General Krulak (part 3) - Questions

BOF

General Krulak here:

1. Like everyone else, I was terribly disappointed in today's result. It was NOT what was expected and it was certainly a low point.

3. The idea that we must run out and get a Manager just to say we have a Manager does not make sense. To mention a specific name and expect that specific person to show up on Monday does not make sense. To now turn on Paul as the new scapegoat for a defeat does not make sense. I understand people are upset...so am I. At the same time, I am not going to urge Randy or anyone else to run out and grab any manager just to say we have one. It is obvious that getting the right person is not something that is done overnight.

4. One good game...one bad game...does not a season make.

Sensible as always, I think.

To throw my tuppence in, General, I would suggest it is better to suffer a couple of bad results now than to appoint a manager who would undo 4 years of terrific work under Randy and Martin O'Neill.

However this is based on the idea that the board is working as hard as humanly possible to get a proven manager from european club football in, and is willing to bear the costs necessary to do so. My questions would be - has the board narrowed down the list of candidates to 3-5 interviewable candidates? Have the board interviewed anyone yet? Has the board been rejected in any approaches to managers? I suppose might not be able to answer those, but we as fans would love to know.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, as always. Bad day for the club.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously a very bad at the office, everything went wrong today and it highlighted a few things that have already been covered and im sure it was a one off, however what i want to ask you gen is, are the players going to apologise at all for today? are they going to forego this weeks wages? (or our 2-4 years salaries to put it in perspective!!!! :x :x :evil: ) are the club going to reimberse the travelling fans who wasted their day?

actually gen, could you read the bit i bolded and pass it on to the players please, maybe put things into perspective for them a bit, make them realise just how lucky they are!

Hopefully next week will be different.

General Krulak here:

... 3. ... I understand people are upset...so am I. At the same time, I am not going to urge Randy or anyone else to run out and grab any manager just to say we have one. It is obvious that getting the right person is not something that is done overnight.

4. I wish I could answer all your comments and address all your concerns. I wish I could say we have the world's best manager and he will be here tomorrow. I wish I could say that Messi will be on the Pitch next week. I wish I could say alot of things but I can't. What I can say is that we are NOT as bad as we showed today...and that we have better days coming. One good game...one bad game...does not a season make.

General,

Suggesting that Villa fans expect Messi in the claret and blue while being managed by the best manager in the world all within two weeks time of losing the manager is a bit of an unfair response to the faithfuls' concerns. It's easy to dismiss fan angst as a "sky is falling" over reaction but I hope that is not how the board and Mr. Lerner really feel about the fans' concerns.

We have lost our manager under clouded circumstances. We have lost our engine and (not to mention PK taker) in Milner. We have 9 days before the transfer window closes. We are being managed by someone who openly admits to his ambivilence of keeping the job full-time. We are at a goal differential of -3 after only two weeks and this is after scoring 3 goals of our own in our opener. Is it not fair that fans who are aching to know if all of our oars are in the water are not thought insane for wanting reassurances other than "we are not as bad as we showed today?"

Can we be told if transfers in are being considered? Can we be told who, if anyone, is evaluating the personnel needs of the team? Can we be told if a list of most wanted managers has been formed? Can we be told if Mr. Lerner has a broad time frame for an appointment?

I do accept that this current state of anxiety lies at O'Neill's feet for walking out but even you know that what is past is past and let's move on. But in order to move on we have to have a tangible plan. Good plans have targets and time frames. It seems that is all the fans are truly asking about.

I appreciate that you post here because you certainly do not have to as most teams do not offer that type of access to their fans. So as always, thanks for taking the time.

Hi General,

You were very quick in your responses regarding questions asked about MON! However your not so forthcoming over questions asked about the board! We have no direction, KM doesn't know whether he's coming or going and that he will not speak to Randy for another week or so! It's like placing 1 soldier in Afghanistan with a rifle and saying they'll be no reinforcements or a General appointed until the 'right person is found, you've totally left him on his own to deal with mistakes you have made by not being clear and concise over directtion

I dont know if this question as already been asked, and if so then i apologise for my laziness in not checking back through all the posts.

Could i ask who is making the Football decisions?

Is it KM or the Board.

Steven Ireland, whose decision was it to go ahead with, since it seems strange that we are bringing players to the club, when we dont have a manager.

Licaj signing a three year deal, again without a manager.

And i would like to echo some of the posts above. Is the decision not play Davies football or finance based?

Will any of the money recieved for Milner be redirected into the playing side of things?

And.....

How will any new manager be able to strengthen the team in so little time, when it seems, that you have only just drawn up a shortlist?

Its ok harking on about not rushing things, but i think thats exactly what we should be doing based on yesterdays humiliation. Besides, i think fans have a right to be impatiant, especially since we bought into the clubs grand "5-year plan".

Time is running out General, and the team needs strengthening.

Finally General, i hope my post does not come across to negative. Ive supported this club now on thirty years and have been proud to do so.

