General Chat

Stevo985

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Apparently in the U.S. version the weapon in every room is a gun.

Can't be true. How would anyone get murdered if they all had a gun? 

• Like 1

on board games  , found a load of mine at the parents house the other week

Mine a Million

Formula one

Escape from Colditz

tbf the F1 board game was actually ,more exciting than the real thing  .. I remember me and my brother used to fight over being the Germans on Colditz as you got to use the "Shoot to kill" card 

Just now, chrisp65 said:

More exciting than the real thing?

spacer.png

I just can’t believe that’s even possible. There was a race a couple of years back, where one of the cars overtook someone, and nearly finished higher up the finishing places than their pre season budget would have suggested. They almost had to change the rules. More exciting than that?

well once the dice rolled off the table and we couldn't find it for a few mins  , Sky F1 would kill for that level of drama 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Mine a Million

Formula one

Escape from Colditz

tbf the F1 board game was actually ,more exciting than the real thing 

Ah yes, Waddingtons Formula One. I still sometimes baffle my family by randomly saying "Tyre wear one, brake wear one" when driving on twisty roads. 

Mine a Million was pretty good, too. 

Never played Colditz, sounds great. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Escape from Colditz

There was a time about 7 or 8 years ago where that became a holy grail board game. Seemingly very limited supplies on second hand markets and it was going for silly money on eBay. By the time I found an intact set on the street (Brighton is a great place to go foraging), it was down to about £40 value. Keep meaning to getting around to playing it but the instructions do seem to make it sound a complicated game. 

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

There was a time about 7 or 8 years ago where that became a holy grail board game. Seemingly very limited supplies on second hand markets and it was going for silly money on eBay. By the time I found an intact set on the street (Brighton is a great place to go foraging), it was down to about £40 value. Keep meaning to getting around to playing it but the instructions do seem to make it sound a complicated game. 

Nah, its quite simple really, you're either a german or an allied country, you roll dice, draw cards and move tactically. You go certain routes out of the castle and that triggers a certain amount of dice throws by the german to catch you. Oh and you can't end your go on a spotlight square or you'll be caught, just stuff like that

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, choffer said:

We would have been around 10 -12 year sold when playing it so i don't think its that complicated tbf 

probably 40 years since I last played it but from memory you had to collect a few items in order to escape  , so if a wall was 50m , you needed to acquire rope cards to 50m , or you could get a key card and thus unlock a door and bypass some rope or needing a tunnel   .. meanwhile SS-Obersturmbannführer Tonyh29 had to position guards around the potential escape spots and hope he was close enough to prevent them making a home run 

there is a bit more to it than that  , we must have spend hours and hours and hours  playing it ..until the Atari came along  

Edited by tonyh29

2 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I drove past these two shops on the way back from Cannock today.

I think I’ll continue to buy my meat from Sainsbury’s. 

IMG_1245.thumb.jpeg.e74c24ce6e8301f72ef6f09b895222de.jpeg

I pass them twice a day on my school run. Hednesford. 

• Like 1

On 15/02/2024 at 21:39, Seat68 said:

I pass them twice a day on my school run. Hednesford. 

Your PE teacher seems a bit of word removed making you run that far every day

• Haha 4

Catching up on Dragons Den from last week and if Emma Grede isn't one of the most beautiful (in every way based on the edited hour I've seen, that is) women on the planet than I'm a sausage 

7 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Catching up on Dragons Den from last week and if Emma Grede isn't one of the most beautiful (in every way based on the edited hour I've seen, that is) women on the planet than I'm a sausage 

She was an excellent dragon. 

In arithmetic geometry, the Cox–Zucker machine is an algorithm created by David A. Cox and Steven Zucker. This algorithm determines whether a given set of sections[further explanation needed] provides a basis (up to torsion) for the Mordell–Weil group of an elliptic surface E → S, where S is isomorphic to the projective line.
The name sounds similar to the obscenity "cocksucker". This was a deliberate choice by Cox and Zucker, who conceived of the idea of coauthoring a paper in 1970, while first-year graduate students at Princeton University, for the express purpose of enabling this joke. They followed through on it five years later, as members of the faculty at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey. As Cox explained in a memorial tribute to Zucker in Notices of the American Mathematical Society in 2021: "A few weeks after we met, we realized that we had to write a joint paper because the combination of our last names, in the usual alphabetical order, is remarkably obscene."

Wikipedia

Chris Heck approves. 

• Like 1

How music can change your driving habits. I listened to a chill/trip-hop album yesterday when going to see my folks and I was calm. Other people around me were driving like jizzslurpers, but I was chilled out. If I'd be listening to hard rock/metal, I'm sure i'd have reacted more. 

Edited by Xela

Â