PL: Bolton h Ratings & Reactions 2009/11/07

limpid

I feel I should know more of the Sylvester in joke...

Anywho, I managed to catch most of the game on the radio so no point rating us, but we seemed to play very well.

Caught the last half hour on a stream and we really did look good, threatening without being particularly threatened, taking it all in our strides.

And I'm chuffed Carlos got a goal. And Carew's sounds a classic.

Oh and a shout out for McKagan - the guy travels down from Bolton for every home game. His computer has been **** so he hasnt been on here but props for the long distance support!

I am very pleased with our emphatic win today... it's about time we've truly ran a team into the ground scoring freely.

It was GREAT to see Luke Young back... although Cuellar has looked consistent at RB this season, Luke Young just looks more comfortable in that position and his pace offeres us lots in both attack and defence - lets hope he's given MON a reason to start against Burnley.

Overall it was just a brilliant team-permormance from the boys tody and players, most notably Sidwell, Ash and Carew who haven't been up to scratch recently all played very well today, however, Sidwell is still going to have to convince me more that he's good enough to earn a place in the 1st team. Coker was fantastic today - we've certainly been missing that 'spark' he gives us in midfield.

So yeah... very happy with today which means we go above Citeh and now have a better GD than both Spurs and Citeh... but lets make sure we try and follow up with this win with a win at Burnley - it's certainly not a banker, but we it'd be good to put a few wins together before we play The Toads at home.

And yes, the poppy on the shirt looked very nice. Well done MR.Kitman.

Chuffed with today's win if Warnock keeps this up he has to be a strong candidate for the world cup.

Top marks for everyone from me.

All this with Downing,Delph,Petrov,Collins all waiting in the wings plus a very promising set of youngsters.

Great performance and a very entertaining game.

Gabby - brilliant, didn't put a foot wrong, terrified their defense, scored a goal.

JC - brilliant, controlled with head, chest, feet, laid off, made assists, scored. Wow! Pity that thunderous shot didn't go in in the second half (shoot! shoot!).

Milner - great workrate, some really good touches and skills occasionally. A real pro! Shite pen but well done for following up!

NRC - looked very comfortable in the middle. Never seemed over-stretched.

Ash - Scored and had an assist and a great free kick at the end, but, he wasted lots of crosses, maybe 9 out of 10 which is astonishing.

I keep expecting the Ash of last year and he is not back yet. Fingers crossed that he will!

Sidwell - hmmm, I don't see why many on here say he was good. Apart from one or two runs and a couple of tackles everything else was dire. very poor player, gave away lots of fouls too and on another day would have been carded. Surely Delph or Gardner would be better?

Luke Young, Warnock, Dunne, Cuellar were all strong and confident. Nice to see. Great goal Carlos!

Delfouneso and Delph looked bright when they came on. Really pleased to see them play though a bit longer would have been better. The Fonz won the free kick for Ash's late free kick by running and taking on the defense. Great to see that confidence!

Great stuff guys!

Did anyone see Ashleys skills on the touchline to keep the ball in which lead to the 2nd goal! He was back to his normal today, he put some great crosses in! This will give the boys great confidence, now it's up to MON whether he changes a winning side!

now it's up to MON whether he changes a winning side!

IMO he must keep this team together, but you never do know with him, do we? This is the most frustrating thing for me with MON, he changes winning teams.

And for those who said it will be a boring game, 16 goals in the last 3 games against Bolton at VP says otherwise.

Also, it is suprisingly quiet in here, maybe its because there is nothing to moan about...

I heard that Bolton changed their name to the Wonderers, because they are wondering what the hell just hit them. Great game! I think we might have doubled our goals from open play for the season in this one game.

Great performance from everyone today. If we could get that from Carew every week we'd be almost unbeatable. Ally that to an eager and fresh looking Gabby. Reo-Coker broke up so many attacks. Sidwell was everywhere as was Milner. Ash is definitely getting his form back. Not quite 100% there yet but his 95% is better than most others. The defence and keeper were solid if under-used. Would have liked to see Albrighton but it was good to see Fonz, Gardner & Delph.

Unfortunately I can't see Petrov being dropped though I think we've seen the last of Heskey for a while unless Carew gets injured.

Oh and today was the first home game of the season whose attendance was higher than the same fixture last season so kudos to the Villa Park faithful for that. And isn't Cuéllar's goal the first Spanish goal in the history of Aston Villa Football Club? If so, and I think it might be, then that's quite a historical moment :D And whisper it quietly but today was our highest possession stats of the season so far.

And just to say I was right - it had heavy home win written all over it :D :nod:

IMO he must keep this team together, but you never do know with him, do we? This is the most frustrating thing for me with MON, he changes winning teams.

But if he doesn't and we lose, he's not using his squad well enough. He really can't win to be fair.

Awesome performance today. Gabbys performance was something special, I've never seen him play the ball about so casually.

Had a great day at Villa Park today. We got off to a brilliant start which set the atmosphere in the stadium off Was so happy to see us mixing it up and playing it on the deck. More importantly we saw Carew and to a lesser extent Ash, get back to their best which on their day is nigh on unstoppable. With those 2 playing at peak performance we are almost a top 4 team.

Cuellar was fantastic today. Didnt misplace a pass, so solid at the back. Really happy to see him thriving in his favourite position and getting a goal. He is a quality CB, and happy to help the team out by playing at RB without any fuss.

Sidwell was good, lots of energy and tackiling, some decent passing aswell, he cant get a goal for love nor money at the mo. I dont think he is the answer personally but he deserves a bit longer to make an impact before we write him off. Reo was good also, anchored the midfield, his passing again was much quicker sharper and he kept it simple. Hope he isnt tossed back onto the bench as soon as Stan is back.

Gabby had one of his best games. Fantastic performance. His positioning and finishing still needs some work, but he always looks like getting goals at the moment. Hope he can keep it going. We have a major assett here if he can keep improving as he matures.

Warnock & L Young, solid yet again. We have one of the best full back pairings in the country IMO.

Milner - Top notch. His workrate is phenomenal, never seen anyone run so much or work so hard. He makes our right hand side rock solid when combined with L.Young.

Been a while since Ive seen us dominate a game like that. Very encouraging after a particulary poor set of recent results / performances.

But if he doesn't and we lose, he's not using his squad well enough. He really can't win to be fair.

Awesome performance today. Gabbys performance was something special, I've never seen him play the ball about so casually.

Difference between him and Moore's, the drive to succeed and keep improving :)

Good win although im sure Mon will bottle it vs burnley and drop Nrc.

every game Nrc has started we have won 4/4 liverpool/fulham/buenoses/bolton

I fail to see how that would be 'bottling it'. Surely bottling it would be dropping either Carew/Agbonlahor and going 5 in midfield? :?