• Warnock
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Sidwell

Yeah Ashley Cole is a brilliant player, no matter how much of a ____ he is. So many times this season for Chelsea he's bombed down the left for Chelsea and got assists or goals, the Arsenal game for instance he was an absolute nightmare. He's also defended very well in a solid Chelsea back four until the past week or so.

Friedal - 7 - Couple of good saves, as per.

L.Young - 7 - Wasn't letting anything past him, quality.

Cueller - 9 - Another great performance, no nonsense and many a good header and tackle.

Dunne - 9 - Along with Carlos, first rate. Had an absolutely absurdly good tackle second half, at first I thought Jones had **** it, no, Dunne had pulled a corker of a challenge from his locker, summed up his nihght perfectly.

S.Warnock - 7 - Left his shooting boots at home but once again, first rate and helps the attack so much.

Ashley Young - 7 - Seemed somehow to be less involved than he normally is, but still worked hard, hit the post.

Stylian Petrov - 8 - Top rate. Cracking passing and vision, hustled and bustled like we expect, got forward a bit more than usual, very good captains display.

J.Milner - 10 - What a goal. Epitomised his play, strength a bit of skill and a cracking shot. Deft assist too. Ran the game at times and I don't think there's a blade of grass he hasn't touched on that pitch.

Downing - 7 - More of a hardworking than classy display tonight but again showed his skill at times and looks more and more comfortable. Nice freekick first half too.

Agbonlahor - 7 - Typical Gabby. Ran all night, hassled every defender, never quite had a chance drop to him but still he's a vital outlet for us.

Heskey - 8 - Another good display from Emile. Worked bloody hard, had some lovely touches, including a great bit of vision and skill to put Young through on goal that completely foxed the defence, and a really good finish for his goal. Good stuff.

A great performance tonight, truly professional and showed everything that this side does well these days, worked hard, had a bit of skill, and didn't ever let up. Best of all, we looked like we could raise our game further if needed, against a none too shabby Sunderland side. And a special mention to some of our play tonight, we really turned up the style, plenty of nice touches, pretty 1-2s and so on. Didn't work all the time and we went for the hoof a few times as well, but a really good thing to see.

Great stuff. I should note that anyone I gave a 7 here I'd say was pretty much as important as a whole as anyone with a higher mark, it was a pretty team performance.

I love Warnock, I think he's great, but better than Ashley Cole? I don't think so. Ashley Cole is arguable the best left back, even full back, on Earth at the moment.

I choose to ignore the Sky 4 hyperbole and argue that Ashley Cole is shit.

Possibly the most over rated footballer in history.

We'll just have to disagree then, I don't like Ashley Cole, but he's quite simply outstanding.

This. Still smiling after tonight's result, what a brilliant couple days and break up for Christmas tommorow, oh lovely!

I managed to watch this on Football First and I was really impressed with out performance and even though Sunderland had a couple of good goal-scoring chances, once again, our defence was remarkable. Props to all of the back four, especially Dunney - he's such a legend.

Milner... **** hell, HE IS SUCH A SIK PLAYER. His goal against Hull was incredible... I thought it couldn't get better, but oh my, whatabuuuty from him tonight. World class goal from him and a lovely through ball for Heskey's goal too.

Tonight's game was always going to be difficult, Sunderland had only lost game at home this season and that was to Chelsea but our victory tonight has sent out a big message to the teams around us and this was also a type of game tonight to prove we are top 4 material, I think we've certainly showed that now and beating Stoke on Saturday is every bit as important as winning tonight if we want to start to make a getaway from the rest.

I managed to watch this on Football First and I was really impressed with out performance and even though Sunderland had a couple of good goal-scoring chances, once again, our defence was remarkable. Props to all of the back four, especially Dunney - he's such a legend.

Milner... **** hell, HE IS SUCH A SIK PLAYER. His goal against Hull was incredible... I thought it couldn't get better, but oh my, whatabuuuty from him tonight. World class goal from him and a lovely through ball for Heskey's goal too.

Tonight's game was always going to be difficult, Sunderland had only lost game at home this season and that was to Chelsea but our victory tonight has sent out a big message to the teams around us and this was also a type of game tonight to prove we are top 4 material, I think we've certainly showed that now and beating Stoke on Saturday is every bit as important as winning tonight if we want to start to make a getaway from the rest.

Sik post! Props to ya homey.

What a great win - and in terms of our season's ambitions probably more important than the Man U win.

