The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Cleverley got destroyed again

Surely that's him done now as a boxer he's had plenty of chances

He's just not very good and never had been. Don't get me wrong, when he gets into a rhythm he has a decent jab and can dig a nice left hook to the body, also he has very good volume which troubled Fonfara throughout. 

But he has never had particularly good defence, he's easy to find, and he has pretty much zero power, so can't keep world class boxers 'honest'. On top of that he's a monumental belllend. 

Fonfara is very basic but is extremely tough and does have good power, he also tends to come alive later on in fights and what we saw last night was Cleverly getting broken down with body and head shots, with the Pole pulling clear in the final third of the fight and deservedly winning. 

Cleverly probably should have taken the Brahmer fight as that would have been for a world title, although there would have been a higher risk of Cleverly getting knocked out in that one.

Looking forward to Golovkin tonight. How do people think it will go?

I don't think the fight goes past 6 rounds and I expect Golovkin to eventually wipe Lemiuex out pretty brutally. However, it's possible that Golovkin will have one or two rocky moments, Lemiuex is physically very strong and has exceptional power. I'd imagine if GGG does get hurt it will be from a left hook that Lemiuex would throw with Golovkin. Lemiuex's only chance of success is to punch with GGG and not wait on him. 

However, Golovkin is leagues above as a technician. We've seen Golovkin get hit recently (the Monroe fight) but most of that was down to hubris and Golovkin knowing he can take the punch. Tonight, I'd anticipate Golovkin knowing that he won't be able to take too much fire from Lemiuex, so he'll be ultra tight and focused, if he establishes that ram-rod of a jab early, and works solely behind that, we will see Lemiuex getting thoroughly deconstructed. So the Canadian really only has a punchers chance, but I guess with his level of power, that makes it a half decent outside bet.

• Like 1

Just watched the weigh in (since Villa are so shite).

Must admit, Lemiuex didn't look too good to me, he looked very weak. Literally had to take his underwear off to make the weight, face looked pretty sunken, expression looked quite nervous, and he appeared to be blinking quite heavily. 

Looks to me that things didn't go well in training camp, must have got his nutrition wrong, perhaps nerves have played with his weight. 

The IBF has a ten pound rehydration clause (max of 170) so IF Lemieux has struggled then that 10lbs won't be enough. Golovkin looked great to me. I haven't seen Lemieux weigh in before, so this could be normal for him, but he really didn't look good to me, I might be inclined to revise down my 6 round prediction. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Golovkin is elite, no doubt about that, last night went further than I thought it would, mainly because Lemiuex is more durable than I thought, but he showed a masterclass in boxing, he barely got hit and was the aggressor throughout, this is what boxing is about, and not running and hugging. That jab is thing of beauty and he really broke Lemiuex down. 

This is was highly clinical and focused Golovkin, previously he has looked willing to mix it up inside and take chances, this time he boxed more at range and controlled with the jab, it was very smart, given Lemieux's excellent power.

That's another belt and he will be fighting, and absolutely destroying, either Cotto or Canelo, once that has been decided, neither of them make it past 5 rounds and neither of them would beat Lemieux, they are food for Golovkin and will be an extremely easy night for him. 

The to-and-fro between Golovkin and Ward is all a bit silly, Ward is known for talking a lot of shit, on the one hand he is apparently offering a fight (50/50 which doesn't really make sense given Ward can't draw flies to shit), on the other hand he's talking about needing 2-3 tune ups before a big fight (the great Paul Smith being one of those). He also fought his last fight above 170lbs so it's not clear his future is even at super middle. Finally, he's apparently (according to Kathy Duva) negotiating with Kovalev. So to say Golovkin is ducking Ward is a bit OTT.

Anyway, Golovkin's plan is clear, clean out 160lbs and then move up, so that means Cotto/Canelo next, unless the winner of that fight ducks GGG.

By the way, the Roman Gonzalez fight on the undercard is well worth a watch, he has, for a long time, being one of the sports very best talents, and he proved it again last night. 

