The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Pacquiao to fight Shane Mosley on 7th May!

Should be a good one.

:?

I hope you're not being serious.

Who else is he going to fight?

Mosley knocked out Margarito didn't he? But he went all the way with Pac Man...

It will be over 2 years since he beat Margarito when he fights Pac. Since then he has been shutout by Floyd, in which he was gassing after about 4 rounds, and then most recently drew against Sergio Mora. :|

Who else? The fight that the fans want to see is the completion of the Marquez trilogy.

• 2 weeks later...

Haye-Wlad off, again... Wlad-Chisora back on.

"Got off the phone with Bern Beonte: Wlad-Chisora resked for 4/30. No Haye fight now. They agreed on points, but couldnt find date/site."

"Only thing available was 7/2 that matched RTL & Sky. Wlad didnt want to wait 9 months tween fights. Haye didnt want him taking interim."

"So this is not an issue about the deal points between Klitschko and Haye. It is logistical."

"Boente said he hopes they'll come back together and make fight later this year. Haye, if he wants, can certainly take an interim as Wlad is."

Gary Mason RIP

Former boxer Gary Mason killed in cycling accident

• Former British heavyweight champion dies aged 48

• Killed in collision with van in south London

The former British boxing heavyweight champion Gary Mason has died in a cycling accident in London.

Mason, 48, was involved in a collision with a van in Wallington, south London yesterday and was later pronounced dead at the scene.

London-born Mason became British heavyweight champion in 1989, and his only defeat in a 38-fight professional career came in a European title fight against future world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis in 1991.

After retiring from the ring in 1994, Mason had a brief foray into rugby league, playing three games for the London Broncos, and also appeared on the hit television show Gladiators.

Link

I remember he opened a business called Punch & Jewelry......bling for boxers & all that stuff.

Off out on a daily bike ride, as part of his routine (my guess anyway). Just goes to show, you never know what's in store.

RIP Mase.

Terrible news. :( RIP

He was a good fighter, Mason. So much so he was actually betting favourite going into the Lewis fight.

In other news... it looks like Wlad is going to shit on all of us and sign to fight Adamek in September. Vitali has said he wants Haye and will fight him whenever, wherever though.

Followed his career closely, as I was really into Boxing at the time. Good boxer, good puncher, reasonably swift hands for a big man, good chin, but a little cumbersome around the ring.

I thought he was foolish taking the Lewis fight, TBH. I don't think he needed to, although his retina problem would have flared up anyway sooner or later.

Shocking news though. Great boxer, and a top bloke too it seems.

Good tribute from Bunce on the Independent.

Click

Gary Mason: Former British heavyweight boxing champion

41-Mason_530802t.jpg

By Steve Bunce

There was a moment of raw drama in the seconds between rounds six and seven of Gary Mason's last proper fight as a professional boxer in Wembley's grand and stained ring in March 1991.

Mason was the defending British heavyweight champion and after six rounds two judges had him level. The referee, a kindly ex-amateur star called Larry O'Connell, had Mason in front by a slender margin. However, Mason's left eyebrow was cut and bleeding and his right eye was totally lost under a grotesque swelling; more disturbingly, his young opponent, Lennox Lewis, was hitting him at will. Twelve months earlier, Mason had undergone surgery on his right retina, an eye that was no longer even visible. "The pain was unbelievable," Mason said.

O'Connell traipsed to the corner, peered anxiously over the shoulders of the men desperately working on Mason's wounds, and was clearly intent on stopping what was slowly becoming too painful to watch. Instead, Mason's cutsman and good friend Dennie Mancini mouthed: "Don't, it's his living." O'Connell, with his head a little lower, backed away, but had no alternative 44 seconds later when he finally rescued Mason from the fists of Lewis. It was, as the great British boxing writer Harry Mullan wrote, "pure blind courage" that kept Mason going.

