General Chat

Stevo985

but its not the worlds largest photo, its not a single image. Its lots and lots of images stitched together. now I don't have a problem with that per se but its just claiming to be something that it isn't. In some respects all I'd need to do that image is a computer with a big enough memory and set of chips to be capable of processing the image.

What they should be saying is, look we built a big **** off PC. Its all about processing power not photography and I guess thats why it bugs me

What they should be saying is, look we built a big **** off PC. Its all about processing power not photography and I guess thats why it bugs me

Pah minuscule - you should see the "machines" that we have @ Hursley - enough processing power to run a small country

Pah minuscule - you should see the "machines" that we have @ Hursley - enough processing power to run a small country

Yes I know but my point is that the thing to be impressed with is the computer not the photo

Changing topic.. Apparently the sun has given off a huge amount of magnetic plasma, which is heading our way. Solar tsunami Sky news

are calling it in their normal over dramatic manner...

If only the skies would clear we may have a good view of the Northern Lights next couple of nights.

It'll take some beating to make me hate a team more than Armagh tbh.

Or Offaly. Don't know what it is but I can't stand that county.

Believe me I live in Armagh and I actually hate Armagh supporters myself, and the team.

I'm buying furniture. Looking at an end table in Argos. It's cheap enough, but 'walnut effect'.

Does that mean it'll start tearing off the sides after a couple of months? I'm not really in the market for spending hundreds on real wood. I just need somewhere to put my lamp.

Also I've to decide between a 50cm tall lamp and a 61cm lamp. They're the same lamp, but 61cm sounds a bit big for my moderately sized apartment. Is bigger always better?

but its not the worlds largest photo, its not a single image. Its lots and lots of images stitched together. now I don't have a problem with that per se but its just claiming to be something that it isn't. In some respects all I'd need to do that image is a computer with a big enough memory and set of chips to be capable of processing the image.

But if you just want the world's biggest photo, you end up with something like the Legacy Project at Irvine, California. While it may be a bigger single shot picture, it is also unfortunately, a bit shit.

Just made a chicken and leek stroganoff, but instead of picking the cream up out of the fridge I picked up the natural yoghurt...

tastes like absolute crap. Dunno what to eat now.

Heat up some water in a pan scrape the chunky stuff out of the stroganoff (chicken, leek, onions, mushrooms etc) toss it in the water for a minute and then drain the liquid, you should have some not too yogurt'y food, then toss some chicken stock and the cream with it in the pan, salt, pepper, heat and you'll probably have something edible.

At uni once we had nothing to eat, so we decided to make a stir fry with whatever was in the fridge. So we had a turkey satay stick, mushroom and greek honey yoghurt stir fry with egg noodles.

No word of a lie, it was amazing. We had that meal every week after that.

Breakfast bolognese. Bacon, sausage, black pudding, jar of Dolmio and spaghetti. I'm a bit of a low budget Heston Bumenthal when I haven't been shopping for a while.

Didn't Rob post a lot of pictures of the 'low budget' Blumenthal style food? :P

But if you just want the world's biggest photo, you end up with something like the Legacy Project at Irvine, California. While it may be a bigger single shot picture, it is also unfortunately, a bit shit.

So is that one really, its just a picture of a city from a hill, nothing remarkable apart from the level of detail. Its not an image that I can connect with much, it doesn't do much for me as a photo

I read some where once that the verb 'to decimate' came from the Roman army's practice of rounding up all the deserters and killing one in ten as a message to the rest.

'Deci' comes from Roman for ten and all that.

How come the current usage of the word seems to signify way more damage? The news just said that Pakistani farms are decimated after the floods.

I wonder when the meaning of the word changed.

I read some where once that the verb 'to decimate' came from the Roman army's practice of rounding up all the deserters and killing one in ten as a message to the rest.

'Deci' comes from Roman for ten and all that.

How come the current usage of the word seems to signify way more damage? The news just said that Pakistani farms are decimated after the floods.

I wonder when the meaning of the word changed.

You might well have read that on VT. :winkold:

As I mentioned in that thread, it was often when the standard (the Aquila) was lost (or so my Latin masters always taught me).

As for when, that's a task for Vicky Coren, I'd say.

Â