Golovkin is elite, no doubt about that, last night went further than I thought it would, mainly because Lemiuex is more durable than I thought, but he showed a masterclass in boxing, he barely got hit and was the aggressor throughout, this is what boxing is about, and not running and hugging. That jab is thing of beauty and he really broke Lemiuex down. 

This is was highly clinical and focused Golovkin, previously he has looked willing to mix it up inside and take chances, this time he boxed more at range and controlled with the jab, it was very smart, given Lemieux's excellent power.

That's another belt and he will be fighting, and absolutely destroying, either Cotto or Canelo, once that has been decided, neither of them make it past 5 rounds and neither of them would beat Lemieux, they are food for Golovkin and will be an extremely easy night for him. 

The to-and-fro between Golovkin and Ward is all a bit silly, Ward is known for talking a lot of shit, on the one hand he is apparently offering a fight (50/50 which doesn't really make sense given Ward can't draw flies to shit), on the other hand he's talking about needing 2-3 tune ups before a big fight (the great Paul Smith being one of those). He also fought his last fight above 170lbs so it's not clear his future is even at super middle. Finally, he's apparently (according to Kathy Duva) negotiating with Kovalev. So to say Golovkin is ducking Ward is a bit OTT.

Anyway, Golovkin's plan is clear, clean out 160lbs and then move up, so that means Cotto/Canelo next, unless the winner of that fight ducks GGG.

By the way, the Roman Gonzalez fight on the undercard is well worth a watch, he has, for a long time, being one of the sports very best talents, and he proved it again last night. 

I think Ward beats him which is why GGGs team are refusing to even negotiate.

Canelo Vs GGG will be a war, i cant see Cotto taking him on.

Gonzalez put on a good display but the stoppage was too early from the ref imo.

I thought the stoppage was a little too early. I thought the key point in the fight was after about 1 minute 50 seconds of the first round, Golovkin threw a jab that both backed up and hurt Lemieux - it was just a jab, but you could tell Lemieux had felt it, I don't think he had the same confidence or appetite after that.

I think Ward beats him which is why GGGs team are refusing to even negotiate.

Canelo Vs GGG will be a war, i cant see Cotto taking him on.

Gonzalez put on a good display but the stoppage was too early from the ref imo.

I don't disagree about Ward beating him, but it'd still be a great fight. I personally think they are both looking for excuses not to fight each other, it's hardly a one way street, as Ward's bizarre behaviour (as I explained above) demonstrates. 

Canelo vs GGG won't be a war at all, Canelo gets flattened by the mid rounds. He doesn't have the power to keep GGG honest and he has his own durability issues, he'll get systematically broken down and beaten up. 

GGG is a beast, I get why he stayed amateur for so long as the 2004 Olympics must have been a huge deal for him but it's a shame for the sport he's not five years younger.  Enjoy him while he is here I guess. 

Kinda agree with the Ward beats GGG prediction. A good big 'un should beat a good little 'un and Ward has a size advantage and a water tight defence, his style counters GGG very well.  It would be a huge fight though and I'm sure they would both get paid a fortune if it happens. 

• 2 weeks later...

Roy Jones Jr vs Big Enzo in Moscow? Surreal. 

I'd rather watch a fight at a taxi rank in the city centre than this crap. Two washed up fighters one of whom was crap even at his peak.

Roy Jones Jr vs Big Enzo in Moscow? Surreal. 

Yep, bizarre fight, even rumors of some sort of WBA 'title' on the line. What makes this more bizarre is that Roy Jones very recently became a (dual) Russian citizen. Both have glass jaws, so logic suggests that this fight won't go the distance. Roy is like 10 years older than Enzo, so probably more fragile than the porcelain Welshman. 

The last fight I saw involving Roy was against some, relatively unknown and apparently non-puncher Pawel Glazewski. Roy was dropped hard in something like the 5th round and never really recovered, requiring a robbery on the scorecards to win. 

So I think if Enzo can land (he does have decent power) he will knock Roy out. 

• 2 weeks later...
Â