General Krulak here:

1. Like everyone else, I was terribly disappointed in today's result. It was NOT what was expected and it was certainly a low point. Rest assured, NO ONE is happy about the result...not the owner, not the Manager, not the Board and not the players. Believe me, there is not a single player on the squad who wanted a result like that. They are professionals and want to do a professional job.

2. I am not going to answer MON questions...he left and that is that. What I will say is that MON did NOT have funds removed at the end of July...that sort of rumor does no one any good.

3. The idea that we must run out and get a Manager just to say we have a Manager does not make sense. To mention a specific name and expect that specific person to show up on Monday does not make sense. To now turn on Paul as the new scapegoat for a defeat does not make sense. I understand people are upset...so am I. At the same time, I am not going to urge Randy or anyone else to run out and grab any manager just to say we have one. It is obvious that getting the right person is not something that is done overnight.

4. I wish I could answer all your comments and address all your concerns. I wish I could say we have the world's best manager and he will be here tomorrow. I wish I could say that Messi will be on the Pitch next week. I wish I could say alot of things but I can't. What I can say is that we are NOT as bad as we showed today...and that we have better days coming. One good game...one bad game...does not a season make.

Wow - I now see things more clearly... Thanks General :bang:

General

Following yesterdays defeat, once i'd stopped throwing inanimate objects at the TV screen & abuse at the 11 people lucky enough to be wearing the lion rampant on their shirt (but not one of them could condsider themselves to be worthy of wearing that lion rampant i got to thinking. Players receive a 'loyalty' bonus do they not where they are rewarded for honouring a contract or a win bonus for winning a game?? Why don't you consider a similar scheme for the loyal fans of the football club?? for example Yesterday the travelling fans should receive "an embarrassing, humiliating, disgraceful humping bonus". This is how i see that particular scheme working - a 6-0 defeat realises a 100% refund on match ticket & travel - a 5-0 humping realises 50% refund - 4-0 25% - 3-0 10%?? You could fund it by deducting it from the players wage packets!!!!! After watching that yesterday i think this scheme will save myself & many other loyal villans like me a load of money this season???

Also General i do appreciate the fact that since Randy took the club over you have acted as the first genuine interface between the fans & the boardroom. I also appreciate that Randy has put significant investment into the club on & off the park!

That said right now is not the time for ambiguous, saying lots but saying nothing bullsh1t PR answers / quotes. Now is the time when as fans we want it straight! You said in a previous response "rumours like that do no one any good" Well General, the easiest way to stop that is to come out & tell us whats going on!! The truth & the whole truth!! We may not like it but at least frustration won't be born out of Mushroom management!!!!

VTID - Smudge

Surely getting the right person in is an urgent matter though. I dont like moaning but we seem lost as a club, no manager (even K Mac it seems is not sure whether he would want the job) and the inability to strengthen places which seem clear to the majority of Villa fans (a striker). I think we just need to hear something from th club and have some reasurrance that you are trying all you can to get us the right man for the job and that it will be done sooner rather than later.

Also as somene else has mentioned will the money we recieved from the Milner deal be reinvested in the club/team? As you can appreciate football is a passionate game and people spend a lot of money on their teams colours, travelling to games etc etc. We have players earning more in 1 week than what I earn in 4 years and judging by yesterdays performance they could not care less about the fans or club.

Cheers General

UTV

General

Following yesterdays defeat, once i'd stopped throwing inanimate objects at the TV screen & abuse at the 11 people lucky enough to be wearing the lion rampant on their shirt (but not one of them could condsider themselves to be worthy of wearing that lion rampant i got to thinking. Players receive a 'loyalty' bonus do they not where they are rewarded for honouring a contract or a win bonus for winning a game?? Why don't you consider a similar scheme for the loyal fans of the football club?? for example Yesterday the travelling fans should receive "an embarrassing, humiliating, disgraceful humping bonus". This is how i see that particular scheme working - a 6-0 defeat realises a 100% refund on match ticket & travel - a 5-0 humping realises 50% refund - 4-0 25% - 3-0 10%?? You could fund it by deducting it from the players wage packets!!!!! After watching that yesterday i think this scheme will save myself & many other loyal villans like me a load of money this season???

Also General i do appreciate the fact that since Randy took the club over you have acted as the first genuine interface between the fans & the boardroom. I also appreciate that Randy has put significant investment into the club on & off the park!

That said right now is not the time for ambiguous, saying lots but saying nothing bullsh1t PR answers / quotes. Now is the time when as fans we want it straight! You said in a previous response "rumours like that do no one any good" Well General, the easiest way to stop that is to come out & tell us whats going on!! The truth & the whole truth!! We may not like it but at least frustration won't be born out of Mushroom management!!!!

VTID - Smudge

Second this - is it true we're holding on until after Sept 1 to announce it, so that the transfer window is closed?

If so, has Randy stopped taking lessons from Doug how to run this club because that would be very much the Doug Ellis move...

General,

Please just answer the following two questions:

1. Do you expect to have a competent Manager in place before the end of August?

2. Do you expect the club to sign any new players before the end of the transfer deadline?

I dont know if this question as already been asked, and if so then i apologise for my laziness in not checking back through all the posts.

