The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Fury would out box the overrated Joshua as far as I'm concerned and he has a great chance against Wladimir. I certainly think he can get KO'd if he does something stupid but if he uses his size and reach advantage and is able to effectively get on Wlad's inside, then I think Wlad will be in for a long night. I see this as a toss up fight. 

• Like 1

Fury would out box the overrated Joshua as far as I'm concerned and he has a great chance against Wladimir. I certainly think he can get KO'd if he does something stupid but if he uses his size and reach advantage and is able to effectively get on Wlad's inside, then I think Wlad will be in for a long night. I see this as a toss up fight. 

Reading through this thread you seem to know your stuff Dr. I look forward to the fight, though have to admit ive never rated Fury. I would have thought Wladimir could take him apart.

As for Joshua, im not sure he is overated. yes he hasn't fought any one of high quality yet. But the guys he has fought he has knocked out everyone, an never gone past, I think the 5th was it? I am waiting for the first quality fighter to really test him an I was hoping it could be Fury.

Reading through this thread you seem to know your stuff Dr. I look forward to the fight, though have to admit ive never rated Fury. I would have thought Wladimir could take him apart.

As for Joshua, im not sure he is overated. yes he hasn't fought any one of high quality yet. But the guys he has fought he has knocked out everyone, an never gone past, I think the 5th was it? I am waiting for the first quality fighter to really test him an I was hoping it could be Fury.

I'm half expecting to be left embarrassed by my praise for Fury. As much as I think he has the skillset to beat Wlad (I'll go into way more detail about this closer to the fight), it's almost certainly the case that he can lose quite emphatically. Two reasons for this:

(1) he's a loose cannon and liable to do something stupid if he gets a rush of blood to the head. He likes to switch southpaw (although this could be a big asset against Wlad) and drop his hands if he gets confident, so could be his undoing.

(2) Chin.He has been dropped by absolute non-punchers at the weight in the past, like Steve Cunningham (a blown up Cruiserweight who has no power even at that weight) and some Canadian bloke called Pajkic (or something like that). Wlad is definitely the hardest puncher pound for pound in the sport and can deliver extremely powerful straight rights and left hooks. Fury certainly doesn't have the sort of chin of a Mariusz Wach so I don't think it would take a lot for Wlad to get him out of there, assuming he can hand enough clean shots. 

No chance Whyte will beat Joshua if he boxes like that

John Wayne Hibbert and Dave Ryan what a robbery the way him and his team celebrated like they he just became world champion felt so cheap

As for Joshua i don't know what to think i don't believe the hype he's smashed whatever's been put in front of him to date and that's all he can do but is it a case of him being that good or is it the standard of the bums he's faced so far after the whyte fight i want to see him thrown in the ring with someone good. Someone in the top 20 in the rankings at least

Edited by AshVilla

A relevant Swede. Nice one Mr Jack (Not seen the fight yet)

It was a close fight but I felt Jack did just enough. Definitely an opportunity lost for Groves as Jack is one of the weaker champions at the weight. Groves actually started the first round very well but the knock down really hurt him, as it was a kind of equilibrium shot which took his legs away from him. 

Both boxers took turns to take the lead in the fight, Groves has an excellent jab and used it well, he was landing some nice right hands but he lacked the variety in his punching. He didn't invest to the body anywhere near enough, he didn't throw enough left hooks and failed to lead with the right hand often enough. He was quite easy to read, most of his offence is built from his jab, so you can expect a right hand following the jab with little else in the way of differentiation. Grove's biggest success was when he swept the right hand round the guard of Jack rather than throwing it straight. But throwing more lead rights would have off set Jack's rhythm more. 

Jack is well school and was nice and tight, good jab, crisp counters and used his advantages in conditioning and physical strength down the stretch. I had Jack winning, with the knock down in round one making a big difference (Jack by two points was fair score).

