Ibrahimovic - Good player or overated?

L6HolteEnder

good or overated  

71 members have voted

1. 1. good or overated

• good
    • overated

One of the most underrated strikers around: Just look at his career stats... and he's already filled Samuel Eto'os boots with ease at Barcelona.

1999–2001 Malmö FF 40 (16)

2001–2004 Ajax 74 (35)

2004–2006 Juventus 70 (23)

2006–2009 Internazionale 88 (57)

2009– Barcelona 9 (7)

I think he is a great player. The quintessential flat track bully though. He goes missing so often in the really big games and I guess that is what separates him from the genuine top tier of active players today. Not his ability as a player. Not his stats. Just the fact that he hasnt had that career defining game. If he wants to be up there with Messi, Ronaldo, Torres (etc) then he needs that season where he is top scorer in the Champions League, or he scores in the final or turns a lost cause on its head. I think him not having done that yet is surprising, but he just hasnt had that game or that season when he is on the back page of every newspaper in Europe.

Technically brilliant, mentally poor.

His skill will always beat the weaker opponents, but as proven doesn't have the mentality to out-think world class defences. Instead of being cocky individual he is, he should prove his worth in a big game, if not he'll be forgotten in 50 years time. I'm surprised really as he had a player like Larsson with him for Sweden who a genius at times for me.

This may be his year to prove himself once and for all.

He's in the best team he's ever been in, if he maintains his form then he will have an exceptional season.

But then he hasn't done anything yet this season he hasn't done before.

Against the big teams and in the champions league is where he needs to shine. (If Barca get through!)

I think he is a great player. The quintessential flat track bully though. He goes missing so often in the really big games and I guess that is what separates him from the genuine top tier of active players today. Not his ability as a player. Not his stats. Just the fact that he hasnt had that career defining game. If he wants to be up there with Messi, Ronaldo, Torres (etc) then he needs that season where he is top scorer in the Champions League, or he scores in the final or turns a lost cause on its head. I think him not having done that yet is surprising, but he just hasnt had that game or that season when he is on the back page of every newspaper in Europe.
I'd put alot of that down to the teams he has had, Barcelona is the first attacking force he has played in, Inter Milan used to line up like this from MF forward:

--Zanetti--Cambiasso---Muntari---

----------------Stankovic------------

---------Balotelli-----Ibra-----------

Stankovic in there was the only player who could create, and even he is a limited player, put them in the CL against teams who are technically superior and Ibra is starved of everything, forced to come take the ball from 40 yards out and try miracles from there.

The lazy argument was valid 2-3 years ago, at Juve he was lazy and moody, seems like he's realised that's not good enough if he wants to be considered great so he works a little harder and his attitude has improved.

I'll judge him based on this year, capable of incredible things but he's never done it on a consistent basis, IMO thats down to a lack of support in previous squads, there is certainly enough from Xavi & co.

Technically brilliant, mentally poor.

His skill will always beat the weaker opponents, but as proven doesn't have the mentality to out-think world class defences. Instead of being cocky individual he is, he should prove his worth in a big game, if not he'll be forgotten in 50 years time. I'm surprised really as he had a player like Larsson with him for Sweden who a genius at times for me.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

In the same bracket as Carew, good, not world class, and very lazy!

Oh so very wrong.

Â