Related articles

Boxing: Former British champion Mason dies in accident

Former boxing champion Gary Mason is killed in cycling accident at age 48

Search the news archive for more stories

Mason entered the ring that night unbeaten in 35 fights, ranked No 4 in the world and as the slight betting favourite. He exited the orchestrated savagery facing an uncertain future, with no chance of ever being allowed to box again in Britain with his damaged eye. Lewis fought on, became the undisputed world heavyweight champion, the best fighter of his generation and a relaxed family man with $100m safely stashed. Three years later, Mason somehow acquired an American licence and knocked out two bums before finally quitting the ring in 1994 when he was correctly refused a British licence. "I made peanuts for those two fights. Rubbish money," Mason said.

There are wins on Mason's record that prove he was a massively underestimated British heavyweight, but the damaged retina, sustained in a March 1990 fight, finally ruined a proposed Mike Tyson fight and eventually, after the Lewis loss, forced Mason to retire having lost just once in 38 fights. Perhaps his best win was against the 1984 Olympic champion Tyrell Biggs in 1989; a win that moved him close to a Tyson fight.

The Tyson fight never happened and Mason never really had the same profile as Frank Bruno. He was known as "the other British heavyweight" for so long and toiled in Bruno's shadow – and sparred with his great neutral nemesis for years. Mason always maintained that it was Bruno's fists, during sparring, that damaged his eye, a simple declaration without malice from a man with few, if any enemies. His smile and deafening laugh eased all situations, even on the streets of Battersea, Wandsworth and Clapham where he grew up after leaving Jamaica as a baby.

"Me and Frank have very different aims. He wants to be the world champion and I just want the money!" Mason said.

Away from boxing, Mason ran a jewellery store called Punch 'n' Jewellery, made an attempt at promoting boxing in which he pushed himself as the British Don King, and embarked on an arm-wrestling adventure that was briefly screened. "Honest, it's the greatest sport in the world," Mason said.

He played three professional games of rugby league for the London Broncos, scoring a try in his first match, but there were dull stints as a security guard in a hospital and too many anonymous years driving a taxi. He also tried his hand in the music business with a white rapper. "Buncey, trust me. He's Stockwell's Eminem," Mason implored me at the time.

He also briefly had a prominent position at Sky as part of their fledgling and entertaining boxing team in the early Nineties. Sadly, what he thought was an off-air rant about a fellow presenter's garish tie ended with his sacking, and no doubt the first of countless visits to the job centre. "I wait in line and I still have to sign autographs at the job centre," said Mason.

In September 1991 Mason arrived at St. Barts Hospital late one night to meet with stricken boxer Michael Watson's mother, Joan, who was staying in a tiny room next to the intensive care unit. A week earlier, over 17 million people had watched on ITV as Watson collapsed in the 12th round of a fight against Chris Eubank. A few weeks before the fight, Mason, who had been forced to retire six months earlier, had been given £10,000 after a benefit evening at the Circus Tavern. Mason was never a wealthy man.

He sat with Mrs. Watson, prayed with her and then visited Michael, who had boxed on the same night when Mason made his debut in 1984. Mason cried as he stood over Watson's still body in the eerie glow of the intensive care unit. They had been friends for a long time. When Mason left Barts that night, long after midnight, he was £10,000 pounds lighter. "Michael's family needs it more than me," he said. He refused every effort by me to make the donation public.

Just over a year ago I bumped into Mason in Shepherd's Bush one morning and invited him to be a guest on my BBC London show. He agreed; we talked about his heavyweight days, fights at Battersea Town Hall and the lack of depth and excess of cash in the division now. He just laughed that great big booming Mason laugh and smiled.

"I don't regret a thing or envy anybody," Mason told me. "Nobody said it was going to be easy."

Gary Mason, boxer: born Jamaica 15 December 1962; died London 6 January 2011.

Real shame this. Remember watching a lot of his fights in the mid - late eighties and early nineties. A good fighter but always in Brunos shadow not because Bruno was a far superior fighter just that Bruno was very much the public/media darling. Very good at domestic/european level and I'm pretty sure it was an eye problem ended his career far earlier than it should.