Mayweather again stunk out the joint against a shot Berto. He did his typical pot shot and run, can't stand him, I really hope this turns out to be his last fight but I seriously doubt it will. 

My dad has seen Black Sabbath's "last ever" gig on four or five separate occasions. It's a ticket selling ploy from Floyd, he gets a free pass to fight a weak opponent because enough people will believe that it's his farewell performance. 

There is no way a man with an ego as big as Floyd Mayweather is going to retire at 49-0. Fifty is too round a number to retire at 49-0. 

After watching the Joshua fight, as much as I rate him, he really needs a challege now. Whyte is gonna be no challege for him even though he gave him a good run in amateur, Joshua is now a diiferent fighter, he looked far from fit in that match too. Cornish never looked like he was gonna put up much a of a fight, he was far from conditioned unlike Joshua, cheers again Hearn for wasting fans time.

Im really after a Fury vs Joshua match. Even if Fury knocks down Klitscho, I would like the fight to happen sooner rather than later. But im sure Eddie Hearn wants waste our time, an line his pockets a little more until then.

He does need to step up, some people were pointing to Cornish's unbeaten record but Gary Cornish isn't even a full time boxer, he has a day job as well as prize fighting and Joshua is clearly a level above that.   I'd quite happily see him take a couple of names who are on the way down (Chisora, Price) to raise his profile but he can't keep beating up domestic level opposition forever. 

• Like 1

Yeah Joshua needs to step up, was always going to beat Cornish and he beats Whyte too, regardless of the result from amateur days. I'd like to see him fight Price and then Chisora as both can punch, if he gets past those then just let him loose on whoever wants to fight him imo! Maybe someone like Arreola or Charr?

• 2 weeks later...

Not the first time Klitschko has pulled out of a fight with an injury, he did it with Chisora and Pulev, now Fury. So two explanations, one is age, his body is breaking down a bit and has been sustaining more training camp injuries in the past 5 years than ever before, or two, he has done it on purpose. 

Wladimir is a highly structured fighter in the ring, he likes to feel that he has all the angles covered beforehand and likes to meticulously prepare. He doesn't like dealing with the unknown and is not a boxer who is necessarily a great adjuster during a fight, he likes to be extremely prepared and have clear strategies going into the fight. It's highly possible, in my mind, that he still hasn't figured Fury out in his own mind, and does not feel ready to step in the ring with him, hence he feels that he needs more time to prepare. 

I've said before on here and I'll say it again, for someone like Wladimir Klitschko, Fury is a stylistic nightmare, because Fury is just too unpredictable, he has the ability to choose whether to fight effectively on the inside or outside - very few heavyweights can actually fight on the inside anymore and Wladimir has shown that he simply can't fight in the pocket. Fury also has superior height and reach, and I do not that Wlad has ever fought someone as tall and long as Fury before. Finally, the improvisational quality of Fury is something that will likely offset Wlad's tactics throughout the fight. Fury can adjust on the fly and even fight effectively as a southpaw, so I can imagine Wladimir having a very hard time unless he establishes his jab early and his power bails him out.

• Like 2

Not the first time Klitschko has pulled out of a fight with an injury, he did it with Chisora and Pulev, now Fury. So two explanations, one is age, his body is breaking down a bit and has been sustaining more training camp injuries in the past 5 years than ever before, or two, he has done it on purpose. 

Wladimir is a highly structured fighter in the ring, he likes to feel that he has all the angles covered beforehand and likes to meticulously prepare. He doesn't like dealing with the unknown and is not a boxer who is necessarily a great adjuster during a fight, he likes to be extremely prepared and have clear strategies going into the fight. It's highly possible, in my mind, that he still hasn't figured Fury out in his own mind, and does not feel ready to step in the ring with him, hence he feels that he needs more time to prepare. 

