General Chat

Stevo985

Not sure it's a case of getting a free pass, Brian.

It's more that they (the government) have eventually caved in and given a pardon - something which they have been bare-faced about not doing for the past decade or more (regardless of colour of tie).

My post was ambiguous. I meant the government shouldn't get any credit (any free pass) for something they should have done a long time ago. The fact they've done it now should still raise the point of their dawdling rather than any undeserved kudos.

anyone would think that there was an election coming over the horizon ......

It's a fairly meaningless bit of pandering, imo.

It wouldn't be meaningless if it were a relative of yours.

The correct thing to do and there is no reason not to do it.

I think it would be, regardless of whether I was related to him or not.

A pardon suggests 'letting him off' of a crime. He never should have been considered a criminal in the first place, he did no wrong and the law at the time was absurd. This pardon is rather more about a) a government hoping to placate a distrusting section of society by pandering to a stick they can be beaten with, and B) a state looking to forgive itself of a wrong it's known it's committed for years by making little more than a token gesture to a famous example of a great injustice.

All imo of course.

• Like 3

A pardon doesn't mean that at all.

It means you've been granted mercy for a crime. I.e. you are guilty, but we like you so we'll just let you off this time.

If they were saying 'Sorry, the law was wrong, we completely exonerate you and everyone who ever fell foul of an obscene and stupid law made by fools and offer some recompense to go some way to repay the injustice done to you, and this injustice be struck from the records forever more', it might go some way to being worth anything. Although it's bloody difficult to recompense a dead man.

As it is, this pardon rather more says 'You were a criminal, but you had some stature and did some good things, so we're going to say we'll let you off. But you were still a criminal. We're slightly embarrassed that this was considered a crime and have been for donkeys years so we're going to sweep that guilt we hold for you and thousands of others plight by saying, 60 years after you died, that you were alright so we can feel good about ourselves. And moreover, hopefully dupe some of those lesbians, gays and whatnot to maybe consider ever voting for us now we've acknowledged the stick'.

i got broken in to last night, the word removed did 3 houses on my street, taken some cash, all my PS4 games and some presents, left the big stuff though, i think the other houses have had laptops etc taken

merry **** christmas

Really sorry to hear that mate :(

There really are some utter ball bags out there.

Hope everything gets sorted and you're all okay.

i got broken in to last night, the word removed did 3 houses on my street, taken some cash, all my PS4 games and some presents, left the big stuff though, i think the other houses have had laptops etc taken

merry **** christmas

Sorry to hear that mate.

I hate eBay sometimes.

I bought something on there 10 days ago, never got dispatched. It's not a Christmas present or anything so I wasn't worried about getting it in for tomorrow or anything, but I did expect it to arrive timely, especially as I made payment immediately. A week was long enough imo, but gave 10 days to give some leeway in case there was an issue with the money.

Still no dispatch today so, had enough, contact the seller and, since I'm not too familiar with eBay also end up opening a case for a refund - the item is available elsewhere for similar money so I'm not beholden to getting it from this particular seller and would just like my money back so that's alright.

Chap replies, apparently before the auction finished his grandmother died and he's traveled to her funeral, very sorry for the inconvenience, he's very upset and could I do him a favour, close the case and he guarentees I'll get a refund on the 3rd. Which would make it about 20 days since the auction ended that he's back. At no point has he contacted me that there may be an issue, and I must admit the email doesn't ring very true to me somehow - I am a cynical bastard though. Kinda don't know what to do now. I know i'm not closing the case, though. Do I tell him sorry to hear that, but the case is staying open? Go to eBay and explain that I'm suspicious, as they suggest if you don't get contacted by the seller or aren't satisfied with the response to do so?

Hmm.

Its a shit excuse, dead relative or not, it only takes a moment to contact you, dispatch the goods or refund you. He's wanting 20 days grace because of that? Nah. 

I am also cynical!

Edited by Xela

Ha! Just re-read my reply and it does sound harsh! Here is a more reasoned version:

I tend to agree with you that it does sound fishy but even if that was unfortunately the case, he should have still had the courtesy to contact you, initiate a refund or dispatch the goods. 

There, I think that reads better! 

Ha! Just re-read my reply and it does sound harsh! Here is a more reasoned version:

I tend to agree with you that it does sound fishy but even if that was unfortunately the case, he should have still had the courtesy to contact you, initiate a refund or dispatch the goods. 

There, I think that reads better! 

Yes thats my thinking - he's had the time to respond to my raising an issue pretty much immediately, but wasn't able to contact me to head off any issue before it became one.

He's asked me to close the case which isn't happening as thats my first line of protection. I'm not sure whether to respond and say sorry to hear about his nan, but I'm not going to close the case, leave it as is or go to eBay and raise the issue further. His whole response reads like someone laying it on thick with a made up story, in my view, but again I am one of the least trusting and most cynical people I know.

Â