PL: Spurs h Match Thread 2009/11/28 17:30

limpid

I've just been watching Sky Sports News and they're saying Downing is poised to make his home debut tommorow... hopefully that means no more Sidwell!

I'd be suprised if Downing starts (although I wouldnt be dissappointed) - however I suspect he will be on the bench.

I would pack the midfield out with a 4-5-1 formation to try and dictate the play. Hopefully Petrov will be up for this one - needs to get back to controlling the middle. Our centre backs will ahve to be at their bets I suspect as Defoe will be brimming with confidence and Crouch is always a handful.

Yeh according to those who saw the Reserves game midweek Downing looked very tired. Understandably. Would be surprised if he started.

In that forum thingy MON did, he said he intended to play YoungMIlner and Downing all in the same team.

James Collins is a doubt for the clash with Tottenham this weekend.

The central defender was absent from both the Bolton and Burnley games with a groin problem and Martin O'Neill revealed the summer signing is struggling to be fit after missing training this morning.

Official Site

Spurs have no new injuries following the Wigan match: King and Cudicini remain out, and although he's now back in training it's too soon for Modric. Everyone else, now including Dos Santos, is available for selection.

I'd guess Harry will make 2 or 3 changes changes from last week: Bassong in for Dawson (since otherwise, without King, we'd have little pace in the CB pairing to cope with the likes of Agbonlahor), maybe Keane instead of Crouch up front, and maybe the pacier and more energetic Jenas instead of Huddlestone in CM.

So my guess would be:

------------ Gomes -------

Corluka - Woodgate - Bassong - Ekotto

Lennon - Jenas - Palacios - Kranjcar

---------- Defoe - Keane

Tbh, as long as Harry doesn't try to play Crouch, Defoe and Keane all at the same time, and sticks to 4-4-2, I don't mind too much which outfield players he choses to pick alongside Lennon, Palacios and Defoe.

home game, so two up top -

however, i'd start with heskey on current form.

------------------------friedel----------------------------

----young----------cuellar---dunne----------warnock--

-------------------petrov-------sidwell--------------------

-----Milner--------------------------------------young-----

-------------------heskey------agbonlahor----------------

he's not going to drop the captain and while I like reo-coker, I wouldn't swap him in for petrov or sidwelll because we'll definitely need to keep the ball and spurs do give you time to play.

I don't think this game is going to be pretty, i can see us stopping them from playing for the most part though still think they will still dominate possession with their superior passing ability. It will be interesting to see if Downing plays though and if he brings a bit more cohesion to our midfield play, it might make all the difference. I'm sure there are a few people that are hoping he will.

I predict a high scoring draw, 3-3.

I'd guess Harry will make 2 or 3 changes changes from last week: Bassong in for Dawson (since otherwise, without King, we'd have little pace in the CB pairing to cope with the likes of Agbonlahor), maybe Keane instead of Crouch up front, and maybe the pacier and more energetic Jenas instead of Huddlestone in CM.

So my guess would be:

------------ Gomes -------

Corluka - Woodgate - Bassong - Ekotto

Lennon - Jenas - Palacios - Kranjcar

---------- Defoe - Keane

Tbh, as long as Harry doesn't try to play Crouch, Defoe and Keane all at the same time, and sticks to 4-4-2, I don't mind too much which outfield players he choses to pick alongside Lennon, Palacios and Defoe.

I agree with most of this. The centre back pairing, in my opinion will be a tough one. On one hand, you need Bassong's pace to deal with Agbonlahor. On the other hand, Villa are quite deadly at set pieces so you need Dawson's aerial ability to defend against set pieces.

Agree with the last part completely. Defoe/Keane or Defoe/Crouch is great as long as one of them is on the bench. Kranjcar has to start, without a doubt. He was awesome against Wigan and he's far more effective on the left than anyone else we have currently available.

Depending on the score, I hope Gio is given a runout at the end. If we're chasing a goal, he's capable of providing one out of nowhere.

Really, really looking forward to this game though. Have a lot of respect for Villa and seriously hope that they take 4th place if Spurs aren't able to. So, as a Spurs fan, I'd love a win but a draw would be a good result. But as a fan that doesn't want to see Liverpool or Man City finish 4th, a draw would be a bad result in that respect.