I've said before on here and I'll say it again, for someone like Wladimir Klitschko, Fury is a stylistic nightmare, because Fury is just too unpredictable, he has the ability to choose whether to fight effectively on the inside or outside - very few heavyweights can actually fight on the inside anymore and Wladimir has shown that he simply can't fight in the pocket. Fury also has superior height and reach, and I do not that Wlad has ever fought someone as tall and long as Fury before. Finally, the improvisational quality of Fury is something that will likely offset Wlad's tactics throughout the fight. Fury can adjust on the fly and even fight effectively as a southpaw, so I can imagine Wladimir having a very hard time unless he establishes his jab early and his power bails him out.

I think it's a genuine injury. Wlad beats Fury with ease for me any day of the week.

Eubank Jr. signs up with Hearn and gets Adam Booth. Maybe he can get a bit more out of him.

Booth isn't a terrible choice but he's hardly a great one. Eubanks has a few technical deficiencies and Booth isn't, in my mind, a very good 'technical trainer'. However what's undeniable is that he's very good at the 'mental' side of the game. He gets into his fighters heads and gets them disciplined, seems like Eubanks needs that.

• Like 1

Very very impressed by Postol last night. I'd never seen him fight before but he looks legit, dominated Matthysee.

Matthysee looked weak though, the nature of the KO surprised me, it looked like he didn't want it any more. Certainly not the sort of KO defeat you'd expect from a warrior. Is he finished at the very top level. 

Watching a replay of Broner as I type. He's clearly better at 140 than 147 but still looks like a limited fighter if you ask me. Excellent single shot power but can't let those combos go. Not sure why, poor hand speed? Poor footwork? Unwilling to engage?

**edit**

Broner wins by stoppage with 30 seconds to go in the twelfth, he was well on top and there was little coming back as it seems like Allakhverdiev was just waiting for the clock to tick down so he could lose on points.  He'd been doing that for a couple of rounds if truth be told, I don't think he can have any complaints. As for Broner? He's the next Zab Judah, the guy who always loses to a good world champion. 

Edited by The_Rev

Matthysse appeared to be injured, when he was down he was tapping away at his left eye, as though he had hurt it, maybe a fracture or something? Either way, it was caused by a very good counter lead right hand so it's a legit KO. 

Postol is someone I've watched for a couple of years now, I felt he had a great chance to win this fight because he's very tall and knows how to fight tall. He also disguises his power in the late rounds, he tends to sit down more on his punches later on in fights, and he did that last night. Matthysse just about adjusted to Postol's jab, grab and move tactics by the 6th, in this round and the one after Matthysse had Postol hurt and was boxing well. In the 8th Postol comes out with his feet planted more and is putting more mustard on his shots, he's also throwing in combination more often. This offsets Matthysse and confuses him. 

That said, Matthysse appeared to lose something in the 8th that never recovered. It would be great to give Postol all the credit for this, but Matthysse appeared to me to be visibly heart broken. The two clashed heads in round 7 and it seemed to rock Matthysse quite badly. Maybe that had an effect? He seemed to lose the plot completely. He's 33 now and has had a lot of recent wars, including the Provodnikov and Molina fights. Perhaps they have accumulated a lot on him.

Could be the end of the road for Lucas but I've really enjoyed his career up to now. Postol on the other hand has the style and tactics to give anyone at that weight major problems. He was in line to fight Garcia last year, and Garcia ducked him, I felt at the time Postol would out box the crude Garcia and am even more convinced of that now. A 'big' fight with Terrance Crawford could also be on the horizon for him, and that's another fight I believe he can win. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

• 2 weeks later...

Lee Selby looked very poor against an over the hill Montiel last night. Montiel is best know for getting brutally knocked out by Donaire a few years ago, but was a very good fighter in his own right in his day. But he's past his mid 30s now, so I'm surprised at the aggression and precision of his attacks, he gave Selby a very, very hard time. Whilst I don't dispute the decision, a couple of the cards were way too wide. What I do dispute is Selby's actual quality and capacity to go particularly far at world level. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â