Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'd agree with that team as Palacios and Bassong are decent prem players but neither are champions league standard imo.

One problem with that is I've seen nothing in Defoe's career that suggests he's suddenly going to morph into an effective Drogba type leader of the line, always works much better in a two upfront.

He'll never be a Drogba type player, but that doesn't mean he can't work up front on his own. He does have good off the ball movement when he's not forced to hang on the defender's shoulder, looking for Crouch's flick on's. And he's deceptively strong for someone of his stature.

I can see him working as sort of a poor man's Eto'o, as long as he gets support from Van der Vaart and Bale. He's certainly the only striker Spurs have who can consistently put the ball in the goal.

Also, I don't think Pavlyuchenko can play the lone role at all. He's played there a couple times already this season and has been dire. It amazes me how often he falls over when the ball is played to him. He also has no pace or strength. He's a very good goal scorer, granted, but he's probably the least suitable candidate Spurs have for the lone striker role.

And yeah, Corluka has played centre back in the past. He played there on Saturday. But I don't think he's ever played well at centre back. Incidentally, he is a rock at centre back on the previous two Football Manager games. Which shows they don't get everything right.

Understatement and a half!

The spurs researcher must be glastons mate, they are vastly over valued on fm IMO of course, i dont think ive played a game on 10 where they havent won the league within 3 years

Poor Woody, one of the best around when he was fit.

Yeah, Gallas has took the last two months of the season the previous two years for Arsenal off so don't expect him to be around for the finish!

I think he was the best English defender of his era personally, superb player and a real loss to England over the years because of his injuries.

Has Glaston not been on since?

Classic head under a rock till you win syndrome again then!

Not that I've seen.

That is nothing though, the season under Ramos when they nearly went down he vanished for about 3 months.

It's classic Spurs fan behaviour. I used to get no end of grief during the mid to late 80's from my Spurs supporting school friends. They went very quiet in the early 90's when we gave them a few 5 goal poundings. One even disowned Spurs and said he no longer supported them after the 5-2 win at WHL. That is why I hate Spurs with such a passion. Most Spurs fans are quiet most of the time, but a slight hint of success and they're the cockiest bunch you'll ever find!

Have you read the posts by Villa fans in this thread? All the reasons the Villa fans cite for hating Spurs fans are constantly on display by the Villa posters in this thread. I'm not saying it's all those posting here, but for every Glaston, there are 20 Villa contributors to this thread that are just as bad and often worse. I stuck up for Glaston a while ago and do feel he's not treated particuarly fairly, but at the same time, I don't think he's done himself any fabours in with his repsonses in the last few months. But it's a bit mental to call Spurs fans "the cockiest bunch you'll ever find" when you post at Villatalk. I'm not saying all Villa fans are cocky, but this certianly isn't the ideal forum in which to accuse another fan base of being so. It' like the KKK accusing the Nazi's of racism.

I can only go on my own memories, and sadly Spurs fans have been the cockiest around in my living memory, maybe it is just the area of the country I live in?

Yes you'll find cocky Villa fans on here, because it is a Villa fans website so strangely enough we'll outnumber Spurs fans on here. You'll also find lots of Villa fans on here who are far from cocky, and talk about Villa's hopes in a very realistic way.

King and Woodgate are two of the best centre halves in the league when fit.

Sadly, those last 2 words make them overall two of the worst in the league.

Spurs would be better off buying 2 centre halves who will play together week in week out and build up an understanding. All the waiting around for King and putting him straight back into the team whenever he's fit does more damage than good IMO.

I am not sure Gallas is particularly injury prone, but he is getting on a bit now and is certainly more brittle than he used to be.

They seem quite attached to the calamitous Dawson so they may aswell play him alongside Bassong and see what happens. Trouble is King is sooo good that you can't really leave him out. It's a tricky one and it probably is to the detriment of their side.

Well if Woodgate wasn't so injury prone he wouldn't have gone to Spurs and they definitely wouldn't have got him for just £7 million. He is when fit an exceptional centre half, but he's only managed over 30 game 3 times in his 13 year career.

The best defences don't necessarily have the best defenders though.. central defence is so much based on communication and understanding that chopping and changing their defence every week means that when King plays he has little teamwork with those around him, and when he doesn't play lesser defenders have the same problem. I admit it's a big call to leave him out, but I really think Spurs would be better off giving Bassong and Dawson a real run in the team as a partnership and having King as back up. They might suffer in the short term, but if Harry really believes in those 2 as centre halves then he has to give them more of a chance.

They seem quite attached to the calamitous Dawson so they may aswell play him alongside Bassong and see what happens. Trouble is King is sooo good that you can't really leave him out. It's a tricky one and it probably is to the detriment of their side.

It is without a doubt a detriment to their side regardless of how good he is when he plays. We've seen ourselves the importance of a partnership in this area of the pitch and we've seen the difference an effective partnership can make to the performances of an individual. We've seen this so many times,

Ugo alongside Southgate

Mellberg alongside Alpay

Davies alongside Laursen

Spurs can't build this relationship between CB's and can't benefit from the influence of one superb CB on a very good one. For instance if Dawson played alongside King or indeed Woodgate for a season he would benefit no end.

I think its come to the stage now that Spurs in order to continue to improve must build a partnership at the back and they simply can't do that with King (or Woodgate) and would be better with lesser players but more stability.

Gomes is going to be back on Saturday.

Good one of the most inconsistant goalkeepers i have ever seen, 9 times out of 10 the guy is a clown but he does have an exceptional game every now and again

I'm not so sure. He was fantastic for the second half of last season and really looks to have settled now. I think he'll be a key player for them.

Gomes is going to be back on Saturday.

Good one of the most inconsistant goalkeepers i have ever seen, 9 times out of 10 the guy is a clown but he does have an exceptional game every now and again

I think you've got mixed up there. 9 out of 10 Gomes is solid in goal, but he can occassionally do something crazy.

Like jump into Stoke players and cry :)

Â