O'Neill - stay or go, the update

Risso

Should O'Neill stay or go?  

535 members have voted

1. 1. Should O'Neill stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

MON is doing OK. It's amazing how knee-jerk and impatient this site has become recently. I think some people are suffering from raised expectations, Premiership fans' disease.

That said, he's brought alot of criticism on himself. The last-minute signings thing is really old at this point. It is pretty obvious the squad is worse at the moment than it was at the end of last season. It is pretty obvious that Heskey is not the world's greatest striker the way MON deploys him. It's obvious to me at least that 4-5-1 is the best system with our current group of players.

But armchair manager is an easy job. And the season rarely ends the way it looks in August...

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if we've ever had a manager that the fans didn't ultimately want sacked?

From recent memory:

possibly Ron Saunders, GT MKI?

Both left of their own volition, neither were sacked, and the fans wanted neither sacked.

EDIT:

to add to that, the managers the fans don't wnat sacked are the ones that are getting results, winning games.

Both of these left with Villa "on the up" and doing well at that time.

Nobody wanted MON sacked prior to March/April onwards this year. That was becuase he was doing really well.

we have now had a really bad period, and so more and more fans want him gone. Should he turn it around and start getting results again, so his popularity will turn again too.

Game, not games. You can't use the plural. 29% of the fans want MON out after one game.

And you can't use the end of last year as reasoning either, because we all looked at the table at the end of the season and were happy with our position, and that takes into account the whole season not just the bits we want to remember to illustrate our point. Last year is gone. Over. If you want to get your red pens and clipboards out and start shouting 'WRONG', then at least be consistent.

In fact, why stop at one game, why not ask for MON's head after the first half of the first game, or after the first bad pass?

I will entertain this discussion at Christmas, not before. I've never known such impatient whiners in my life.

EDIT.

OK... 25%

Game, not games. You can't use the plural. 29% of the fans want MON out after one game.

And you can't use the end of last year as reasoning either, because we all looked at the table at the end of the season and were happy with our position, and that takes into account the whole season not just the bits we want to remember to illustrate our point. Last year is gone. Over. If you want to get your red pens and clipboards out and start shouting 'WRONG', then at least be consistent.

In fact, why stop at one game, why not ask for MON's head after the first half of the first game, or after the first bad pass?

I will entertain this discussion at Christmas, not before. I've never known such impatient whiners in my life.

EDIT.

OK... 25%

Yep.It is great how people simply forget being in the top 4 for most of the season and just pick the last bit of the season to harp on about.

It is actually quite mental.

If we lost MON at this point now, another manager would have a week to build his own team. Every manager has their own style, and they want players who will fit that style. So unless we found a manager who could automatically use these players for his own style, we'd be going backwards.

If MON went now, we'd finish a lot lower than we will with MON in charge. The time to change managers is the summer (unless you're relegation threatened and need a quick fix to get through the season).

I say, judge MON on this season. We're in Europe, we've had consecutive top-six finishes, we're a good club. Let's see whether MON can keep that up, and maybe even go beyond that, before calling for his head.

The phrase 'we've only won twice in 17 games' is bringing a wry smile from my lips when I hear it now. Even if we go on a great run and win our next four games it will be only five games in 21 games. The season has restarted, time to forget about last seasons statistics.

This is a joke.

We've needed a top centre half all summer, ideally 2, but we NEEDED one for the team, and one for the squad. We have none so far.

Liverpool have now needed one for about 3 days and have agreed a fee for a 30 year old experienced international for a fairly small £2m. Why does O'Neill insist on buying English!? They are more expensive and much harder to get because all the English players good enough for us are first choice elsewhere and cost about 5 times as much as their foreign counterparts. I don't care where players are from, but it is clear as day that English players are harder to get.

This is pissing me off a lot now.

Get some players in Martin! No one cares what country they are from, only how good they are!

The phrase 'we've only won twice in 17 games' is bringing a wry smile from my lips when I hear it now. Even if we go on a great run and win our next four games it will be only five games in 21 games. The season has restarted, time to forget about last seasons statistics.

