The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I'm considering stopping up for it, but I'm lagging already. That first fight didn't help, **** me nothing happens for 3 rounds and the fella quits.

I've got money on Pacquiao UD, with a complete punt on a group round KO. Since Mosley's never been stopped that really is a punt, and even if he is 39 he looks in incredible shape.

yeah what the **** went on with that fight? the bloke was barely even rocked

shouldnt be paid if you ask me, it should not be in a boxers mentality to just stay in his corner after a round unless he is seriously injured. Very rare that you see that most would wanto carry on even if it means death just as a matter of pride

im alright I fell asleep during prize fighter and woke up at 2:10 so i'm full of beans at the moment

Fell asleep about 4 rounds into the Arce/Vasquez fight, so missed the main event.

My main bets came in though, yay. And my complete punt on a KO included the round Mosley was shaken in, so had he gone down then I'd have earned either way.

I don't think it will be a great fight to be honest mate. Abraham has the power to potentially make things interesting but I think Ward will deal with him fairly comfortably and take a wide decision. Ward is not the best fighter to watch on the eye either. :thumb:

Cheers pal.

It was better than I was expecting but Ward still took a wide decision. AA asked a couple of questions in the early rounds with an uncharacteristic fast start but Ward adjusted quickly and took control. The judges had it 120-108, 118-110, 118-111 in the end. Froch is going to have to bring something special to beat this kid, should he get past Johnson.

Bit of trivia for you; Andre Ward has not lost a fight since 1996... when he was 12 years old.

did any one watch the webb/prince aaron fight on friday?

cracking it was how webb managed to go as long as he did I havent got a clue

he was rocked to the core in the 5th, 9 out of 10 refs would have stopped the fight but he managed to get his legs under him again and slugged it out before getting stopped in the 12th, its a shame though he clearly took a battering in the second half but deserved to make it to the end though.

did any one watch the webb/prince aaron fight on friday?

cracking it was how webb managed to go as long as he did I havent got a clue

he was rocked to the core in the 5th, 9 out of 10 refs would have stopped the fight but he managed to get his legs under him again and slugged it out before getting stopped in the 12th, its a shame though he clearly took a battering in the second half but deserved to make it to the end though.

Yeah, cracking fight but it really should have been stopped in the 5th. Webb took some real unnecessary punishment there and it's the kind of beating that will shorten his career.

I watched Webb/Aaron. TBH I thought the ref got it right. I think he probably let it continue in the 5th because Webb was the champion and it's only right to give a champion a chance to recover rather than take his title cheaply. Aaron was really casual and let him back into it. It was a good watch though.

I think as much of the blame lies with Webb's corner for not pulling him out as the ref. I don't think stopping it in the 5th would have been taking the title from him cheaply at all, he was out on his feet for most of the round. Anyway...

Some cracking fights coming up next weekend:

Juergen Braehmer vs Nathan Cleverly (WBO Light-Heavyweight)

James DeGale vs George Groves (British Super middleweight)

Jean Pascal vs Bernard Hopkins II (WBC & RING Light-Heavyweight)

First 2 on SkyBoxOffice, Hopkins fight is on SkySports4 on Sunday at 11am (Delayed coverage) :thumb:

Juergen Braehmer vs Nathan Cleverly has been cancelled

apparently Braehmer opened up a cut yesterday so has pulled out of the fight. Frank Warren wants him stripped of his title.

makes that £16 for the pay per view even less appealing

Yeah, I saw this too. It's funny how PPV shows seem to be cursed at the moment, isnt it?

DeGale - Groves was the marquee fight on this bill though, at least that one is still happening.

At least the last time Clev fought against an opponent at a weeks notice it was an entertaining bout. Oh. Wait...

:lol:

Mohammedi didn't exactly come to fight. It's looking likely that it will be Bellew on Saturday, which is a lot better opponent than I was expecting when I found out about Braehmer. I don't give Tony much chance but with the power he's got, you never know.

I'm enjoying some of the banter for the DeGale-Groves fight...

Â