The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Just now, PaulC said:

Nah he's made enough money he doesn't need to.  Think he will retire.

Far too much pride for that to happen. 

Probably needs the rematch to pay the "Council Tax".😉😉

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Far too much pride for that to happen. 

Probably needs the rematch to pay the "Council Tax".😉😉

Don't think his wife will want him to. Too many boxers go on too long and end up with brain damage 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Nah he's made enough money he doesn't need to.  Think he will retire.

I saw a clip of the press conference after the fight and he was already saying “I’ll spend some time with the family, eat some food, drink some beers and decide what to do next”.

He'll take the rematch, the Furys have never got enough money, an as big John says "there a fighting family.".

As for Fury winning the rematch, I think a few are under estimating how good Usyk really is. He's a absolute tactician, if he don't get over powered, he's finishing you in the later rounds.

22 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Don't think his wife will want him to. Too many boxers go on too long and end up with brain damage 

And how many wives do you think, through the years, have been ignored by their boxer husband?

It's not like he was outclassed throughout the fight. He was in the ascendancy up until the ninth, when he strated to lose some bounce. That alone will be enough to inspire encouragement for the rematch. 

Not sure the outcome would be any different but if it was, it wouldn't surprise me. 

• Like 1

I thought that was a super close fight last night and have watched it back again this morning. I have no problem with the result, at the end last night I wasn't sure who's hand was going to be raised but personally I gave it to Usyk based on the 10 8 round. I don't know how Fury wins a rematch. I don't think there is a better version of him at this stage of his career. He was fit and strong and resilient and still couldn't handle Usyk.

Usyk is remarkable though. He took some real punishment to the body, but fought to the end like his tank was still full. At times he looked tiny in the ring next to Fury, but in the end he was the bigger man. His mental strength is world class.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

And how many wives do you think, through the years, have been ignored by their boxer husband?

It's not like he was outclassed throughout the fight. He was in the ascendancy up until the ninth, when he strated to lose some bounce. That alone will be enough to inspire encouragement for the rematch. 

Not sure the outcome would be any different but if it was, it wouldn't surprise me. 

Don't know Don't care really.  Don't like him. Don't like his dad. Don't live that far from him.either. 

It would be nice if during the build up to the rematch someone from Usyk camp sparks out John Fury, you know just to sell a few tickets.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

It would be nice if during the build up to the rematch someone from Usyk camp sparks out John Fury, you know just to sell a few tickets.

It would be nice if someone sparks out John Fury full stop.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Don't know Don't care really.  Don't like him. Don't like his dad. Don't live that far from him.either. 

Get on TikTok Paul and offer his old man out 👍

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Get on TikTok Paul and offer his old man out 👍

Putting all the nonsense to one side. As a spectacle it certainly excedeed my expectations. Once Fury dropped a gear, Usyk pounced and sensed blood, literally. I think the rematch is 60/40 in favour of it happening. Think you was spot - on in the decision. That ninth was decisive. Without that 2 point margin, we would have probably got a Fury win or a draw.

Have to give Usyk his due. To shift the momentum like he did was astonishing. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Putting all the nonsense to one side. As a spectacle it certainly excedeed my expectations. Once Fury dropped a gear, Usyk pounced and sensed blood, literally. I think the rematch is 60/40 in favour of it happening. Think you was spot - on in the decision. That ninth was decisive. Without that 2 point margin, we would have probably got a Fury win or a draw.

Have to give Usyk his due. To shift the momentum like he did was astonishing. 

Incredible really he looked a beaten man. He’s a lot better than I thought he was.

Posted (edited)

I stick by my thoughts after last night especially the fact that there were far too many voices being heard in Fury's corner. His old man continually talking over Sugar was very detrimental to the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if some harsh words were exchanged after the fight in the dressing room. The corner was a bit of a shambles which wouldn't have helped Fury at all. 

All in all though it was a pretty close fight with many rounds being very subjective as to who won because it was very nip and tuck throughout.  

I'm not sure but I also think the IBF belt may be relinquished due to the rematch clause which may leave this being the last undisputed HW battle for many a year. Who knows what the future holds for either but I expect both fighters to take a pretty long break from the sport and whether either fighter remains truly committed to running that back in October, who knows.   

Edited by avfc1982am
  • Like 1

Just now, Follyfoot said:

Incredible really he looked a beaten man. He’s a lot better than I thought he was.

Annoyingly good. He just as a unique ability to outwit any opponent put in front of him.

I remember Chris Eubank Snr saying,  years ago, after Lewis had fought Klitschko how Eastern European fighters are the most difficult of opponents. It's so true.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Annoyingly good. He just as a unique ability to outwit any opponent put in front of him.

I remember Chris Eubank Snr saying,  years ago, after Lewis had fought Klitschko how Eastern European fighters are the most difficult of opponents. It's so true.

I would imagine he is absolutely stunning at chess

Edited by Follyfoot

Posted (edited)
Just now, avfc1982am said:

I stick by my thoughts after last night especially the fact that there were far too many voices being heard in Fury's corner. His old man continually talking over Sugar was very detrimental to the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if some harsh words were exchanged after the fight in the dressing room. The corner as a bit of a shambles which wouldn't have helped Fury at all. 

All in all though it was a pretty close fight with many rounds being very subjective as to who won because it was very nip and tuck throughout.  

I'm not sure but I also think the IBF belt may be relinquished due to the rematch clause which may leave this being the last undisputed HW battle for many a year. Who knows what the future holds for either but I expect both fighters to take a pretty long break from the sport and whether either fighter remains truly committed to running that back in October, who knows.   

Yep. It looked like a lot of energy was spent by both fighters. 

Totally agree with the Fury corner business. Too many cooks and all that.

Fury has definitely lost a step or two and that isn't going to change, on the contrary, he will start to tire even quicker as time goes by.

I struggle to see him beating Usyk now, especially with Usyk having that psychological edge.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, Follyfoot said:

Old imagine he is absolutely stunning at chess

Lewis was a top player. That analytical mind, it's difficult to outwit.

I always regretted the fact I never learnt chess but, patience was never my forte, far, far too impulsive. 

Don't mind a bit of Backgammon though. 😉

Edited by sheepyvillian

Â