The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Mayweather's top 5 boxers of all time.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2544291-floyd-mayweather-lists-his-top-5-boxers-of-all-time-puts-muhammad-ali-at-no-5

By now, this should not be a shock to anyone: Floyd Mayweather still believes that he's the greatest boxer of all time, placing himself above Muhammad Ali.

Mayweather, who will fight Andre Berto in September to wrap up his historic career, recently appeared on ESPN Deportes. There, he was asked to rank his top-five boxers of all time.

This is how his list played out:

Floyd Mayweather

Roberto Duran

Pernell Whitaker

Julio Cesar Chavez

Muhammad Ali

The entire list can obviously be debated, but what is sure to draw the ire of boxing fans is Ali's placement on that list.

"He was only at one weight-class," Mayweather said of Ali. "This is me just being honest. It's so hard (picking a top-five) ... What Ali did is he stood for a cause."

This isn't the first time Mayweather has slighted Ali. Back in April, prior to the Fight of the Century, Mayweather told Stephen A. Smith that "no one can ever brainwash me to make me believe that Sugar Ray Robinson and Muhammad Ali was better than me."

But what Mayweather didn't say at the time is that he'd rank Ali fifth on the list of all-time greats.

The video in that link is worth a watch.

Edited by av1

Whyte smashed Joshua in the amateurs, Whyte vs Joshua is a great fight, I think Whyte has his number. The only other thing to have Joshua's number is a drugs test [emoji14]h34r:

Can you elaborate on this?

Not exactly, as this is technically a 'public' forum. However, just anecdotally ( ;)) I'd say that he appears to be showing the signs of being a user of something similar to HGH, either that or he's simply the sort of genetic freak that has never, ever, been seen before in boxing, in terms of being his size yet being totally ripped to the bone.
I doubt hes on HGH he has no HGH gut.

Marco Huck got knocked the **** out last night in a tremendous fight. Glowacki picked himself up from a heavy 6th round knock down to brutally dispatch of Huck in the 11th. I read that Glowacki only earned $60k for this fight, almost 1/6th of Huck's purse. One of the fights of the year for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mayweather's top 5 boxers of all time.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2544291-floyd-mayweather-lists-his-top-5-boxers-of-all-time-puts-muhammad-ali-at-no-5

By now, this should not be a shock to anyone: Floyd Mayweather still believes that he's the greatest boxer of all time, placing himself above Muhammad Ali.

Mayweather, who will fight Andre Berto in September to wrap up his historic career, recently appeared on ESPN Deportes. There, he was asked to rank his top-five boxers of all time.

This is how his list played out:

Floyd Mayweather

Roberto Duran

Pernell Whitaker

Julio Cesar Chavez

Muhammad Ali

The entire list can obviously be debated, but what is sure to draw the ire of boxing fans is Ali's placement on that list.

"He was only at one weight-class," Mayweather said of Ali. "This is me just being honest. It's so hard (picking a top-five) ... What Ali did is he stood for a cause."

This isn't the first time Mayweather has slighted Ali. Back in April, prior to the Fight of the Century, Mayweather told Stephen A. Smith that "no one can ever brainwash me to make me believe that Sugar Ray Robinson and Muhammad Ali was better than me."

But what Mayweather didn't say at the time is that he'd rank Ali fifth on the list of all-time greats.

The video in that link is worth a watch.

Top 5's are all subjective though everyone has a different opinion, but yeah of course Floyd is going to put himself top!! He doesn't make my top 5 though :-)

Santa Cruz v Mares soon, that should be a good fight. I think Leo wins. Still can't call Cotto v Canelo, have a feeling Canelo takes it, but for me winner has to fight GGG assuming he beats Lemeiux, which he should.

I really hate Santa Cruz, he has been massively over protected. I'd love Mares to win but have my doubts. Mares is the naturally smaller man and frankly hasn't impressed me since his first round stoppage against Gonzalez. 

At his best, Mares is the much better and well rounded boxer. Santa Cruz has one speed and that's 'go', it's pressure and volume. Mares is far more crafty and savvy. If the Mares of 2012 turns up he wins this fight IMO. But I guess my line of thinking is that Leo is much more younger and fresher, whilst Mares is potentially over the hill having fought the much better level of opposition and having being in a number of wars.

However, if there's a fight to bring the best out of Mares it's this. It's a world title shot in both guys' hometown, the atmosphere will be electric. So I'm gonna let my heart override my head and pick Mares to win. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Anybody watching the josh warrington undercard

Such a bizarre fight at the minute Murray is fighting some bloke and whenever murray goes in close and throws a punch he keeps going down on his knee wtf

Ref has given six knockdowns already and its only the fourth round

Murray continuing his bum of the month club. I understand he's trying to adjust to a new weight but his fights at super middle have done nothing for him. 

Adjusting to the move up from middleweight... by fighting middleweights. Nice one, Ed. 

Anyway, looking forward to McDonnell-Kameda II tonight. I fancy Jamie to squeeze another close decision. 

Edited by TheWalletInspector
  • Like 1

He should take something for that sniffy nose, although listening to that interview I think he already did. Klitschko will knock him out, though im hoping he don't retire, as I want ot see my boy Joshua destroy him too!

As for Anthony joshua taking something, you obviously haven't seem him train.

Â