Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Spuds when Jol was in charge.

But ever since 79-year-old-vagina-face took over they've turned into a bunch of arrogant super cockneys.

Until that crook gets rightly put behind bars then no one will like your club, and it's nothing to do with the team or the deluded fan base, it's because you have one of footballs most over-rated and biggest rocket polishers in charge.

To be honest i used to work with a Spurs fan who was a top bloke, used to hate Darren Bent but thought the sun shined out of Defoes arse, which i still dont understand, but hey.

To be honest i used to work with a Spurs fan who was a top bloke, used to hate Darren Bent but thought the sun shined out of Defoes arse, which i still dont understand, but hey.

Spurs fans i know think this, they took offence when i said Bent should go to the world cup ahead of him.

.... given that we only have the Spurs fans who post on this forum to go by, it would appear as though Spurs fans have a very exaggerated sense of their club's size and importance. So you can thank your fellow fans for the attitude you get on here. You're only reaping what they've sewn in the past.

Excuse me?

"Spurs fans have a very exaggerated sense of their club's size and importance" ????

This forum (and his thread in particular) is full of claims by a few Villa fans that Villa is the superior and more successful club. And in pursuit of this silly notion it was Villa fans who introduced the topic of trophies won.

Of course the very same Villa fans don't like it when, in response to these inflated claims, the facts show that since Spurs joined the league structure the trophy count is 16 to 11 in Spurs favour. Not only this, but also the trend of greater Spurs success has generally accelerated as the decades have gone by: in the last 50 years the trophy count stands at 14 to 7 in Spurs favour: double.

Yes, you can point to Victoria era trophies when the league structure was tiny, but that hardly indicates greater success over Spurs when the latter were not able to even compete for league titles etc. You might just as well claim that Mr. Rich earnt more money than Mr. Poor in a given period, when during that period the latter was barred from employment: it's a true claim, but as a point of comparison it collapses into meaningless dust.

In short, it's a few Villa fans who've generally harped on about their club's alleged "superiority" over Spurs - and it's these same Villa fans who get antsy when their self-inflated balloon is soundly popped. Surprise surprise.

"Spurs fans have a very exaggerated sense of their club's size and importance" ????

They do, IMO it results from the overhyped media coverage they get. They are the 3rd biggest side in their city and are quite a distance behind the other two. They remind me of SHA in that thy try to hang on the coat tails of their more successful neighbours (i.e. Arsenal in Spurs case)

This forum (and his thread in particular) is full of claims by a few Villa fans that Villa is the superior and more successful club

It's not a claim it's a fact. Success is measured on trophies won, we have won more. I don't see Italy holding their 1934 world cup in any less regard than their most recent win. The FACT is they are 4 times winners of the trophy.

And in pursuit of this silly notion it was Villa fans who introduced the topic of trophies won.

Of course the notion of applying a time limit on when the trophies were won is not silly. Nor is claiming that Ledley King is on par with Paul McGrath (the latter having won the PFA player of the year, the former sure to do so in the near future)

Of course the very same Villa fans don't like it when, in response to these inflated claims, the facts show that since Spurs joined the league structure the trophy count is 16 to 11 in Spurs favour. Not only this, but also the trend of greater Spurs success has generally accelerated as the decades have gone by: in the last 50 years the trophy count stands at 14 to 7 in Spurs favour: double.

Since Histon joined the football league pyramid they are Cambridgeshire's most successful side. You see my point! In fact they've probably won more trophies than Spurs since their inception. All hail Histon!

Yes, you can point to Victoria era trophies when the league structure was tiny, but that hardly indicates greater success over Spurs when the latter were not able to even compete for league titles etc.

Next you'll claim Chelsea's trophies under Ambrahmovic don't count as he bought them a lot of players. Off you go to Spurstalk where everything is rosy and they like you believe in the tripe you spout. If you took the FACTS and didn't try and manipulate them then you might just see the whole picture. A prime example is we as vila fans have to accept that United are the League Cup winners due to a bent (not that Darren fellow) decision. In the history books they willbe no asterix saying that Phil Dowd is a tool. Get used to the idea that Villa>Spurs and unless you start winning leagues and th big one it'll stay that way!

