The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I had it 113-112 to Khan. His chin has certainly improved and I think a lot of credit has got to go to Alex Ariza for that (no, I'm not suggesting anything) and also he now knows how to cover up and get on his bike after taking a big shot.

Yep, that's pretty much what I said, only worded differently :P

Should be a rematch though, that point deduction had an impact if your scorecard is correct.

Pretty much :P

I'd love to see a rematch and Maidana definitely deserves one but I really can't imagine GBP will ever fight a puncher like him without needing to. Rumour is Zab Judah over here in March and then a unification against the winner of Bradley vs Alexander (Bradley :winkold: ). Pretty shit match up against Judah but can't complain after he has just fought Maidana and has a unification lined up for after.

Joe Cortez is useless... nothing new there.

I scored it 114-112 to Khan, if i was the Referee though i might have stopped it in the 10th, he took a right beating but the way he came back in the 11th was class. His chin is obviously not as bad as everybody thought because of the Prescott fight. How does everyone think that Hatton in his prime would do against the likes of Khan, Alexander, Bradley and Maidana??

I scored it 114-112 to Khan, if i was the Referee though i might have stopped it in the 10th, he took a right beating but the way he came back in the 11th was class. His chin is obviously not as bad as everybody thought because of the Prescott fight. How does everyone think that Hatton in his prime would do against the likes of Khan, Alexander, Bradley and Maidana??

If it had been stopped in the 10th it would have been a little premature but it wouldn't have been the worst stoppage of the night. It wasn't just the Prescott fight that had given Khan the glass jaw label. He had been put on queer street by non-puncher Willie Limond and super-featherweight Michael Gomez.

I'd have Hatton beating Alexander, Khan and Maidana. I'm less certain about Tim Bradley. It's hard to say yet though because I don't think we have seen the best of Khan, Alexander, Maidana or Bradley yet.

As WI said peak Hatton beats this Khan, Maidana and the overrated Alexander but struggles with Bradley IMO but still wins. But Khan and Alexander are probably 4 or 5 years off there peak and Bradley is just reaching his peak. Put it this way a 24 year old Khan beats a 24 year old Hatton.

The Hatton that fought Kostya Tzsyu would have beaten them all. I'll admit I havent seen much of Bradley since the Junior Witter fight, but I thought Bradley was somewhat fortunate to beat Witter that night.

Dunno. I had Witter on the night, but its one of those ones where I'll accept the judges decision. Lots of swing rounds in the fight that are open to interpretation.

Saw the 10th and 11th rounds of the Khan fight yesterday. Khan did well to get through the 10th and just edged the 11th for me.

So was that a good or bad performance by Khan? How good good is Maidana supposed to be?

Good in the sense that he shown he could take shots and get on his bike.

Bad in the sense that he let Maidana get on the inside far too easily.

Maidana was meant to be a crude slugger who could only punch, he shown in the Khan fight that he is a lot better boxer than we were giving him credit for.

Pretty much what he said. Maidana is ranked top 5 in the world by everybody and he is the hardest puncher in the division (his KO percentage is scary) so perhaps the accusations that he is merely a slugger are a bit unfair, it's not his fault he knocks people out so quickly!

Everybody knows Khan's strengths, he has decent punching power, a good technique and blistering speed. After he got dropped by the Irish lad and then knocked out by Prescott everybody said he had no chin. I think this fight proved he can take a good shot. Maybe he doesnt have a granite chin like Muhummad Ali, but people cant call him Glass Joe any more either. Its definitely a good win for Khan, anybody who wins a "fight of the year" will get a bigger TV audience for future bouts so his profile in the States will only get bigger. He wont want too many more of those style brawls though, they can take years off of a pro career.

I wasn't sure if Khan was making Maidana look better than he is. Khan's chin definitely looked better than previous fights, although his legs went on a few occasions.

I'm not sure how good will Khan be. Will he have the chin to go up the weights and win world titles?

I wasn't sure if Khan was making Maidana look better than he is. Khan's chin definitely looked better than previous fights, although his legs went on a few occasions.

I'm not sure how good will Khan be. Will he have the chin to go up the weights and win world titles?

He shown by taking shots from the biggest puncher in the division he definitely has a good enough chin for 140. Moving up to 147 could be a different matter mind.

(Press Release) Haye camp urge Wladimir Klitschko to agree to 2011 unification

WBA world heavyweight champion David 'The Hayemaker' Haye will attempt to 'smoke out' Wladimir Klitschko in 2011, and hopes the German-based Ukrainian is similarly determined to unify the sport's flagship division.

WBO/IBF world heavyweight champion Klitschko has set a deadline of January 4 to agree terms for the unification clash, and Haye's trainer and manager Adam Booth claims all previous stumbling blocks have been removed.

“We are now perfectly positioned to get together and make this fight with Wladimir Klitschko,” said Booth. “We have sorted out all the old problems and disagreements and are ready to sign the deal both (Klitschko's manager) Bernd Boente and I discussed on Sky Sports' Ringside show in November.

“Despite the fact we know we bring more UK television money to the table, David and I are happy to split the entire pot 50:50 and grant Wladimir the deal he has wanted since day one. We have offered them 50:50 on everything – just as they requested – and now see no reason why this tremendous fight can't happen. The path is clear.”

The 30-year-old Haye shares Booth's positivity and insists that, should Klitschko want the fight as much as he does, there will no longer be any reason for the unification clash not to happen in 2011.

“We have now ticked every box they have asked us to tick and I just hope Wladimir is as eager to fight as he tells everyone he is,” said Haye, 25-1 (23 KO) in his pro career. “We have removed every possible excuse and have shown we are serious about making this fight become a reality. I'll smoke him out if I have to.

“I only pray Wladimir is as serious as we are, because this fight needs to happen for the good of the sport.”

Interesting...

Â