MON stay or go

paddy

MON, stay or go?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. MON, stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go
    • Undecided

By that reckoning, Lescott should have stayed at Everton this year, and Adebayor at Arsenal.

And Barry at Villa.

One thing that I still don't get is why we didn't go all out for Warnock last summer if he was the left-back that MON really wanted. Did it really need the Shorey experiment?

I'm guessing when Ince came in, he basically said no key players are for sale, another reason why Roque Santa Cruz didn't go, so I'm guessing we were given a pretty firm no.

And then said er.....ok, apart from Friedel and Bentley.

Allardyce didn't want him to go but as soon as he found out we were interested Warnock appeared to go all 'Dwight Yorke' in his attitude. Could just as easily happened last season.

Finishing sixth, with more points, having challanged for fourth place for most of the season was an improvement on the previous season. Not a massive improvement granted but still an improvement.

Especially as our previous top six place was, according to many, only because we had virtually no injuries that season. Last season we had serious injuries to half our preferred defence and our top striker out for a couple of months. So, yes, it was an overall improvement.

No it wasn't. You don't receive any more points, money or anything else tangible for any of the things you mention. 6th is 6th.

One of the things I mentioned was that we got more points last season than the previous season. That is quite tangible.

By that reckoning, Lescott should have stayed at Everton this year, and Adebayor at Arsenal.

And Barry at Villa.

One thing that I still don't get is why we didn't go all out for Warnock last summer if he was the left-back that MON really wanted. Did it really need the Shorey experiment?

I'm guessing when Ince came in, he basically said no key players are for sale, another reason why Roque Santa Cruz didn't go, so I'm guessing we were given a pretty firm no.

And then said er.....ok, apart from Friedel and Bentley.

Allardyce didn't want him to go but as soon as he found out we were interested Warnock appeared to go all 'Dwight Yorke' in his attitude. Could just as easily happened last season.

Well who knows, perhaps Mon weren't willing to go for the price of Warnock like Tottenham were Bentley, if Bentley was £15 Million, I'm sure they might of asked of more than what we payed this summer...I think O'Neill has values of players but won't go above a certain price at times, perhaps Warnock was over what he felt? I mean it took us a while this summer to agree a fee and the fee this year was £6-8 Million.

Descended into the usual drivel.

I was simply saying that it is entirely possible that it was harder to attract players of a certain quality earlier than it is now. Yes it is also possible that MON could have got player 'x' but thought player 'y' was better, and has now moved on.

Outside of that there is no more point in me trying to get you to see what is so good about MON than there is you trying the opposite.

I have no desire to fathom anyone who judges everything by League position alone. It is a perfectly acceptable point of view which I completely disagree with. In my view this Club is so obviously improving year on year, 4 seasons running as we speak, which far betters anything since possibly 1976 through to 1982. Regardless of the indisputable fact that 6th is 6th !

It seems some Villlatalk posters are seriously in need of a reality check.

It does amaze me, that even now, after undoubted quality additions and great results, people still want him out.

I have never wanted him out, even during the bad run of last season, although i did legitmately question 1 or 2 things he was doing.

But he's been spot on again this season IMO.

A great, great manager

stay 100%

If a manager in any other walk of life had taken four years to get the correct staff for one part of his department and spent millions on doing it he would have been given the sack long ago!!

This is just rubbish really, MON has had 3 summer transfer windows at aston villa and after finishing 11th i'm pretty sure players weren't falling over themselves to join aston villa. The players he has signed however ended up helping us finish 6th place, how do you explain that if our defence was as poor as you claim it was? Is the premier league that weak that any team even with a shit defence can finish in the top 6 and push for a top 4 place most of the season?

So Warnock wouldn't have signed for us, but was happy to join Blackburn. Erm, OK then.

When Warnock signed for blackburn he had left liverpool with not much of a reputation, i doubt most managers were looking at warnock being a quality left back. Regular first team football has given warnock the chance to show what he can do.

Would ronaldo not have joined madrid instead of man u all those years ago and for a lot less money? Could Man U not have signed Valencia before he went to wigan? Why didn't barcelona sign ronaldinho before he went to PSV?

It does amaze me, that even now, after undoubted quality additions and great results, people still want him out.

Look at the people who want him out, it's the same people who have done nothing but moan about him for years regardless of results or league position.

Finishing sixth, with more points, having challanged for fourth place for most of the season was an improvement on the previous season. Not a massive improvement granted but still an improvement.

Especially as our previous top six place was, according to many, only because we had virtually no injuries that season. Last season we had serious injuries to half our preferred defence and our top striker out for a couple of months. So, yes, it was an overall improvement.

No it wasn't. You don't receive any more points, money or anything else tangible for any of the things you mention. 6th is 6th.

So If a team finishes 5th with 58 points in one season, while 4th have 72 points.

Then the next season, 4th have 75 points, and you finish 5th again but this time with 73 points. There is no improvement? That is what your saying isn't it?

I could turn that round and ask you if finishing 17th one year with 36 points, then finishing on 18th with 38 points the next and being relegated would be an improvement? The only thing points are there for is to decide the final league table. If Chelsea get less points than last year, but win the league, they'll have improved, end of story.

The "MON go" side are up to 10 now.

One more & they could maybe form a football team and put their great knowledge and wisdom about tactics/formations etc. into actual practice.

They can probably play with 10 to be fair, they are that good

I could turn that round and ask you if finishing 17th one year with 36 points, then finishing on 18th with 38 points the next and being relegated would be an improvement?

And I could turn that around and say that it would mean you have improved but unfortunatly so have the other teams

End of the day, at the start of the season how many people realistically expected a top 4 challenge given we'd just lost Laursen and Barry, PB as an example of a good contributor to this site didn't, I didn't.

I would've been happy with 7th especially after the Wigan debacle.

So far the only black mark against MON this season is the europa league exit, we're still in the carling cup and we're nicely placed in the league and the reshaping of the team has been very good tbf to him so far so I'm still happy to give him this season and the start of next before giving a proper assessment.

The "MON go" side are up to 10 now.

One more & they could maybe form a football team and put their great knowledge and wisdom about tactics/formations etc. into actual practice.

Ah, so, now we have the great MON who is a master tactician. Continually playing players out of position, not knowing when his centre midfield is knackered and refusing to substitute them! Purchasing a striker who is habitually scoreless when Gabby was knackered, Carew was injured when we needed the exact oposite! Paid 8.5m for a midfielder and generally refuses to play him, even when we have injuries, or our other central midfielders are playing shite! Then there's Europe, or should i say, was Europe :x Now thats what i call a manager full of knowledge and wisdom!