General Krulak (part 3) - Questions

BOF

Hi General,

It's been mentioned on a few other threads how we don't really have an anthem as such, in the way West Ham have "forever blowing bubbles", Man City have "Blue Moon", and even that lot down the road have one in "Keep Right On". The most prominent song we have (imo) is "My Old Man" which is littered with swear words and references to past players, so in that respect in can't really be sung forever!

One of my favourite Vills songs is:

The bells are ringing for the claret and blue,

The fans are singing for the claret and blue,

Everybody is knowing,

To the Villa we are going,

Cause the Villa are showing,

We're the best in the land.

BEST IN THE LAND!!

To quote another poster from another thread, it is "timeliess".

I was wondering whether it would be possible to get someone half-decent to record this and have it played when the players enter the pitch (like Man City with Blue Moon, Everton with Z cars etc) because then I'm sure it would help it catch on as I only ever hear this sung before games in pubs or at the concorse at half time.

Cheers General

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Krulak here:

1. First and foremost, let me thank the Fans at Wembley!!! They were magnificent! Although I wasn't able to make the game, I have heard from EVERYONE at Villa and they said the Fans were superb. Randy, MON, and the Lads all asked that I pass on their thanks for the huge support. As you know, the lads played their hearts out...and much of the motivation came from the fans. The game itself was marred somewhat by some questionable calls. At the same time, my military background is such that you need to recognize the possibility of a bad call and just win anyway. We didn't win and that is the reality. We have been to Wembley twice this season and didn't get a win. That is tough to take...but think of the teams who never made it to Wembley. I HONESTLY AND SINCERELY believe that we will be back at Wembley again and we will win. I feel that in my soul. Do we still have a ways to go...I think we would all say that we do. At the same time, we have come a long way and we know what we need to do. With the support of the fans, with a great owner, with a solid team and a fine Manager, we will make it!!

General - long time viewer, occasional poster here.

Absolutely well said above. I was proud to be a Villa supporter on Saturday, the noise in the 2nd half from our end was deafening & great fun to be involved in. Most level headed fans will be as philosophical as yourself in that the team played as well as Chelsea allowed them to play. We had the better of the 1st half & but for a couple of key decisions, we might have had enough to finish the job. The matter of these referreeing decisions is a debate for another thread as it is a problem that 'smaller' clubs such as ourselves are having to contend with far too often. Anyway I digress, I just wanted to post to say your comment above is the most sensible thing I've read on here since Saturday. Well said & I wish you good health.

A big thank you to the team, Martin, Randy & yourself for allowing us to taste the dream this year. Hopefully it's the start of something bigger. & I still believe this season is far from over.

General,

In my humble opinion the most important signing we will make this summer will be Martin Oneil continuing his rolling contract.

We have come a huge distance in a small space of time , to lose Martin in the summer would be massive for the long term future of this club.

cheers.

Hi General,

Im a long time viewer first time poster. I would just like to thank yourself, Randy and the rest of the board working behind the seasons for the progress we've seen over the past few seasons.

I was at Wemberly at Saturday and although a key decision went against us I think the class and the depth between us and Chelski showed (e.g. when Drogba went off Anelka came on compared to Carew going off and Heskey coming on). Although I think there was clear difference in the class between us and Chelsea I do belive we have progressed this season the club has made us proud and we will continue heading in the right direction.

Apologies if this question has been asked before, but has it been decided what the teams plans are pre season?

General

Just an early doors question and apologies if it’s already been asked. Roughly which month will the new 3 kits for next season be released?

By released I mean able to view not necessarily to buy. Any other information on them would be nice.

Thanks for everything yourself, Randy and MON are doing for the club, it is appreciated!!

Hi General,

Would you be able to make checks to clarify the current and/or likely position of the Europa Cup placings for this season please? We would like to know, if we finish 7th, would this be good enough to get us a place, given the plight of Portsmouth Football Club. Exactly what is the position?

Steve.

General Krulak here:

1. Steve-Orchard: Lot's of water has to go over the dam before all this is settled. I will see if I can get an answer for you when I am at Villa Park.

2. DANVANDAL: I will see if I can get you an answer when I see John Greenfield at the shop.

3. On my way to UK in an hour...see you all at Villa Park...or at least 38,000 of you!!! U[ the Villa!!!

General Krulak here:

1. I spent over 3 hours with Randy yesterday am and then at the game. His morale is high....even with the result last evening. Obviously he wanted a win...VERY much. The fact that we didn't get the win DOES prey on him...don't get me wrong. But, at the same time, he was encouraged by the way the lads kept at it and fought to the end. My own personal feelings were somewhat tempered by the fact that it was my first trip to Villa Park this season and my first view of the lads. I thought James Milner was absolutely immense and lifted our lads at a critical time. Cahill did what Cahill does...and I wish we were more effective in marking him. My own "non-professional" opinion was that we got the better of the first half and could have been ahead except for some exceptional play by a damn Yank in the goal. We played well in the 2nd half but could not break through. The last ten minutes were will with both squads playing full out for the win...some exciting football. Again, not necessarily artistic but full out football. We really have our work cut out for us now...and will need some help from others as well. A tough one to loose...especially at home.