We'll ignore the all time records and replace them with the Glaston version! (strange he didn't start from 1975 or the premier league era where we've outperformed Spurs in the league and in competitions won) :lol:

Or alternatively the complete picture that overwhelms anything you can say:

86 years out of 128 the superior club!

Won 400% more of the main 2 trophies! (both more recently - Spurs still not come even 2nd in the main 2 for over 45 years!)

Outperformed Spurs in both the main competitions!

Won more major trophies than Spurs!

It's not our fault we were bigger than you when you preferred to be an amateur club! Some things never change :D

Glaston just doesn't get it, we should just ignore him.

His arguements need such specific guidelines and requirements to put Spurs in a better light, which just goes to show how poor they are. Another thing his arguement seems to miss is that in the main competition (the league) we finish higher than them far more often than they finish above us. Higher league finishes, more trophies, regularly winning the main competition, being Champions of Europe, winning the major competition more recently.. not really sure where Spurs compete to be honest.

Another point I'll add is this. Despite having a few Everton posters on here (and them actually having a higher trophy count than Spurs), why is it we never get this on the Everton thread?

Everton don't need to pretend they've got history. We all know Spurs history really starts in 1950 (as they did little before that) but it tails off by about the close of 1974 where we picked our game up and continued being more successful :)

A quick and complete comparison across the 2 main competitions!

Villa:

League: 7 winners and 10 runner ups (17)

European Cup: 1 win.

Years as a top flight club: 110

Everton:

League: 9 winners and 7 runner ups (16)

European Cup: 0 wins.

Years as a top flight club: 118

Tottenham:

League: 2 winners and 4 runner ups (6)

European Cup: 0 wins.

Years as a top flight club: 75

As you can see Villa and Everton have the history to back up the talk and hence there is a mutual respect. Spurs, on the other hand, have a long way to go in the biggies but have possibly done better in some of the smaller more peripheral competitions :)

So going on these trophies won, Portsmouth have won more than us. Sorry I was going from 2008 onwards. Ridiculous argument, we have won more than Spurs...

Villa:

European Cup Winners: 1982

European Super Cup Winners: 1982-83

First Division Champions: 1893-94, 1895-96, 1896-97, 1898-99, 1899-1900, 1909-10,1980-81

FA Cup Winners: 1887, 1895, 1897, 1905, 1913, 1920, 1957

League Cup Winners: 1961, 1975, 1977, 1994, 1996

Spurs:

Football League Champions 1950-51, 1960-61

F.A.Cup Winners 1900-01, 1920-21, 1960-61, 1961-62, 1966-67, 1980-81, 1981-82, 1990-91

Football League Cup Winners 1970-71, 1972-73, 1998-99, 2007-08

European Cup-Winners Cup Winners 1962-63

UEFA Cup Winners 1971-72, 1983-84

bullshit.jpg

Glaston, doesn't the fact that you can only "prove" that Spurs are a bigger club by constantly erasing parts of history to suit your argument tell you something?

Head like a **** orange.

To be honest I have no clue if it's just members of this site or Villa fans in general that have a problem with Spurs

You're like leeds and newcastle, everyone hates you.

This. I know very few "neutrals" who don't hate Spurs, or at the very least Redknapp. He really is a scumbag.

I don't hate Spurs. In fact, I quite like them. I don't really get the hate in this thread (though I have probably contributed in a bit of Glaston teasing, which tends to be more about him than his club) and it seems to be that the anti Spurs sentiment on VT is more about Harry Redknapp not having a sense of humour when Villa fans gave him shit after the corruption allegations on the BBC than anything else.

Maybe its just who you mix with. My work takes me to London on a daily basis and a lot of my colleagues who are based in London are Spurs fans, and they are decent blokes so I base my opinion of Spurs fans from then rather than from the internet. I guess if this thread is your main interaction with Spurs fans then your opinion would be different.

Â