The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Is that due to lack of interest, or that Sky think it's too close to the Haye PPV?

Neither. It's due to the undercard falling apart really. We were originally meant to have:

Matt Macklin vs Ghevor (WBA Middleweight eliminator)

Anthony Crolla vs Gavin Rees (British Lightweight title)

Scott Quigg vs Someone (WBA Super-Bronze Intercontintental Bantam thingy)

then all 3 of those were pulled for various reasons. One being that Macklin is expected to get a shot at Felix Sturm in the summer for the proper WBA title. They were then replaced with:

Tyson Fury vs Hasim Rahman

Gary Buckland vs Someone

Rendall Munroe's comeback

Then Rahman last night pulled out of the Fury fight so Sky decided it wasn't worthy of PPV. Hopefully a sign of a new level of quality control on Sky. Khan won't be too happy though, it looks like Hatton's handling of the undercard has cost him about £1mil.

Boy is the card on Saturday juicy to say the least.

Indeed. Guerrero-Katsidis is the one that I'm particularly looking forward to.

Self inflicted though. It was his third fight in a month. I'm not sure how much he needs the money, but this loss has put his career back by a mile.

Amir Khan's fight against Paul McCloskey on April 16 is now expected to be on normal Sky Sports. :thumb:

It seems that Khan's team has rejected Sky's offer of the fight being on Sky Sports 3 and are now looking for a PPV show on PrimeTime.

This is why you don't put a taxi driver in control of your career. Complete amateurs.

I like to put it down to Ishida being the Japanese reincarnation of Tommy Hearns, although it's a lot more likely he was struggling with the weight and doesn't have the sturdiest beard on him. I can't say I've ever rated him highly myself anyway. I was more into the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDG0Ez_zPys...

Yep, they **** this one up good and proper. The thing is, I think McCloskey could have been sold as a decent opponent. Unbeaten, European Champion, top 10 contender, Battle of Britain (etc) but Khan spent so long **** about confirming him as an opponent that they didnt really have time. The undercard falls to bits and I guess Sky do what anybody else would have done. I cant see many people dropping almost £20 on this show and of course it damages Khan's relationship with Sky for future bouts. He needs to get a better promoter.

Yep, they **** this one up good and proper. The thing is, I think McCloskey could have been sold as a decent opponent. Unbeaten, European Champion, top 10 contender, Battle of Britain (etc) but Khan spent so long **** about confirming him as an opponent that they didnt really have time. The undercard falls to bits and I guess Sky do what anybody else would have done. I cant see many people dropping almost £20 on this show and of course it damages Khan's relationship with Sky for future bouts. He needs to get a better promoter.

His team of cabbies won't have much to do in the near future as I can't see him coming back the UK for a while yet. He needs to get rid of them and get with the Hearns or Hayemaker, well even crawling back to Warren would be better than his current team.

I must have watched a different fight to Khan's camp, they seemed to think he had a decent fight. I thought he looked very ordinary and didn't really show much.

Khan moving up to 147 will be hilarious, he'll get destroyed in that division.

I have a bet, made whilst quite drunk, with a mate about Amir Khan. My mate reckons at some point in his career, Khan will be P4P best in the world. I most certainly don't. Even on a purely odds level, chances are he won't even if he wasn't an, imo, pretty flawed fighter. As it is, I doubt he will ever make the top of the Ring mags' list.

Money in the bank. Sadly it might take a while to get...

I have a bet, made whilst quite drunk, with a mate about Amir Khan. My mate reckons at some point in his career, Khan will be P4P best in the world. I most certainly don't. Even on a purely odds level, chances are he won't even if he wasn't an, imo, pretty flawed fighter. As it is, I doubt he will ever make the top of the Ring mags' list.

Money in the bank. Sadly it might take a while to get...

A fighter with as many flaws as Amir, who relies on natural advantages as much as he does, will never top the P4P list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jeff Lacy signs to fight Nick Diaz in Boxing match in late 2011.

Will this be the reverse Couture - Toney scenario? I'm not up to speed on boxers but if Lacey is any good I can't see anything but a boxer win. Diaz has effective boxing for MMA and a solid chinn, but thats it.

From the official press release:

A few moments ago, former IBF super-middleweight champion & devastating knockout artist, Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy, officially signed on the dotted line to square off against Diaz in the Fall of 2011.

Lacy possesses the type of dangerous punching power in both hands that can end the double digit win streak of the rugged Northern California champion.

Don Chargin states, "This is a very dangerous fight for both men. Not only is this fight dangerous but stylistically it is very intriguing. I expected more resistance from fight fans and media in regards to this match-up but its amazing as to the hundreds of calls and e-mails I've received from fans on both sides wanting to see this match-up take place. I've received more than a few inquiries from some other very high-profile boxers that want to step up and fight Nick. Its been a real whirlwind."

Chargin continues, "I've been around boxing for quite some time and I've seen a lot of great, tough fighters in my six decades within the sport. I believe that if Nick had been one of those kids who had picked up boxing from a youth, he'd undoubtedly be a world-champion today. Sometime within the next 2 weeks I'll be personally making the trek to Cesar Gracies gym to setup a private, closed door sparring session between Nick and a few nameless top-level contenders I have in mind."

The fans love me... 8)

Lacy used to be considered as a top fighter before he fought Calzaghe. Joe then took him to school and the corpse of Roy Jones did much the same as well. Looking at his Boxrec it seems he lost a wide decision to a journeyman last time out so this bloke might stand a chance...

any one awake and watching the fight tonight? or this morning even

mosely looked massive at the weigh in still cant see him winning though i recon he will lose it on points, the only way he will win is if he catches paquio with a mahoosive bomb

Â