Anyone interested in Timothy Bradley Vs Devon Alexander? Cannot wait for this fight. For me this is the third biggest fight that could be made in boxing, with the first being Mayweather-Pacquiao and second being Haye-Klitschko. Should be one hell of a fight with hopefully the winner fighting Amir Khan and unifying the division.

If anyone is interested this is the teaser of the Face Off for the fight:

Anyone interested in Timothy Bradley Vs Devon Alexander? Cannot wait for this fight. For me this is the third biggest fight that could be made in boxing, with the first being Mayweather-Pacquiao and second being Haye-Klitschko. Should be one hell of a fight with hopefully the winner fighting Amir Khan and unifying the division.

If anyone is interested this is the teaser of the Face Off for the fight:

Yeah, it's a big one. I was more up for it before Alexander "lost" to Kotelnik but it's still a good fight. I'm struggling to see anything other than a Bradley decision at the moment. Timmy's a fighter I like a lot, and beats Khan if that fight comes off. Hopefully it does.

a clip from the New York presser from last month. Some good lines in there from Kevin Cunningham but Alexander really isn't a good talker.

Kevin Cunningham talks to much shit. All good fighters have a bad fight but still pull it off. I think its an even fight at the moment but I do give the edge to Timothy Bradley though but either one could win. I think Amir Khan would beat either. He is the quicker, more power, and has Roach. I am pumped for this fight though.

I'd have Khan beating Alexander. Alexander struggled massively with the high guard and simple 1-2's of Kotelnik. Khan would use a similar strategy that he did against Malignaggi and take Alexander to a clear decision, IMO. I'm not convinced Khan has more power than Alexander. Khan still doesn't have a single KO on his record, don't be distracted by his stoppages of super-featherweights and the likes of Salita.

Before the Maidana fight I fancied Khan against Bradley but after seeing how easily a fairly limited fighter in Maidana got inside of Khan, I'm picking Bradley. Like you say though, having Roach in your corner is a huge asset.

Anyway, Darren Barker... Respect. Shame about the woeful sentencing.

Hennessy Sports are pleased to announce that earlier today in Rome they outbid both Frank Warren and Double "A" Promotions (Andy Ayling) to stage the highly anticipated all British European Title Super Fight between Darren Barker and Matthew Macklin.

Promoter Mick Hennessy said "I’m delighted to announce that Hennessy Sports have won the rights to stage this well talked about mega fight and as per EBU rules we will be announcing the date and venue for this contest within the next 2 weeks."

Not too bothered about Macklin, he was really disappointing in his last fight.

I still think Khan would have too much for Bradley. I think the speed and timing will be key. No one is getting knocked out if they fight, it will be a points decision. Will be interesting but I do think Khan would out box him.

• 2 weeks later...

I see Matthew Hatton has signed up to fight Saul Alvarez. I can see Hatton getting KO'ed in that one. Okay, there is a lot of hype about Saul right now, but he really could be top five P4P material before much longer, he seems to have everything in his locker.

Also, did anybody listen to Bunce this week? That Prize Fighter: The Journeymen thing that some people are trying to get organised, what do you think of it? I think as a one off special it could be great fun. I really hope it happens.

I see Matthew Hatton has signed up to fight Saul Alvarez. I can see Hatton getting KO'ed in that one. Okay, there is a lot of hype about Saul right now, but he really could be top five P4P material before much longer, he seems to have everything in his locker.

Also, did anybody listen to Bunce this week? That Prize Fighter: The Journeymen thing that some people are trying to get organised, what do you think of it? I think as a one off special it could be great fun. I really hope it happens.

I'm struggling to see anything other than Hatton being stopped in that one. Top five P4P though? I can't see it myself. Don't get me wrong, I like Alvarez, I just don't think he will get to that level. Although if someone with as many flaws as Paul Williams can get there... why not?

I love the idea of the Journeymen Prizefighter. It would be great for the forgotten men of Boxing to get the recognition and a bit more £ that they deserve.

Right, McDonnell time... Followed by McIntosh over in France. Hopefully we should have 1 more European champion by the end of the night.

Â