The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Catchweights are a joke but makes me laugh when people complain for just 1 side, Porter obviously agreed to the weight.

Ive got Broner to win, actually think he is a good boxer under all that cockyness.

Suprised Hearn as thrown smith in with ward but its obviously a pay day for him.

Why would anyone be surprised? He's probably getting decent money and is getting a crack at one of the best in the entire sport.

Hearn has nothing to protect in Smith, he lost his last two fights and got sparked by both Groves and DeGale. 

Suprised Hearn as thrown smith in with ward but its obviously a pay day for him.

Why would anyone be surprised? He's probably getting decent money and is getting a crack at one of the best in the entire sport.

Hearn has nothing to protect in Smith, he lost his last two fights and got sparked by both Groves and DeGale.

Because hearn matches his fighters against bums usually

Just caught the Porter - Broner fight, easy night's work for Porter in my opinion.  I was going to say Broner simply doesn't carry the power at this weight to trouble class opposition with the single punches he likes to throw but the knockdown in the 12th suggests it's in there somewhere.  Broner cannot produce it reliably though, he needs to let those combos go but it seems like he is too scared of being hit to allow himself to do that.  He probably needs to drop back down to 135.   Porter on the other hand has plenty of options, Thruman seems to be the one everybody wants but the top ten is stacked at welterweight at the moment and Porter could fight any of them.

I gave Broner two rounds, he sucks, his output is far too low, his feet are far too flat and Porter not only roughed him up and outworked him but also successfully outboxed Broner from the outside. 

Broner is ultimately what you'd call a B level fighter, his talent is his hand speed, I don't think he's that powerful, the knockdown was a very fast, Roy Jones style left hook which Porter didn't really see coming, Porter didn't see the punch and was all squared up meaning his balance wasn't there. Broner doesn't throw in combination, he pot shots, his volume is too low and his footwork sucks. He can't make 135lbs anymore, he's too big, he should focus on 140lbs and be a contender at that weight. 

Ward vs Smith was what everyone expected, Smith was a punching bag and didn't deserve to share the ring with Ward.

Lemieux vs N'Dam was without a doubt the fight of the night and a strong contender for fight of the year so far, great action and N'Dam, wow, what a heart this guy has. I'd like to see Lemieux vs GGG, GGG will stop him but it will be fireworks. 

Broner flatters to deceive, against lower opponents he can look brilliant but I have thought for a good while that his footwork is extremely poor, he's far too flat footed.

I **** hate him as well, how someone can come across as being that arrogant after getting beat in that fashion is pretty amazing though

• Like 1

Broner flatters to deceive, against lower opponents he can look brilliant but I have thought for a good while that his footwork is extremely poor, he's far too flat footed.

I **** hate him as well, how someone can come across as being that arrogant after getting beat in that fashion is pretty amazing though

Broner never really has a plan going into a fight, he doesn't strategise anything, he is never, unlike the elite fighters, thinking anymore than a step at a time, rather than 2-3 steps ahead of his opponent. He thinks his hand speed and technique will take care of things. 

You can't just stand there and pot shot when your opponent is out working and out landing you, you need more intelligence and ring IQ than that. Against the better quality opposition that's not enough. Alarm bells were really ringing in the Paulie fight, if Paulie had more pop he would have won that.

I'm pretty sure I had that fight as a draw, I remember tipping Paulie to give him a tough time and my mate laughing his bollocks off at me.

I must admit I thought Smith's gameplan against Ward was near genius, who'd a thunk that continuously battering Wards fists with his head and face could have been so effective, I really don't know why they stopped it.

The only way that fight was ever going to be competative would have been if Ward was suffering from an amazing amount of ring rust.

Edited by leemond2008

I'm just watching the Bellew fight, I don't think its live, I think they fought yesterday, am I the only one who feels that Bellew could be the greatest boxer in the **** world and I still wouldn't be interested in him? he just doesn't look like a boxer and I have absolutely zero interest in him or his career

• 2 weeks later...

It's a compelling fight, Fury has the reach, jab and general awkwardness to give Wladimir big time problems. Fury is terrific on the inside and Wladimir will not be able to tie him up like he does the smaller guys who try to get inside on him.

Fury does have a dodgy chin but I actually think that if anyone out there right now is able to upset the long reining champion then it's Tyson Fury, he's the one with the most compelling skill set. He's taller, knows how to use his height, has a significant reach advantage and fights both inside and out very well. 

Fury of course can go from the sublime to the absolutely ridiculous, as much as I think he has the tools to win, I also wouldn't be hugely surprised if he's blasted out of there as a result of doing something stupid or having a generally shit game plan. For all of these reasons I absolutely can't wait for this fight, it's probably the best fight that can be made in the division right now.  

• Like 2

It's the best fight that can be made at HW at the moment. Fury does have a chance, as he has good boxing skills and can use his jab. However like Dr P says he can also do stupid things and Cunningham knocked him down, so I just feel if Wlad gets a chance he will likely stop him. I think Wlad wins by stoppage in the later rounds.

When are we going to get Frampton v Quigg, it's been talked about forever, lets just get it signed!!

Thurman not impressive last night. The jury very much out on him in terms of his viability as a top welterweight (and beyond - given many were tipping him to be a future pound for pound star). 

A few things stick out to me:

(1) Vulnerability. I really don't think Thurman absorbs punishment too well. I'm not saying he has a class chin but it seems that almost every other fight he's getting hurt or buzzed up, and he doesn't have much of a poker face, you can really tell when he's hurt. Soto Karass had him badly hurt with a head shot and Collazo last night had him seriously hurt with a body shot. 

(2) Defence/ tactics. Thurman is a little stiff and can be caught square, not great defence at all. However this is lead to his team making him more of a runner over recent fights. Thurman to his credit, is good at boxing off the back foot, but he does this too much in my opinion, and also increasingly negates this in favour of flat out running (similar to say, Floyd Mayweather) -- where Thurman will move around the ring without even looking to engage, rather just to neutralise and spoil his opponent. This was clear as early as the Bundu fight and he carried it on last night, benefiting from having a massive ring. 

(3) I don't think his power is all as it seems. Thurman is at his most powerful when he is winging his punches, his straight, pot shots are snappy but not hugely powerful. Point being he needs lots of leverage on his punches for them to have maximum power. Compare this to someone like Kell Brook in the same division, he doesn't need anywhere near as much leverage to hurt you. He's more accurate and heavy handed than Thurman and hurts you with the shorter punches. 

Thurman definitely has above average power, but he's not the Julian Jackson type puncher that many have made him out to be. As he steps up the level of competition you will see his KO ratio fall. 

Now yes, I'm emphasising his weakness without talking about what he does good, and Thurman does do a lot of good things, but I do have serious reservations amount him ever becoming a 'great' fighter.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â