MON stay or go

paddy

MON, stay or go?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. MON, stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go
    • Undecided

Today was the perfect example of why I think we've reached a plateau with O'Neill. Mind-numbingly predictable football, and no plan B to change things round, other than the same tired option of bringing Heskey on after 70 minutes.

Today was the perfect example of why I think we've reached a plateau with O'Neill. Mind-numbingly predictable football, and no plan B to change things round, other than the same tired option of bringing Heskey on after 70 minutes.

Although, it worked to be fair, Heskey did set up the goal. Managers can't really account for individual mistakes like Sidwells today. If it's a good goal, fine, but when a player makes a rash challenge there's nout you can do about it.

TBH Risso, did that change not make an impact? Who set the goal up, O'Neill made a spot on change, we scored. A stupid challenge from Sidwell when Wolves all game didn't look dangerous if were honest, O'Neill can't control an on the spot challenge like that can he?

No, but overall the football was dire today, and even though we now appear to have sorted the defence out, our attacking options are rubbish. A quarter way through the season, and Gabby is our only striker to have scored. Our central midfield is totally ineffectual, and we have zero movement off the ball.

TBH Risso, did that change not make an impact? Who set the goal up, O'Neill made a spot on change, we scored. A stupid challenge from Sidwell when Wolves all game didn't look dangerous if were honest, O'Neill can't control an on the spot challenge like that can he?

No, but overall the football was dire today, and even though we now appear to have sorted the defence out, our attacking options are rubbish. A quarter way through the season, and Gabby is our only striker to have scored. Our central midfield is totally ineffectual, and we have zero movement off the ball.

Football was dire today but the likes of Young, Petrov are more creative players were poor, watch any team, when your two best and more creative influences have poor games and don't get on the ball, the team struggle, just as United do without Rooney, Liverpool without Alonso and Gerrard.

I felt O'Neill's change of tactics today through the game was unusual for him, actually got us in the game and nearly won it for us. As I said in the Sidwell thread - we had a player who was clearly playing below par and for me I don't think it's fair to point fingers at him tactially today. Perhaps question why players who weren't performing were kept on as long as they were.

We aren't good enough for Champions League. Sure, team spirit counts for a lot, but as things stand - looking at the quality of squads, we aren't as good as the top four, and we aren't as good as Spurs or Manchester City and probably level with Everton.

So if we were serious about Europe then we'd be needing one of the top lot to win the cups this year. Luckily, we don't take Europe seriously - so it doesn't really matter.

I am still undecided.

I just think today typifies Martin O'Neills Villa

It reminds me of Doug Ellis

Take one step forward,take one step back.

We are always saying "We just need x and we will be there" - it was the same for 15 yrs under Ellis with BFR GT and JG - now, it's the same only the issue is MON not the chairman.

Everyone to a man knew we needed a creative midfielder and a goalscorer.

He did well with his defensive purchases, there is no argument, but it was bloody obvious we needed a creative player and a goalscorer and we didn't.

And then we debate why we aren't beating teams like Wolves. After over 100 million NET spend, we shouldn't be still asking these questions, he has established us in the top 6 - but for that money, that is the least I'd expect.

I would have more faith if I thought he would address this, but, I just think when he does, there will be something else he doesn't address.

I STILL cannot fathom why we didn't go for Bent - all night I've listened to this and that about Carew and Heskey - well, it was bloody obvious - and I cannot fathom how Martin O'Neill couldn't see the answer was there for 8 million (and thats what he went for, not this stupid 16m rubbish)

Undecided, we will finish somewhere between 3rd and 10th this year - the next 6 weeks will shape Villas season and that will make me decide.

Is this weekly poll really neccessary?

If we'd lost 8 straight games, then maybe the poll would be justified, but seeing it up there, even with it's results firmly with MON, it's embarassing.

After over 100 million NET spend,

----------------------------------------------

That's completly false, It's around £80 Million.

You say you expect us top 6 on the money we have spent, yet Citeh and Spurs have spent more?

You are right City have spent more - and if Man City aren't in the top 4 come May 20th - Hughes will be sacked.

Spend big boys money, you have to get big boys results.

MON has got this reputation outside of Brum that he has worked miracles on little money - how, I don't know.

Anyway, I don't want to get into an argument, as I said, I am undecided, I think come December 1st - we will know a lot more about the future of Villa.

We have had a wierd season - beat Liverpool and Chelsea, lose Blackburn and Wigan - they even themselves out.

Of the other wins, they are wins any top 10 side should expect - Pompey, Blues, Fulham.

Man City - draw - probably what you'd think , Wolves - expect better.

I don't think you can read too much into our start - the next 6 games you can - Everton, Spurs, Bolton away etc...

We'll see come Dec 1st.

And then we debate why we aren't beating teams like Wolves. After over 100 million NET spend, we shouldn't be still asking these questions

How long has fergie been at Man U and how much has he spent? Yet they still lost to burnley and only got a point at home to sunderland thanks to a last minute OG.

I STILL cannot fathom why we didn't go for Bent

Probably because you can't allow thoughts into your head that don't lay all the blame on MON.

he has established us in the top 6 - but for that money, that is the least I'd expect.

Why? What other teams outside the top 4 have shown that all it takes to be a consistent top 6 side is spend money? Spurs? Newcastle? Man city?

Why? What other teams outside the top 4 have shown that all it takes to be a consistent top 6 side is spend money? Spurs? Newcastle? Man city?

Spurs have got closer a couple of times in the last 5 years than we have. I fully expect Man City to achieve it this year. If they don't, they'll be closer than us.

Spurs have got closer a couple of times in the last 5 years than we have. I fully expect Man City to achieve it this year. If they don't, they'll be closer than us.

Spurs and Man City will be up there this year but are they consistent top 6 sides? Spurs have spent loads over the years and have only finished in the top 6 twice and man city have spent ridiculous amounts over the last 2 seasons and haven't managed it.

I don't understand the idea that all it takes is to spend money and therefore being a consistent top 6 side is the least we should expect. Other teams haven't managed it when spending loads of cash so i'm not sure why it's deemed the minimum requirement for MON.

We've spent quite a lot of money on a lot of players. The money has gone into completely rebuilding our squad compared to what it was when MON got here. Both Man City and Spurs are real threats to any team that wants to finish in the top 6. As are Everton, and Sunderland certainly is an outsider as well.

You neglect to mention Everton, who have been a regular top 6 side, despite not spending as much as we have.

Which further proves the point that it doesn't just take spending loads of money.

Surely the main reason that 6th should be a given, is that O'Neill is a brilliant manager (according to you). if he's that good, why should we accept anything left. Newcastle haven't achieved anything because they're owned by an idiot, who has appointed a succession of divs to manage the team.