2. It was really good to see so many fans and friends last night. Again, I thought our fans did all of us proud.

3. I went down to Heathrow to catch my plane this am and all flights were cancelled. I am down to my last set of underware so will be doing my wash in the bath tub! Such is the life of a Marine General!!

General, bit of a rant about the holte pub here. Got the game at about half 6 last night and fancied a pint. Didnt really feel like going into one the surrounding pubs (we had to in the end) so tried our luck in the Holte Pub, which was open to all season ticket holders. Got there as about 7 people walked out, yet were then told it was full. Clearly if it was full before the people came out, it was operating over capacity and therefore a health and safety issue...

General Krulak here:

1. I spent over 3 hours with Randy yesterday am and then at the game. His morale is high....even with the result last evening. Obviously he wanted a win...VERY much. The fact that we didn't get the win DOES prey on him...don't get me wrong. But, at the same time, he was encouraged by the way the lads kept at it and fought to the end. My own personal feelings were somewhat tempered by the fact that it was my first trip to Villa Park this season and my first view of the lads. I thought James Milner was absolutely immense and lifted our lads at a critical time. Cahill did what Cahill does...and I wish we were more effective in marking him. My own "non-professional" opinion was that we got the better of the first half and could have been ahead except for some exceptional play by a damn Yank in the goal. We played well in the 2nd half but could not break through. The last ten minutes were will with both squads playing full out for the win...some exciting football. Again, not necessarily artistic but full out football. We really have our work cut out for us now...and will need some help from others as well. A tough one to loose...especially at home.

2. It was really good to see so many fans and friends last night. Again, I thought our fans did all of us proud.

3. I went down to Heathrow to catch my plane this am and all flights were cancelled. I am down to my last set of underware so will be doing my wash in the bath tub! Such is the life of a Marine General!!

Thanks for the reply, really hoping Randy is here for a long time and the same goes for Martin.

General,

A post tucked away in the middle of the kit thread on Heroes and Villains says that a Villa tour guide said that it is rumoured that our next kit will be stripes. Now of course, no-one on here would ever believe rumours on an internet site, would they.... :lol:

But seriously, just to be clear, just in case Randy ever gets tempted: Aston Villa DO NOT play in stripes. Between 1894 and 1982 (with a six month heretical intelude in 1969), the template (not the individual designs of course) was a no-brainer. Between 1983-84 and 2001-02, the classic model template (and even the shade of the colours!) had rather too much competition from variations which were not worthy of our great club. Co-incidentally, this "downturn" seemed to co-incide with the return of a Mr H.D. Ellis, that great architectural vandal.

Anyway, if ever you're tempted: DON'T DO IT!!!

Now to my question: I wouldn't ask you to comment on that silly rumour, but please could you tell us Randy's policy towards the issue of the basic kit template. I have to say, his record so far has been excellent....

General,

First post for me, been following your thread for a while and think it's great that you interact with us in this way. Personally, despite the lows of the wembley games, i've been so proud seeing Martin and the team play at our national stadium for the first time in ten years and give both Utd and Chelsea a good game.

Could i ask that you pass on our congratulations to James Milner on his shortlisting for PFA Young Player of the Year. He's been immense this season and fully deserves it. Looking forward to watching him play for England at the World Cup and doing us proud. Let's hope he'll become a legend for us over the next 10 years!

General,

No flights again today, may I suggest you get yourself a ticket for Pompey tomorrow (and some more underwear)

Bully

p.s and a big bunch of flowers for Mrs K

General Krulak here:

1. fonz: Welcome to the thread!! Take it from me, Milner will win Young Player of the Year!!! Mark today down in your calendar...I said that Milner would win and he will! There is NO more deserving man!

2. I went to Bodymoor Heath today to look at the fitness program. I must admit that I was impressed. I have seen many programs in my day and I don't think I have seen a program that has such a detailed measurable component to it. We are able to measure output for each game...each player...each second. It is very good.

3. I spent 3 hours with Randy on Wednesday and time with MON last night at the reserve game. Both are focused on the next 5 games. The rumors that have been flying about are just that...rumors. Both men know where they want to take the Club and are dedicated to reaching the goal. Both specifically mentioned the Fans and how much they appreciate the support they have been given. They also both recognize that the season has been one of tremendous highs and disappointing lows...but both both feel that we are making sure progress. If we were to do a highlight film on this season, starting with the Peace Cup, two Wembley appearances, some great wins over the "top 4", some remarkable come back wins, etc....we'd have a great film. MON is totally focused on the Villa and on getting victories in the upcoming games. His energy level is high and his motivation very strong. At this important point in time, I think we all need to continue to support Randy and MON as we go through the next few weeks as they will be critical to us.

4. The reserve match was superb! Some of the young lads really did us proud.