Could i ask who is making the Football decisions?

Is it KM or the Board.

Steven Ireland, whose decision was it to go ahead with, since it seems strange that we are bringing players to the club, when we dont have a manager.

Licaj signing a three year deal, again without a manager.

And i would like to echo some of the posts above. Is the decision not play Davies football or finance based?

Will any of the money recieved for Milner be redirected into the playing side of things?

And.....

How will any new manager be able to strengthen the team in so little time, when it seems, that you have only just drawn up a shortlist?

Its ok harking on about not rushing things, but i think thats exactly what we should be doing based on yesterdays humiliation. Besides, i think fans have a right to be impatiant, especially since we bought into the clubs grand "5-year plan".

Time is running out General, and the team needs strengthening.

Finally General, i hope my post does not come across to negative. Ive supported this club now on thirty years and have been proud to do so.

I'm not sure what the average exactly is, but I'm sure this club over the last 15 years must have finished around 7th at worst (At a guess)

That is fine.

What does set alarm bells ringing is when a manager departs, the owner bemoans the income/wages ratio and then signs a player that is probably worth 8 million pounds and an equal top earner.

Fair play if you are going top appoint KM as manager, but if not - we may as well have a Saddam as manager.

General Krulak here:

1. It is somewhat interesting and, at the same time, disconcerting to come on the site and try as best I can to answer comments and questions only to be told it is "PR" stuff...that somehow I should be laying out who we might be talking to as a Manager, who we might be targeting as a player, etc. etc. Opening the kimono in that manner just doesn't make sense! I have said it in as many ways as I think I can...we are looking for a Manager. Please think about the issue...our previous Manager left us 5 days before the season. MOST talented managers are already employed...they have jobs...they are not sitting at home waiting for us to call. Yes, there are some out there that have great talent but they are currently doing something for someone else. This means digging deeply into the pool that is available...getting feedback and info from advisors on who and where. This is NOT something that is done in two weeks...yet that is what you expect. I am telling you it doesn't work that way but most of you will just gaff me off and say it is all PR. KM is not hemming and hawing about the position...like anyone in his position, he is weighing the situation...that doesn't make him a bad person. Curtis Davis not playing because of a contract issue/clause...what a load of nonsense. This is NOT accurate! Again, I say this but there will be those who don't believe it. Crazy!! Randy is cheap...Randy won't spend money...again, nonsense. Simply put, doesn't the past four years say anything about his willingness to open his checkbook???? Hasn't he been willing to spend?? To think that there are fans out there who will take "any" Manager just to ensure that we can get a striker before the window closes...is that shortsighted or is that shortsighted!!!!! As an aside, what talented strikers are out there for sale right now? Do you all happen to know them...do you know more than scouts and agents????

2. Yes Randy wears his scarf....one terrible game or ten...he will wear the scarf because he believes in what it says!

3. IKAVFC: I absolutely don't understand it when fans say that "Randy and the Board won't be hurting like us supporters" (when talking about the loss or about the Club.) Like the supporters have some God-given claim to have deeper feelings about the Club than the man who bought it and has worked so hard over the past 4 years and put in his own personal effort and capital to make it better....or the Board who have also worked so hard. Like we somehow can't possible feel a kinship for and with the Club. Like we, because we have not been associated with the Club for as long as many fans, somehow are not "real" fans. What crap! That's like telling one of my Marine Lance Corporals that he can't possibly love the Corps as much as I do because he hasn't been in long enough. That sort of thinking just totally misses the mark with me. Let me try to be clear as I can be....forget about Randy or Paul or anyone else....just me...I love AVFC...I bleed claret and blue....I come on this site and others, NOT as some Club shill, but because I DO CARE about are Club. You can call me any name you want to call me but...get off of this "I don't hurt like you do" kick...it is NOT true.

4. Villanesque. We are not sitting still. Comments like that make no sense. If you just look at this as a business, why would Randy possibly just sit still...and let his business have problems??? Come on...think.

5. maradonna10: You are very quick to jump on Randy and the Board...which is your perogative as a fan and as someone who pays good money to see his Club play. I respect that as your right. That does not mean I have to agree with your comments, your insinuations, or your conclusions. Likewise C4Villan, talking of a "false dawn" does nothing for me. What is false about where we have been and where we want to go? Where do you honestly and truthfully feel you would be if the Club had not been sold? A great many good people at Villa Park and Bodymoor Heath have been working their butts off to move the Club forward...we will get there!

Hi General,

Thanks for answering some people, but I think the same questions will be asked even after what you've said.

Some fans would like to know if there will be a possiblity of us signing any players before the transfer window closes? but seeing as we don't have a full time manager in place at the moment how would that be possible if you were to answer yes to the first question.

Thank you for still coming here and answering our concerns.

Yes, Randy Lerner has spent the amount of money that was needed for a top 6-8 finish. And that is good.

But it is the spending the next four years that will decide our future. Currently, it looks like Lerner is not too keen to keep the spending at what can be described as a modest spending. That is a concern to many of us.