General Chat

Stevo985

I'm also a train fan. Prices over here aren't so bad, but then again there are like 4 main lines or something.

I want to do those big train journeys, like the Orient Express and the Trans-Siberian.

Checked out the price for the Orient...

Paris - Budapest - Bucharest - Istanbul. 6 days. 6 grand!

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Recently took the Japanese Shinkansen (Bullet Train) too, it was great. Why are people trying to block HS2 in this country? We are getting left behind by the rest of the world.

I think the majority of the people against it are doing so because the line runs right passed, or through their property.

Its going to be another expensive overcrowded train but gets you where you want to be about 20 mins quicker. Maybe the billions could be spent on making the exisitng trains less expenive and overcrowded?

High speed trains require high speed lines.

The infrastructure in this country shouldn't be dominated by democracy. Everything should be subject to compulsory purchase orders if it's for the good of country.

It's the little towns and villages that people get sentimental over that are the problem. Our own history holds us back in many respects. I love our history as much as anyone, but if it's the difference between making my commute 20 mins faster everyday or looking at an old beautiful house, I'm sorry house, but you've got to go. My time is worth more to me than any buildings.

You'd happily see peoples houses torn down just so you could get to your destination 20 minutes earlier. :(

Your 20 minutes is worth more to you than a families home so stuff them, they should move. What a sad situation.

As I said, I love history, but I would totally tear down a joint if it was either have or have not. 

There will always be protected buildings and quite right, if it was the last of its kind then I'm all for preserving it.  But, I wouldn't hold back future generations' convenience for the sake of moving 10,000 people.

Would they be happy? Nah, course not "my grandad lived there!" is what you'd get, but do you know what? If everything was like it was, we'd still be living in a huge forest, which the UK was before the earliest people walked across the salt plains/frozen channel. 

Old railway stations have been completely obliterated, and they were absolutely stunning.  Look at photos of Birmingham in the 1800s/ early 1900s, it's all immaculately built buildings, they aren't there any more because we progressed/WW2 happened but now we have wonderful architecture like Selfridges etc.  The only people who are sentimental are the people that are alive to see it being taken away, anyone born after that period won't have any recollection of it, only photos, which is what we have of old stuff.

MOVE ALONG, THE HIGH SPEED RAIL IS COMING THROUGH!

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

So, as a little scenario here, what would you do if a new bus terminus was mooted that required, for instance, Warwick Castle to be demolished?

We still have other castles, dozens upon dozens of them, nobody lives there and we can make a good dvd of it before it goes. Would you be ok with getting rid of Warwick Castle for a new bus station. The new bus station would knock 15 minutes off a number of destinations.

• Like 1

Its not the 'special' buildings that concern me most, it normal people that have no choice in the matter and are being forced to uproot and move just because of this project to get people from Birmingham to London 20minutes quicker.

It really seems like a FIFAesque lack of common sense is involved in this multi billion pound project, which we can be certain will run massively over an ever increasing budget, be late, and unfullfil some of its core objectives.

We are skint and can't even afford to pay NHS staff a 1% payrise yet we're pushing ahead with this, tearing up the countryside, displacing thousands of people just to get down the track a few minutes quicker. Seems bonkers to me.

• Like 1

So, as a little scenario here, what would you do if a new bus terminus was mooted that required, for instance, Warwick Castle to be demolished?

We still have other castles, dozens upon dozens of them, nobody lives there and we can make a good dvd of it before it goes. Would you be ok with getting rid of Warwick Castle for a new bus station. The new bus station would knock 15 minutes off a number of destinations.

That's quite a scenario there :)

I think there is a difference between knocking down some houses and knocking down a medieval castle!

But say, in the absolute worst case scenario, the bus terminal had absolutely no other place to go, the current bus service was an absolute shambles and it was directly affecting hundreds of thousands of people, I'd consider it, yeah.

I know that scenario would never come to fruition though, so don't worry x

It's important to note that castles have been demolished before though :lol: do you miss them?

Yep that I agree with.  That Bournemouth train is the one I get from Brum to Oxford.  Rarely a pleasant experience.

I think the whole infrastructure is rotten in this country,  Trains are amazing in the rest of Western Europe and much more reasonably priced.

Not really. I travelled to work by train for 3 years and it got worse and worse. Now I just use the train if I go to the airport and there is almost a problem every time. We don't know trains over here.

Yep that I agree with. That Bournemouth train is the one I get from Brum to Oxford. Rarely a pleasant experience.

I think the whole infrastructure is rotten in this country, Trains are amazing in the rest of Western Europe and much more reasonably priced.

Not really. I travelled to work by train for 3 years and it got worse and worse. Now I just use the train if I go to the airport and there is almost a problem every time. We don't know trains over here.
Better...training required perhaps?

I think there is a difference between knocking down some houses and knocking down a medieval castle!

But say, in the absolute worst case scenario, the bus terminal had absolutely no other place to go, the current bus service was an absolute shambles and it was directly affecting hundreds of thousands of people, I'd consider it, yeah.

It's important to note that castles have been demolished before though :lol: do you miss them?

What if it was your house? Or your parents' family home?

Honestly wouldn't bother me :) its a house .

So, I'm being a bit slow I know, but you're saying you'd give more thought to whether or not to demolish an empty Castle than evicting the 10,000 people mentioned previously?

For a bus terminus, to save on commuter times. Fascinating, if its not a simple wind up.

Personally, I don't miss the missing castles that much. I'd certainly give them less thought than displacing 10,000 people. 

Must be a good builder to put 10,000 people in the space of Warwick Castle! Why not make another arbitrary number ten times that to make it sound even more sensational!? A billion people displaced for a bus terminal!!!!

It was a pointless question to which I gave a pointless answer.

Â