The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

It's gotta be the end of him. remember when everyone was screaming for him to fight Tyson Fury, I think Pricey had a lucky escape with that one

It didn't even look like a particularly heavy shot, accurate yes, but I doubt many other heavyweights would collapse like that from it. He's a big overgrown elf with no chin, no punch resistance, no jab and no ability to tie his man up on the inside. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Dunno what to make of Framton tonight. Wide decision but being on the wrong side of a 10-7 round never looks good even if he never looked in trouble. Entertaining American debut though.

dont think we will see frampton at this weight again to be honest. quigg was excellent although i think martinez is past it now. the crolla fight was close but crolla should have got the decision especially with the two points for low blows being deducted. 

I didn't see the Crolla fight but I heard there is going to be an investigation into the decision is that right?

Frampton took a good while to get going last night but he deserved the win, the knockdowns didn't hurt him at all and he wasn't in any danger from them, I had him winning but he did look pretty stiff at times I thought, used his jab well considering he was the smaller fighter though.

Quigg surprised me, the first round Martinez looked as though he was going to have him in a wee bit of trouble so the stoppage was even more impressive because of that.

Not very often I praise Sky but they put a really good card on last night I enjoyed it.

I didn't see the Crolla fight but I heard there is going to be an investigation into the decision is that right?

Frampton took a good while to get going last night but he deserved the win, the knockdowns didn't hurt him at all and he wasn't in any danger from them, I had him winning but he did look pretty stiff at times I thought, used his jab well considering he was the smaller fighter though.

Quigg surprised me, the first round Martinez looked as though he was going to have him in a wee bit of trouble so the stoppage was even more impressive because of that.

Not very often I praise Sky but they put a really good card on last night I enjoyed it.

The crolla fight was a very close fight but with the 2 points away there is no way the Columian won the fight at all IMO

Sounded to me like he was talking around Quigg. Frampton is a right shortarse, he shouldn't struggle to make 122 at 5'4"

But with one quick look at him you can see why, he's big at the weight, broad back, thick arms. 

He's overrated, that's for sure, was very poor last night against a club level fighter. He came out bone dry which is always a bad sign and that, coupled with the weight issues, and perhaps some underlying chin issues, meant he wasn't taking the punch well at all. His defense was absolutely awful as well, hands dropping too low and was getting hit far too much. 

He did what he had to do in the end, but remember, his opponent wasn't even world level. His opponent was a club fighter who predominately fights 8 rounders, so I don't imagine Frampton will be ever maturing into a top class boxer. 

Quigg looked very strong last night but Martinez is very, very shop warn at this stage. 

I wasn't actually that impressed. Quigg in the first round demonstrated what I always see against this sort of opponent, absolutely no inside game when it comes to dealing with an aggressive, shorter guy, I didn't see one single clinch, a move which is absolutely necessary against an opponent like Martinez.

His footwork was also very poor, Quigg's feet are always too far apart, kind of like Broner. This works for generating power, but can also prevents you from setting up your own punches adeptly, I think it's obvious what Quigg wants to do and he has a really obvious tell, a savvy opponent will read Quigg easily and make him look sloppy.

Ultimately, Quigg has very good power at the weight, has excellent stamina, and also goes to the body very well. But he has so many fundamental flaws that I don't even see him beating a top class opponent unless his power can bail him out.

But...did you see Quigg finishing it as early as he did?

I like Quigg but don't think he is great and think he has some flaws which would be exposed against higher opposition but I wasn't expecting him to literally bang him our in the second round.

I didn't see an early finish but anything can happen in this sport, Quigg does have power and Kiko's punch resistance is probably waning after all of the wars he's been in.

It's an impressive win but we've yet to see him box a primed, world level opponent. Time for him to step up.

sprry again Dr P for calling you out

Where do Quigg amd Frampton go from here, you seem to have written (is that evn a word) them both off, you may not like either of them but what were your predictions before the fight?

should they fight each other or not? who do you tip to win?

sprry again Dr P for calling you out

Where do Quigg amd Frampton go from here, you seem to have written (is that evn a word) them both off, you may not like either of them but what were your predictions before the fight?

should they fight each other or not? who do you tip to win?

lol no worries. I didn't make any prediction on here obviously but privately expected Frampton to win much more comprehensively and most likely to stop Gonzalez later on in the fight. Quigg I expected to win and again with a late stoppage as I saw Kiko as being past his best and not able to take the punch as well as he used to. 

I was surprised by the outcome of both fights, especially the Frampton one, as he was fighting a club fighter with no where near as much experience. 

Where do they both go from here? Well I expect both to go on and fight the better guys in their division and maybe fight each other. The one I'd be more concerned about is Frampton, as he is big at the weight and will be most likely the one to move up to 126lbs sooner rather than later. I heard he struggled to make weight for last nights fight so I'd expect his team to be quite keen to move up. Quigg is also big for the weight but seems to have less trouble making the weight.

The talk is that Frampton will fight Leo Santa Cruz next (assuming he beats Mares at a higher weight class) and Quigg will fight Donaire. Donaire is also past his best by some margin but still has lots of power and skill, so that would be a real test, I can't help but think Quigg's footwork will result in him getting at least hurt in that fight. 

I doubt either of them will ever face off with Rigondeux. 

They will fight each other, but I have a feeling they will both move up in weight and meet there after their next fights. I've always favoured Frampton over Quigg as I see Frampton as the much more accomplished and skilled boxer. But it will be a bit of a war at times as Quigg likes to load up and come forward when he can and Frampton doesn't have good defense at all, he leaves his lead hand far too low and doesn't really move his head, so he will get hit a lot. 

There's a sense that Frampton is vulnerable after last night and I don't really disagree with that. He was getting dropped by a club fighter and visibly hurt in one or two of the rounds after the first round. The question is how much that was down to him struggling to make weight and coming out to the fight cold (he looked bone dry to me, which is never good), or whether he actually just doesn't have the best chin in the world.

So I feel Quigg has the power to hurt Frampton, and I'd imagine Frampton would be getting hurt if they do fight, but ultimately I think Frampton's much superior skills will get him through to a competitive points decision.

I may be down on both of them, but they are both world class boxers in their own right, I'm not saying they are bums or anything, just that they aren't great by any stretch of the imagination and never will be. They are completing in a division that lacks quality outside of one or two (like Rigondeux). Better talent exist one division up at featherweight so that will give them more of a test.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â