The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I love the idea of the Journeymen Prizefighter. It would be great for the forgotten men of Boxing to get the recognition and a bit more £ that they deserve.

I tell you the crazy thing about that, specifically what was said on the Bunce Show, is that they said Kristian Laight was in the running for a spot which was a real double take moment for me. I grew up with Kris, and it's weird to hear people talking about him on the radio. He is a really nice lad, I'd love it to happen just for him.

Big fight in the 140 division tomorrow night... Timothy Bradley vs Devon Alexander. Both undefeated, black, American fighters. Should be bigger than it is really... but a massive fight nonetheless. Don't forget we've got the Light Heavyweight prizefighter on Sky also.

Meanwhile Khan is having a lot of problems. His manager Asif Vali has had a major falling out with Alex Ariza (Khan's conditioner) and this has led to them splitting. Ariza is the man myself and Khan give a lot of credit to for Khan's win over Maidana. It's becoming clearer, and clearer that this clown has no place in Boxing. He's also failed to agree a deal for Khan's next opponent leaving him without an opponent for his upcoming fight at the MEN in April.

Didnt see the fight, I've only read the reports and based on those I wont bother getting hold of a copy of the fight.

I assume we have a very realistic chance of Khan - Bradley this year then?

It was a pretty ugly fight. The clash of heads was typical Bradley head movement really, this isn't the first time he has cut his opponents using it. Following that Alexander had a cut on the eyebrow and decided he wanted no more. Telling the doctor "it's burning" and then looking absolutely fine after it was called off.

Very realistic chance I'd say. I can't see HBO wanting a rematch of that so unless Bradley gets a golden ticket to fight Pacquaio or Mayweather, or Khan loses to whatever lightweight he will be fighting next ;) we should get it. I'd expect it to be in the states if it happens though.

• 3 weeks later...
I see Matthew Hatton has signed up to fight Saul Alvarez.

Approved for Pacquiao's Light Middleweight title despite Hatton never having a fight at the weight. :lol:

Anyway, great night of Boxing tomorrow.

On Sky: John McDermott vs Larry Olubamiwo

On Premier Sports (With Bunce & Kerr):

Daws vs Theopane

O'Donnell vs Watson

Fury vs Nacimento

Witter vs Lupo

And from the states: Montiel vs Donaire.

:D

• 2 weeks later...
David Haye, Wladimir Klitschko, Frankfurt, Germany, July 2nd...

Haye confirms Klitschko fight

Published on Sun Mar 06 16:20:21 GMT 2011

David Haye has confirmed he will fight Wladimir Klitschko later this summer for the WBA, IBF and WBO world heavyweight championships.

Both men have been calling on each other to make the fight happen for some months, and Kiltschko's withdrawal from a scheduled April 30 defence against Dereck Chisora appeared to bring an agreement a step closer.

The fight is expected to take place on June 25 or July 2. Haye told the BBC that the fight was secured late on Saturday night, confirming: "I finally had that contract in front of me and I couldn't wait to put pen to paper."

Haye continued: "It'll be either June 25 or July 2, either date is fine by me.

"It's the fight every boxing fan has to see, and every sports fan.

"He is ranked by many as the best heavyweight in the world - in front of myself, even though I'm the WBA champion."

The fight looks set to take place in Germany, where Ukrainian Klitschko has a huge following.

On the negotiation process, Haye said: "He wanted all these little things - he's a bit precious, is Wladimir, so I gave him all these little things to make him feel like he'd got a mental edge.

"The terms were right, it's a fair deal - it's a 50-50 split, that's what they wanted and that's what I wanted.

"I'll just make sure the referee can count to 10, then I'm the new unified heavyweight champion of the world. Here it is - end of June, beginning of July - let's get ready to rumble.

Link

He also said this on his twitter.

Its on.... officially!!! June 25 or July 2- Haye (ME) The WBA Champ Vs Klitschko The IBF & WBO Champ battle it out for World No.1 Spot.

Much looking forward to this and to me it shows it was Vlad holding it up as he wanted the fight in Germany (means any points will be doubled towards Vlad) as I believe Haye wanted England, so maybe it was not Haye holding up all the time as Vlads corner wanted people to think.

I am tempted to go btw.

Much looking forward to this and to me it shows it was Vlad holding it up as he wanted the fight in Germany (means any points will be doubled towards Vlad) as I believe Haye wanted England, so maybe it was not Haye holding up all the time as Vlads corner wanted people to think.

I am tempted to go btw.

Wasn't the original fight that haye backed out of due to his back troubles and the proposed fight they couldn't agree contracts on both due to be held in Germany, rather nullifying the above argument. The only winner in the delay is haye who has gained more experience whilst the klitschko's have got closer to retirement.

During the recent rounds of negotiations the only venues seriously suggested have been in Germany as far as I know. I can't see it going to the scorecards so it shouldn't have too much effect. If it was to go to the scorecards I can't imagine that Haye would be coming out on top regardless of the location.

I am tempted to go btw.

Wasn't the original fight that haye backed out of due to his back troubles and the proposed fight they couldn't agree contracts on both due to be held in Germany, rather nullifying the above argument. The only winner in the delay is haye who has gained more experience whilst the klitschko's have got closer to retirement.

Haye's back troubles were more to do with Setanta going bust than his back actually hurting as far as I am aware.

I'm glad the fight is on though. Wlad is a lot bigger than Haye, but Haye is much faster and I would argue is the bigger puncher. Both fighters have suspect chins (Wlad has been knocked out three times, Haye once) so I cant see it going the distance. Heavyweight boxing needs this fight though, the only problem I can see is that even if Haye wins he will retire following the bout and the division is still left in a sorry state.

Londoner Haye, the WBA heavyweight champion, finally agreed a deal to fight IBF/WBO king Wladimir over the weekend.

However, the Klitschkos' manager Bernd Boente has revealed that the contract signed does not specify which of the Ukrainian siblings he will meet.

Should Wladimir fail to recover from an abdominal injury before the end of June, Haye could instead fight his brother Vitali, the WBC champion.

Boente - who also confirmed they are exploring possible venues outside Germany for the fight on June 25 or July 2 - said: "It could also be Vitali.

"In the talks, David was not rejecting Vitali any more, he was very flexible. That was never negotiated.

"Knock on wood it's not the case, but should anything happen injury-wise (to Wladimir), as long as it is not three days before the fight or whatever, then Vitali could be the opponent. But first of all Vitali has to win his fight against Odlanier Solis on March 19 which will be a pretty tough fight."

• 5 weeks later...
Â