen isn't too far away and Third gen wil have all those bits missing from the 3G, namely video and native MMS

I'd hang on tbh, might be worth the wait, if it'd ot, you'll be able to buy a dirt cheap 3G anyway

I have the Iphone 3G on contract, and was told I would get the Third Gen free - all I had to do was trade my Iphone in. Basically, she said I have a two year contract with Apple, and any updates of the Iphone they do I am entitled to. Is she lieing then :? ? Or is this the case with you lot too ?

No, if your contract is running.

Its something they put in as there will be a new iPhone once in a blue moon.

Its the software updates they do more often.

A free upgrade?? So I have an iphone, i'm currently in contract for said iphone with o2. Are you saying when and if a new one comes out I can get an automatic upgrade? Surely not? :S

It might depend on your contract you have, but everyone i know with an iPhone O2 contract will get the new iPhone as an upgrade.

Saying that they are on business contracts.

Best check your tariff :)

Software version 3 will give you MMS amongst other things so you wouldn't need to upgrade to receive that featuer (assuming you have a 3G version of the phone )

I think he means free download of the software update to Version 3

No it doesn't, it means free upgrade of the actual phone.

iPhone OS3 will be a free upgrade for anyone right down to a 2G model, just update though iTunes as normal; when it comes out.

whats the cheapest contract for the iphone?

£29 I think ? Although, it is like 75 mins/125 texts... The next one up is the one I'm on. £35 a month, with like 600 mins and 500 texts.

Pay as you go is £340-400, though.

Just checked with a friend who works for o2 he does not believe a new iphone released this year Just the fw 3.0 upgrade. He also said if and when a new one comes out they will not be doing free upgrades to existing iphone contract holders, Apparently they did this for teh 3g as it was only a minor upgrade and it came out so soon after the first one, This was heavily subsidised by Apple.

The price hasn't really dropped its just cheaper on a 24 month contract. Actually on 24mth contract it costs £110.00 more than if you paid £100 for an 8gb for 18 months

Â