MON stay or go

paddy

MON, stay or go?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. MON, stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go
    • Undecided

I don't think you see where we came from though Sting, before MON we were relegation candidates he has had to completely overhaul a whole squad, it is plain for anyone to see this would take time.

In the space of 4 years while building the squad we have finished 6th twice maybe now we are back amongst the big boys as it were, maybe we can start to look for that real quality signing, because they certainly would not have joined us 2-3 years ago.

I may be wrong but I think 93% of people wanting him to stay, says it might well be your narrow mindedness holding you back from something, which a LOT of us are enjoying.

He's also had to overhaul some of his own squad, due to a large proportion of the players he's bought being not good enough. The Chelsea match was excellent of course, but then so were the games against Arsenal last season, and we still fell short in the final analysis. It was the defence that cost us last year, I think it'll be the attack that puts the mockers on things this year.

If you think about it seriously you will understand why he has had to ship some out that he bought.

A couple of posts on this page have hit the nail on the head.

We fell short in your final analysis we actually exceeded my expectations and from seeing the poll a lot of others feel the same.

I don't know but I think he had to build incrementally. Unless we'd paid silly money and wages I don't think we'd have attracted Downing, Dunne, and Warnock, for example, in his first year or two. We are surely becoming a more appealing club to join ?

So Warnock wouldn't have signed for us, but was happy to join Blackburn. Erm, OK then.

I don't know but I think he had to build incrementally. Unless we'd paid silly money and wages I don't think we'd have attracted Downing, Dunne, and Warnock, for example, in his first year or two. We are surely becoming a more appealing club to join ?

So Warnock wouldn't have signed for us, but was happy to join Blackburn. Erm, OK then.

Rovers finished above us the summer Warnock signed for them. We also finished 16th, while Blackburn finished 6th, the year before that. So they were possibly seen as the better option then to be fair.

Stay.

'Sting', MON has only been at the club a little over three years. Blaming him for not improving the squad during the 9/10 months he was unemployed seems a bit harsh. I see not signing Bent has become the new criticism of his summer dealings, at least the form of Dunne and Collins has stopped you going on about how he should have signed Upson and Hangeland!

Seemed to have stirred a hornet's nest here. I make no apologies for my opinion on O'Neill. If a manager in any other walk of life had taken four years to get the correct staff for one part of his department and spent millions on doing it, he would have been given the sack long ago!

How has it taken MON four years to build a solid defence, considering that he joined August 4th 2006.

In the three seasons under his stewardship he has totally rebuilt the side and also managed to progress each season rather than having a period of stagnation while rebuilding. That, in my opinion, deserves recognition.

Warnock signed in January.

I fail to see how this changes the fact that Rovers finished higher the previous 2 years. + what POB says.

They didn't though. I think you need to be checking your facts a bit more carefully. Warnock signed in Jan in the 06/06 season. The season before that, Blackburn finished higher, the season before that, we did.

Anyway, are you really telling me that a footballer would have seen Villa, newly owned by a billionaire and managed by O'Neill as a worse option than Blackburn, just because we finished lower than them under a different manager and chairman? By that reckoning, Lescott should have stayed at Everton this year, and Adebayor at Arsenal.

In the three seasons under his stewardship he has totally rebuilt the side and also managed to progress each season rather than having a period of stagnation while rebuilding. That, in my opinion, deserves recognition.

Finishing 6th isn't much of an improvement on finishing 6th though is it?

Edit Going to bed can't be arsed

Finishing sixth, with more points, having challanged for fourth place for most of the season was an improvement on the previous season. Not a massive improvement granted but still an improvement.

Especially as our previous top six place was, according to many, only because we had virtually no injuries that season. Last season we had serious injuries to half our preferred defence and our top striker out for a couple of months. So, yes, it was an overall improvement.

By that reckoning, Lescott should have stayed at Everton this year, and Adebayor at Arsenal.

And Barry at Villa.

One thing that I still don't get is why we didn't go all out for Warnock last summer if he was the left-back that MON really wanted. Did it really need the Shorey experiment?

Finishing sixth, with more points, having challanged for fourth place for most of the season was an improvement on the previous season. Not a massive improvement granted but still an improvement.

Especially as our previous top six place was, according to many, only because we had virtually no injuries that season. Last season we had serious injuries to half our preferred defence and our top striker out for a couple of months. So, yes, it was an overall improvement.

No it wasn't. You don't receive any more points, money or anything else tangible for any of the things you mention. 6th is 6th.

By that reckoning, Lescott should have stayed at Everton this year, and Adebayor at Arsenal.

And Barry at Villa.

One thing that I still don't get is why we didn't go all out for Warnock last summer if he was the left-back that MON really wanted. Did it really need the Shorey experiment?

I'm guessing when Ince came in, he basically said no key players are for sale, another reason why Roque Santa Cruz didn't go, so I'm guessing we were given a pretty firm no.

As for Risso, just because we finished in the same position doesn't mean it's not improvement. We gave 4th a far better challenge than we did in the 07-08 season, and finished with more points in the season and also had some good European nights like Ajax :)

Warnock signed in January.

I fail to see how this changes the fact that Rovers finished higher the previous 2 years. + what POB says.

They didn't though. I think you need to be checking your facts a bit more carefully. Warnock signed in Jan in the 06/06 season. The season before that, Blackburn finished higher, the season before that, we did.

Anyway, are you really telling me that a footballer would have seen Villa, newly owned by a billionaire and managed by O'Neill as a worse option than Blackburn, just because we finished lower than them under a different manager and chairman? By that reckoning, Lescott should have stayed at Everton this year, and Adebayor at Arsenal.

My apologies, I thought you were talking about the Janury after, not before. But if anything it makes it worse, Blackburn qualified for Europe the season before, we finished 16th. So if anything, it solidifies my point more than my original thoughts did.

Well it depends on the player doesn't it. We wouldn't know what Warnock's like as a person, what if he pulled an Unsworth? What if he wanted to stay closer to home? What if he wanted to play for a team in Europe?

No it wasn't. You don't receive any more points, money or anything else tangible for any of the things you mention. 6th is 6th.

So If a team finishes 5th with 58 points in one season, while 4th have 72 points.

Then the next season, 4th have 75 points, and you finish 5th again but this time with 73 points. There is no improvement? That is what your saying isn't it?