I thought we were terrible in the first twenty minutes - couldn't get possession and when we did kept giving it away. But that lovely goal from Heskey really changed it all. Sunderland got a few really strong chances at goal but it's funny with this defence you kind of expect them to clear the ball even with the certain opposition goals - see for example Dunne's challenge on Jones and Friedl's miraculous reappearance on the goal line when the Sunderland player had a shot on open goal.

But make no mistake we are a team on the rise. This formation using Downing, Young and Milner is lethal and very difficult to counter. And with Heskey and Gabby both in scoring form, we are finally starting to get a reward for our attacking play.

I love the way that MON is talking us down for top 4 too - I think he will keep the boys focused and hungry.

Next up - revenge on Stoke for derailing our season last time around.

Forget the names, Warnock is the best LB in the Premiership at the moment.

I've got to go with this.

I love Warnock, I think he's great, but better than Ashley Cole? I don't think so. Ashley Cole is arguable the best left back, even full back, on Earth at the moment.

Maybe left back, but there are a couple of Brazillian right backs who are in a league above him.

However I would agree that Warnock is easilly better than Wayne Bridge and should be on the plane to South Africa. I would say Evra is just a bit better than Warnock though. Almost as good as Cole, he is.

Forget the names, Warnock is the best LB in the Premiership at the moment.

I've got to go with this.

Maybe left back, but there are a couple of Brazillian right backs who are in a league above him.

However I would agree that Warnock is easilly better than Wayne Bridge and should be on the plane to South Africa. I would say Evra is just a bit better than Warnock though. Almost as good as Cole, he is.

Maicon would give him a good run for his money. Dani Alves is nowhere near good enough defensively though (Which is why Sevilla oft played him as a right winger). Not many full backs are excellent at both sides of the game, Ashley's definitely one, Maicon is probably the only other I can think of.

I think Capello is a bit of a hypocrite to be honest. He says Owen must play regular to get in the team. Yet he seemed more than happy to play Bridge when he was sitting on the Chelsea bench and is even bigging up Hargreaves now!

In any case, Warnock > Bridge.

Just got back from the North-East, what a brilliant win and another three points to carry into our game with Stoke.

Dissapointed with the numbers of fans that went to the game (640 I believe), considering how well we're doing at the moment. And the stewards at the SOL are an absolute disgrace, as people familiar with this away day will probably verify. But a massive, massive win and a very professional performance from the lads. We rode our luck at times in the first half and if Sunderland could finish it might have been a different outcome, but we came out second half and controlled the game, created chances and looked the dominant force, without really ever getting out of third gear.

Friedel- 8- Brilliant save in the first half which could have proved the turning point in the game.

L.Young- 7- Looked solid, although was caught out of position a couple of times in the first half.

Cuellar- 8- No longer a headless chicken, more like a brave warrior putting his life on the line for our cause. He improves with every game, is getting better in the air and has a knack at making some brilliant last ditch tackles.

Dunne- 8- Turning out to be the steal of the season. A rock and a leader at the heart of our defence, something that we missed last season.

Warnock- 7- Guilty of some defence-like finishing in the first-half when a bit more composure might have seen us score, but defensively very sound and growing in statue every game.

Downing- 6- Clearly will be a massive player for us but tonight I thought he was our weakest player. Looked lightweight, gave the ball away and let his man go in the first half which almost led to a goal. Although was very unlucky to see his superb free-kick come off the bar.

Petrov- 8- Does what it says on the tin. Mr reliable in the centre of the park, dictated the pace of the game in the second half, made some good tackles and full of running.

Milner- 9- MOM- World-class goal to sum up another brilliant display in the centre of the park. His work-rate is absolutely comendable, he can score, he can tackle and he can pass. Who was that Barry kid again?

A.Young- 7- Very unlucky with his shot which cannoned off the post but he still flatters to decieve at times. His desision making still needs to improve if he is to improve as a player.

Heskey- 8- I've never been his biggest fan, far from it, but another very good display from him tonight. Calm finish for his goal, and if he had bulleted that header home in the second half like he should have, he may have pushed Jimmy for the MOM award. Used his strength much better tonight to hold the ball up.

Gabby- 8- Another tireless display on a night where the chances fell to his team mates rather than himself which is always frustrating for a striker. Deserved a goal for his efforts.

All in all- Brilliant. We did what we needed to, and we've kept that momentum going which is vitally important.

