PL: Spurs h Match Thread 2009/11/28 17:30

limpid

COME ON YOU VILLA BOYSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

I reckon we will definitely see Downing's first Villa park appearance tomorrow, not sure if it will be from the bench or as a starter.

I am extremely confident we will win this, not sure why though.

Can't see Downing starting after playing for the reserves, it's way too much of a risk. He will come on after 70min or so depending on our situation

I doubt Collins will play either if he is a doubt.

Heskey Vs Carew = Interesting one and too hard to call, I would stick with Carew for another game, hoping the home crowd spurs [ no pun intended] him on.

Spurs have no new injuries following the Wigan match: King and Cudicini remain out, and although he's now back in training it's too soon for Modric. Everyone else, now including Dos Santos, is available for selection.

I'd guess Harry will make 2 or 3 changes changes from last week: Bassong in for Dawson (since otherwise, without King, we'd have little pace in the CB pairing to cope with the likes of Agbonlahor), maybe Keane instead of Crouch up front, and maybe the pacier and more energetic Jenas instead of Huddlestone in CM.

So my guess would be:

------------ Gomes -------

Corluka - Woodgate - Bassong - Ekotto

Lennon - Jenas - Palacios - Kranjcar

---------- Defoe - Keane

Tbh, as long as Harry doesn't try to play Crouch, Defoe and Keane all at the same time, and sticks to 4-4-2, I don't mind too much which outfield players he choses to pick alongside Lennon, Palacios and Defoe.

That's interesting...

I would of thought Spurs would stick with Huddlestone instead of Jenas because of Huddlestone's recent form and Jenas being crap this season (according to Spurs fans anyway). Even though Jenas is energetic and is hard working he just doesn't seem too much of a threat from midfield whereas I think Huddlestone, although not being very quick can make make up for that because he has a decent strike on him and can play great through balls.

Bassong? Is he only just returning from injury or is it a case Dawson will be getting dropped?

Personally, I think Spurs should go for Crouch in this game. Our defence is big, quick and strong and although Defoe and Keane are great you'll need a target man like Crouch to hold the ball up and make room for his partnering striker. Although Crouch is less talented than both Defoe and Keane at scoring goals he'll be a big value for Spurs in this type of game especially from set-pieces where his height might even cause our defence one or two problems.

Spurs have no new injuries following the Wigan match: King and Cudicini remain out, and although he's now back in training it's too soon for Modric. Everyone else, now including Dos Santos, is available for selection.

I'd guess Harry will make 2 or 3 changes changes from last week: Bassong in for Dawson (since otherwise, without King, we'd have little pace in the CB pairing to cope with the likes of Agbonlahor), maybe Keane instead of Crouch up front, and maybe the pacier and more energetic Jenas instead of Huddlestone in CM.

So my guess would be:

------------ Gomes -------

Corluka - Woodgate - Bassong - Ekotto

Lennon - Jenas - Palacios - Kranjcar

---------- Defoe - Keane

Tbh, as long as Harry doesn't try to play Crouch, Defoe and Keane all at the same time, and sticks to 4-4-2, I don't mind too much which outfield players he choses to pick alongside Lennon, Palacios and Defoe.

That's interesting...

I would of thought Spurs would stick with Huddlestone instead of Jenas because of Huddlestone's recent form and Jenas being crap this season (according to Spurs fans anyway). Even though Jenas is energetic and is hard working he just doesn't seem too much of a threat from midfield whereas I think Huddlestone, although not being very quick can make make up for that because he has a decent strike on him and can play great through balls.

Bassong? Is he only just returning from injury or is it a case Dawson will be getting dropped?

Personally, I think Spurs should go for Crouch in this game. Our defence is big, quick and strong and although Defoe and Keane are great you'll need a target man like Crouch to hold the ball up and make room for his partnering striker. Although Crouch is less talented than both Defoe and Keane at scoring goals he'll be a big value for Spurs in this type of game especially from set-pieces where his height might even cause our defence one or two problems.

I was gonna say the same thing. The team Glaston has posted looks very 'small'. Crouch, Huddelstone and Dawson will play imo. Redknapp is no fool and he knows how dangerous we are from set-pieces. Should be a gooden! :)

I was gonna say the same thing. The team Glaston has posted looks very 'small'. Crouch, Huddelstone and Dawson will play imo. Redknapp is no fool and he knows how dangerous we are from set-pieces. Should be a gooden! :)

Redknapp is no fool, but he makes some very silly decisions. Remember last year when everyone was going on about how we hope Zokora plays since Ashley would rape him. Redknapp then, for some reason, picked Zokora ahead of Chimbonda and he was taken off in the first half! :crylaugh:

Redknapp is no fool, but he makes some very silly decisions. Remember last year when everyone was going on about how we hope Zokora plays since Ashley would rape him. Redknapp then, for some reason, picked Zokora ahead of Chimbonda and he was taken off in the first half! :crylaugh:

But saw the problem early doors and fixed it as soon as possible, he didn't wait until past the 60th min full stop!

Tough one this.

Currently so far this season.

Better than us = fine performance, usually a win.

Worse than us = terrible performance, struggle (apart from Bolton who made us look like Brazil)

Similar standard = ??

Which Villa will turn up, we struggle to score goals, they have no problem even before last week. They dont defend as well as us, a sensible man would say a draw.

Football is never that simple though.

If I were Redknob I would play Jenas instead of Huddlestone. Jenas will get in behind Petrov in the same way that Ireland did for Citeh and find a lot of space. Huddlestone will play his football in front of Stan and it will be a lot easier to cope. I would love to think that MON would respond to Jenas with the more energetic NRC over Stan but I have given up on this thought now!

Tactically against Spurs I would like to see this team:

Friedel

Young     Cuellar    Dunne    Warnock

Milner      NRC      Petrov     Young

Gabby     Heskey 

Bring Downing on at half time for NRC / Heskey / Gabby depending on how we're doing.