PL: Spurs h Match Thread 2009/11/28 17:30

limpid

Would rather see Jenas play from a Villa point of view, Huddlestone has the passing ability to thread balls through our defence for Keane/ Defoe to run onto.

Very hard to call this game TBH, depends which teams turn up from both sides as both seem to be to inconsistent to break the top 4 ATM, perhaps this game will change that?

Got some great English talent on show, form both teams and IMO between us we should make up more than half of the England team.

Think we will stay the same as as the last game, accept Heskey for Carew, Downing will come on after 60 minutes+. Our fans will be really up for this and I have a feeling the late kick off time will help with the atmosphere in this one, lets shouts our f****n heads off.

Prediction, first instinct says 5-5, so my prediction is 0-0. UTV

Would rather see Jenas play from a Villa point of view, Huddlestone has the passing ability to thread balls through our defence for Keane/ Defoe to run onto.

Very hard to call this game TBH, depends which teams turn up from both sides as both seem to be to inconsistent to break the top 4 ATM, perhaps this game will change that?

Got some great English talent on show, form both teams and IMO between us we should make up more than half of the England team.

Think we will stay the same as as the last game, accept Heskey for Carew, Downing will come on after 60 minutes+. Our fans will be really up for this and I have a feeling the late kick off time will help with the atmosphere in this one, lets shouts our f****n heads off.

Good post.

About the top 4 comment though, I slightly disagree, from Spurs' point of view anyway. I'll let the Villa fans comment on their team's consistency. But if you take away the matches against the top 3 teams (which will have no bearing on who takes fourth place anyway, in my opinion) then Spurs have only dropped five points this season. A draw away to Bolton and home defeat to Stoke, which whilst a very disappointing result for us, most fans believe we were unlikely to not win. We certainly played better than we did when we picked up three points against Sunderland, that's for sure.

So I wouldn't really bemoan Spurs' consistency, this season anyway. And looking at Villa's results so far, the Blackburn and West Ham losses, and possibly the Wolves draw, seem like the only results you'll look back on at the end of the season and wish you'd picked up a few extra points.

Now look at City and Liverpool and you have inconsistency. Although City's five draws in a row is pretty damn consistent. And if they don't start racking up the wins before Christmas then I expect Spurs and Villa to start to open up a decent gap between them both.

And looking at Villa's results so far, the Blackburn and West Ham losses, and possibly the Wolves draw, seem like the only results you'll look back on at the end of the season and wish you'd picked up a few extra points.

There is also the home defeat by Wigan but generally agree with the rest of your post.

I'm always the pessimist when it comes to predicting our results, but I really can't see us getting anything at all from this. At least a brace from Defoe and we will struggle to create anything is my prediction. Hope I'm wrong.

Good post.

About the top 4 comment though, I slightly disagree, from Spurs' point of view anyway. I'll let the Villa fans comment on their team's consistency. But if you take away the matches against the top 3 teams (which will have no bearing on who takes fourth place anyway, in my opinion) then Spurs have only dropped five points this season. A draw away to Bolton and home defeat to Stoke, which whilst a very disappointing result for us, most fans believe we were unlikely to not win. We certainly played better than we did when we picked up three points against Sunderland, that's for sure.

So I wouldn't really bemoan Spurs' consistency, this season anyway. And looking at Villa's results so far, the Blackburn and West Ham losses, and possibly the Wolves draw, seem like the only results you'll look back on at the end of the season and wish you'd picked up a few extra points.

Now look at City and Liverpool and you have inconsistency. Although City's five draws in a row is pretty damn consistent. And if they don't start racking up the wins before Christmas then I expect Spurs and Villa to start to open up a decent gap between them both.

In my opinion thats a load of rubbish, our results against West Ham and Wigan have been cancelled out by our wins against Liverpool and Chelsea. Of course they are looked at as bein bonus points when you beat a 'sky 4' club, but they can also work when you don't pick up points when you should, as this is always going to happen. So therefore they will affect the final positions, otherwise we'd be 6 points worse off now.

The thing is though, if Spurs continue to get steamrolled by the big boys on each occasion I don't think have any more of chance than us of finishing fourth because obviously, if you want to be finishing fourth you've got to take points off the Arsenal's, Chelsea's, United's, Liverpool's and even Citeh to an extent. This isn't just the first season we've turned over the top teams, it's dated way back to the start of the 07/08 season when we beat Chelsea at home 2-0, drew at their place 4-4, drew at Liverpool 2-2 and drew 1-1 at The Emirates... that also continued last season even managing to get a point at home against United which we have not done in a very long time. So when you look at it, both us and Spurs have the opposite weaknesses. We can beat the big boys and get results wheras we'll struggle a bit more against the 'lesser' teams... it's the opposite way round for Spurs and it doesn't work in either club's favour really although I would say that if we can beat the big teams, it shows we should be doing it against the lesser teams.

Anyway, about today, I really do feel this is a 'must win' match. A draw wouldn't be the end of the world but that could even mean Citeh go ahead of us if they beat Hull (which I think they will). So a win is vital to get back level on points with Spurs which will wipe the smug off that stupid criminal's face while it also leaves a small gap between between us and the chasing pack.

Not enough energy. I think we should play 5 in mindfield..

Reo Coker----Petrov

milner--------------young--------------downing

-----------------------gabby or carew---------------

Its lethal and we get all the boys in the team with all there different talents. Reo coker for his energy and breaking up play, Petrov controlling and sweeping boring balls left and right.....BUT this time to players with lots of creativity,,being Milner Young and Downing. It would be awsome.

Btw, if we are going to be playing a 4-4-2 (which most likely we will be) what does everyone think of Petrov and Downing playing together in midfield rather than Petrov and Sidwell?

Can't see that happening tbh, Milner in the middle seems far more likely.

We're much better at home than last season, so you'd think we've got a good chance with this one really. Unfortunately I think it depends on which Carew turns up, Bolton Carew or Burnley Carew.