Great win by the boys and as people said in the past we would have dropped points ina game like this.The formation of Downing,Young,Milner is going to cause headachs for alot of teams because it's got alot of class and pace.Downing has made a huge impact and gave us another dimension bigtime.As for the defence they have been awsome I was a critic when we were signing Dunn ,but gez he has been the best buy in the Premier League by a mile and Hughes made a huge mistake.Luke Young is so consistent and always gives you 100%.Great team effort tho.

Just got back from the North-East, what a brilliant win and another three points to carry into our game with Stoke.

Dissapointed with the numbers of fans that went to the game (640 I believe), considering how well we're doing at the moment. And the stewards at the SOL are an absolute disgrace, as people familiar with this away day will probably verify. But a massive, massive win and a very professional performance from the lads. We rode our luck at times in the first half and if Sunderland could finish it might have been a different outcome, but we came out second half and controlled the game, created chances and looked the dominant force, without really ever getting out of third gear.

Friedel- 8- Brilliant save in the first half which could have proved the turning point in the game.

L.Young- 7- Looked solid, although was caught out of position a couple of times in the first half.

Cuellar- 8- No longer a headless chicken, more like a brave warrior putting his life on the line for our cause. He improves with every game, is getting better in the air and has a knack at making some brilliant last ditch tackles.

Dunne- 8- Turning out to be the steal of the season. A rock and a leader at the heart of our defence, something that we missed last season.

Warnock- 7- Guilty of some defence-like finishing in the first-half when a bit more composure might have seen us score, but defensively very sound and growing in statue every game.

Downing- 6- Clearly will be a massive player for us but tonight I thought he was our weakest player. Looked lightweight, gave the ball away and let his man go in the first half which almost led to a goal. Although was very unlucky to see his superb free-kick come off the bar.

Petrov- 8- Does what it says on the tin. Mr reliable in the centre of the park, dictated the pace of the game in the second half, made some good tackles and full of running.

Milner- 9- MOM- World-class goal to sum up another brilliant display in the centre of the park. His work-rate is absolutely comendable, he can score, he can tackle and he can pass. Who was that Barry kid again?

A.Young- 7- Very unlucky with his shot which cannoned off the post but he still flatters to decieve at times. His desision making still needs to improve if he is to improve as a player.

Heskey- 8- I've never been his biggest fan, far from it, but another very good display from him tonight. Calm finish for his goal, and if he had bulleted that header home in the second half like he should have, he may have pushed Jimmy for the MOM award. Used his strength much better tonight to hold the ball up.

Gabby- 8- Another tireless display on a night where the chances fell to his team mates rather than himself which is always frustrating for a striker. Deserved a goal for his efforts.

All in all- Brilliant. We did what we needed to, and we've kept that momentum going which is vitally important.

Thought the crowd looked low but a few weeks away from christmas and a lot have been up there once this season and lost time from work already for it.

express

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez says it is “a fact” that his side will finish in the top four.

But he obviously has not been watching Villa lately because they have Usain Bolt-like speed up front and a defence marshalled by the towering presence of Richard Dunne, who is surely the bargain of the season after his move from Manchester City.

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce said: “Villa are big and strong, unrecognisable from when Martin O’Neill took over. If there is any team I’d like to emulate, they are the ones.”

Just overjoyed with this result. I thought the whole team, once again, played their part. What is really heartening, is that I finally have a lot of confidence in our defense. Don't get me wrong, I thought Laursen was excellent, but I was never comfortable, even when he was playing at his best. But lately I can see 3 CM's who just ooze class and Cuéllar in particular comes in for special mention by me - for turning around what wasn't the greatest of starts at the club and really showing what MON saw in him, and why we paid what we did.

I also remember a number of times when people have questioned the fee paid for Milner - and I've always said it was bloody peanuts compared to what his worth is going to be, and this season in particular he has shown why I've always believed that about him. Another incredible display and goal.

It was really tough to give MOTM to anyone, because I think they have all deserved some mention, but I have gone for Cuéllar - for no other reason than I think his improvement deserves some sort of recognition, and its so difficult to choose between him, Dunne and Milner, because all three were immense again, with everyone only a hairsbreadth behind.

Godammit, I won't be home for any of them. If anyone has any highlights I'd love to see them. Only managed to catch the second half on the radio.

Great result though. I was so worried we'd follow up the OT result with a lacklustre display here, but Villa delivered. A brilliant birthday present!