When the bad run comes to an end, I promise to stop going on about it. I just don't see it ending any time soon with THAT defence.

When the bad run comes to an end, I promise to stop going on about it. I just don't see it ending any time soon with THAT defence.

When will you consider that it has ended?

I get a feeling this is never going to end. NURSE! :winkold:

This is a joke.

We've needed a top centre half all summer, ideally 2, but we NEEDED one for the team, and one for the squad. We have none so far.

Liverpool have now needed one for about 3 days and have agreed a fee for a 30 year old experienced international for a fairly small £2m. Why does O'Neill insist on buying English!? They are more expensive and much harder to get because all the English players good enough for us are first choice elsewhere and cost about 5 times as much as their foreign counterparts. I don't care where players are from, but it is clear as day that English players are harder to get.

This is pissing me off a lot now.

Get some players in Martin! No one cares what country they are from, only how good they are!

Because MON's knowledge of abroad is utter shit apart from Scotland or England.

I dont know what our scouts do i really dont they should be abroad looking.

Blackburn sign Salgado (Experience and a good player)

Liverpool sorted theirs out and its took MON nearly all summer to find one.

MON is so clueless when it comes to transfers he really is.

I think buying Davies for 10m sums MON up to a T. and then Cuellar for what 7m ? 17m on that partnership ?

Crazy money has been blown on this so called English talent that we have but most of them dont even cut it.

You could probably get better for less abroad for half the price.

I cant believe Hull bid 14m for Negredo :lol: at least they are willing to splash whilst we nickle and dime around our country for the overpriced english

Rant over !

It ended towards the end of last season.

The only problem is we've just started another one ..... :lol: :winkold:

MON is doing OK. It's amazing how knee-jerk and impatient this site has become recently. I think some people are suffering from raised expectations, Premiership fans' disease.

My expectations are simple.

I don't expect to win anything and I don't expect us to finish in the top 4, indeed the Chumps League is of zero interest to me.

I don't even expect us to win every game against apparently inferior opposition.

I just expect to watch a side that entertains, looks organised and has a good go at whatever opposition arrives at Villa Park.

If you take into consideration how many points were won away from home last season our VP form was pretty bad all last season.

And that's what I pay my money for. If they win every home game and lose every away game in a season, Small Heath excepted, that's fine by me.

No one could really demand more than top 6 and european qualification last season, we were 1 point from being the best of the rest.

Yes we went on a terrible run and things were poor but at the end of the day we finished with a good points total, a decent league position and european qualification.

You can't possibly sack the manager for meeting his target as i'm sure Randy would not have expected more at this stage.

I agree that this is a big season for him and if he fails this year it's all down to him due to his transfer dealing this summer.

There is no doubt though that the man deserves a chance to continue trying to progress. We may not agree with the way he does things but if they get results then who cares, if it doesn't work then we need to look for a manager who might do things differently.

I am starting to worry, but he is a top man and we would get no-one even close to his calibre. I think we need to manage our own expectation and take pride in the club conducting transfers properly (unlike Man Shitty).

Liverpool have now needed one for about 3 days and have agreed a fee for a 30 year old experienced international for a fairly small £2m.

We signed a highly experienced French right back for a mere £2.5m, but many people on this site seem to think its the worst thing ever and proof that MON is mad or having a breakdown, or something...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Liverpool have now needed one for about 3 days and have agreed a fee for a 30 year old experienced international for a fairly small £2m.

We signed a highly experienced French right back for a mere £2.5m, but many people on this site seem to think its the worst thing ever and poor that MON is mad or having a breakdown, or something...

He's from Senegal isn't he?

We signed a highly experienced French right back for a mere £2.5m, but many people on this site seem to think its the worst thing ever and poor that MON is mad or having a breakdown, or something...

Yup. Twas a french colony though.

Yup. Twas a french colony though.

So does that mean i'm Anglo-Spanish since my country used to be colonised by both?! :shock:

:lol:

Â