The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Thought that was a draw.  Very close fight

Well said, D. You couldn't have complained had it gone the other way, imo. The thing is, it's the fighter who looks the better in those last few rounds that usually prevails.

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Why Fury stopped with them body - shots is beyond me. All he had to do what was keep that jab with the distance. He just lost momentum after that ninth.

I said before the fight yesterday, he'd concentrate on the body with Usyk doing the headhunting. I agree, why he stopped working the body when it was obviously giving Usyk trouble is beyond me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thought that was a draw.  Very close fight

Close fight, but I would struggle to argue that Fury had done as much or more than Usyk

Posted (edited)

Usyks one hell of a man, his class is streets ahead of Fury who's a pretty poor loser. Fury corner thought he needed the last round to win! Miles away, Usyk was 4 rounds ahead.

Edited by tinker
  • Like 3

Fury thought he should have won 😂😂

No mention of the fact that he got battered round the ring in that one round and if it weren't for the bell, he'd have been KO'd. 

As for the war comment, pathetic, just like he is, the fat trollop. 

Posted (edited)

Don’t understand the split decision to be honest, it was a close fight but Usyk was the winner by at least a couple of points.  No way Fury should’ve been scored better by any reasonable person imo.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Why Fury stopped with them body - shots is beyond me

Usyk made an adjustment, he moved further across to Fury’s left and that took the the uppercut to the body away from Fury as the centre line had moved and he couldn’t throw it straight anymore.

Usyk had superior footwork so he was always able to stay in that position. It seemed to me that Fury wasted several rounds trying to make Usyk walk onto a check hook in the corner too but Usyk wasn’t buying it, then Fury’s corner were giving him bad advice seemingly because his dad is a big loud dickhead people are afraid to say no to.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Are we thinking AJ would beat Fury now?

Shame we didn't get it when it was provisionally agreed in 2021, before Fury was forced to fight Wilder for the third time and AJ was ordered to fight Usyk as his WBO mandatory.

Wouldn't surprise me if we don't see Fury in a ring again. 

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

So was Fury given a count and a ‘knockdown’ in the 9th? How can the ref even do that?

He was given a count as I think they'll say the ropes kept him up. So a 10 - 8 round 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, avfc1982am said:

I said before the fight yesterday, he'd concentrate on the body with Usyk doing the headhunting. I agree, why he stopped working the body when it was obviously giving Usyk trouble is beyond me. 

Some fighters have that indomitable will to win and Usyk has it in spades. I actually thought he was on the verge of getting stopped with the accumulation of those body - shots from Fury. Wherever did he find that second wind from, literally!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Some fighters have that indomitable will to win and Usyk has it in spades. I actually thought he was on the verge of getting stopped with the accumulation of those body - shots from Fury. Wherever did he find that second wind from, literally!

I think the turning point was Usyk landing on Fury's nose and bloodying him up. Until then I think Fury was pretty dismissive of him and in the ascendancy. It changed the flow and inevitably led to the big left hand in the ninth. 

• Like 2

It was fight that was close but clear I think - Usyk by three points for me.

Who would we say are the next best heavyweights out there after these two - there's a massive gap before you get down to the likes of Dubois and Joshua, are Anderson and Hrgovic likely to contend?

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

It was fight that was close but clear I think - Usyk by three points for me.

Who would we say are the next best heavyweights out there after these two - there's a massive gap before you get down to the likes of Dubois and Joshua, are Anderson and Hrgovic likely to contend?

3rd is Joshua

4th is Parker

And then a country mile and then the likes of Dubios, Hrgovic, Zhang, Anderson, Wallin

• Like 1

Just now, avfc1982am said:

I think the turning point was Usyk landing on Fury's nose and bloodying him up. Until then I think Fury was pretty dismissive of him and in the ascendancy. It changed the flow and inevitably led to the big left hand in the ninth. 

That's exactly what happened. Fury didn't have another gear. Whereas, Usyk pushed the "Turbo Button".

You could see the panic and confusion from the punch to the nose. Like I said, he should have stayed switched on enough to avoid that.

Â