535 members have voted

1. 1. Should O'Neill stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And a russain billionaire who paid for a squad of world class players.

June 2003 he became the owner

You could argue that pre-Roman Chelsea were similar to how we are now in terms of finance. They had a reasonably wealthy backer in Mathew Harding - and the monies he left to the club after he died. They did OK in cup competitions - a lot better than we have done and they were improving their ground bit by bit

And a russain billionaire who paid for a squad of world class players.

June 2003 he became the owner

You could argue that pre-Roman Chelsea were similar to how we are now in terms of finance. They had a reasonably wealthy backer in Mathew Harding - and the monies he left to the club after he died. They did OK in cup competitions - a lot better than we have done and they were improving their ground bit by bit

I know,Mourhinho would not of went there if abramovich wasn`t there.

And did they not nearly go bust before the russain?

Chelsea were a bigger club than us before abramovich aswell.

Point was villa fans want more than the talent we can attract can give them,They think we are a bigger club than we are because we won the european cup all those years ago.

Which is why even if o`neill went it would be the same with the next manager.

i hoenstly don't think its beacuse we havent won? anything under MON that is irritating the fans, is the contstant small squad and medicore transfer market action. You can't keep saying small squad! small squad! and then do what he has done this summer! Apalling!

If there was one defining moment that has put a minority of fans against MON its the 'sending the kids to moscow' incident.

I honestly think we would of won that game with the full team, the team would have got back to winning ways, confidence back up, and we would of put up a much better effort in both uefa cup and champs league place fight! We would have attracted more quality, barry would of stayed etc etc! Not to mention no-one(in the football world) likes managers sacrificing cups for a league place?

This really has been one of the worst management decisions I have ever seen! It has truly sent Villa on a downward spiral in terms of confidence and this has changed the ambition/procedures (money spent on players) of the way the club and the way it is being run!

Personally I still think keep MON as we wouldnt get better, but hes got a lot of work to put this clubs ambition back up just to where it was last year. It could take a year or so to even do that!

Whether the fans can be pateint enough to wait that long, who knows? I think Randy will have though.

BUT FOR ME!!!!! POOR, POOR DECISIONS!

Chelsea would have become the next Leeds if Abramovich did not buy them. Chelsea spent alot of money under Ken Bates to win those FA cups, but I would still not regard them as being a large club at that time. The "much bigger following" is that now or before the money Abramovich spent? and how do you gauge the larger following, attendances?.

If there was one defining moment that has put a minority of fans against MON its the 'sending the kids to moscow' incident.

I honestly think we would of won that game with the full team,

We played the full team in the first leg at home and lost, stands to reason we would have with the same team away as well, especially in Moscow.

Chelsea would have become the next Leeds if Abramovich did not buy them. Chelsea spent alot of money under Ken Bates to win those FA cups, but I would still not regard them as being a large club at that time. The "much bigger following" is that now or before the money Abramovich spent? and how do you gauge the larger following, attendances?.

No, by what i see and know. I live in Ireland, and i can remember when i was younger being Far more Chelsea fans than Villa fans. It has always been the case. Im not saying we are a small club, far from it, but in terms of following and revenue through following we are a long way of the top london clubs and have been for some time.

We played the full team in the first leg at home and lost, stands to reason we would have with the same team away as well, especially in Moscow.

Just one problem with that argument, we actually drew the home leg.

MON should be given some time, I think he has achieved his main objective when he first came to club and that was to secure european football consistantly, and he has done that two seasons in a row, albeit last season should have seen us qualifying for the Champions League but thats gone now and we move on.

My biggest worry is his ability in the transfer market, I don't mind him going for young English talent like A.Young, Milner, Delph etc I believe we will gain alot from them but I don't think we should limit ourselves to the British market, I think we should look abroad sometimes just to see whats out there, for instance Spurs signed Berbatov for 10 million plus the same amount Curtis Davies cost us. Some of his signings are questionable such as Shorey, Sidwell and Cuellar etc who have yet to prove their transfer fees.

We've also lost two good players in Barry and Laursen and haven't replaced them to date, now we are hearing from MON that "Its going to difficult to replace them" sounds worrying to me at this stage in MON's career, IMO he should have the know how to replace quality players at this stage of his career and he has had a fair amount of time to replace Barry and Laursen. He will need to improve in the transfer market dramatically if we want to progress further than 6th in the future IMO.

The other thing that concerns me is his style of football, I think this is all he knows and has played this style at every club he's managed, This style of football won't get us into the top 4 alone, you need variation to be a Champion League team and that means you need a better quality of player, which goes hand in hand with the transfer market in that respect, so I am starting to feel MON is out his depth, I don't think he is going to change his approach to football management and that will be his downfall in the end IMO.

I could be wrong and I hope I am, but I just think it will end in disappointment.

Just one problem with that argument, we actually drew the home leg

Sorry about that. The argument still stands though if we could only draw at home then how would we have won away? (ignoring our superb away form up to that point in the season)

I honestly think we would of won that game with the full team,

we actually drew 1-1 in the home leg didnt we? Anyway like MON says himself if he had played the first team in the 2nd leg and then we surrendered at 2 goal lead at home to stoke the game after, everyone would of been saying he should of played the kids in the 2nd leg.

Sorry about that. The argument still stands though if we could only draw at home then how would we have won away?

The argument doesn't stand at all, football doesn't work like that does it? We'd have won away by scoring more goals against them.

Just to totally stamp on the corpse of your argument:

Arsenal home - drew. Arsenal away - win

Sorry about that. The argument still stands though if we could only draw at home then how would we have won away?

The argument doesn't stand at all, football doesn't work like that does it? We'd have won away by scoring more goals against them.

And to take that corpse and bury it once and for all: May I also throw in the fact that we were stronger away from home last season than at home.

And to take that corpse and bury it once and for all: May I also throw in the fact that we were stronger away from home last season than at home.

Think it was the manner in which they played at villa park that was the real concern and the distance and conditions of the weather and the pitch in Moscow. Its was what I would say a considered risk (or gamble) ultimately the decision was wrong though and as Risso pointed out football does not always work that way (reference home and away) and thank god for that. UTV

I think this thread's ridiculous. Even someone like me who's very sceptical over O'Neill's tactics, transfer policy of only buying either English players or players playing in England would be a million miles from wanting him out. Yes we've shown very poor form through the back end of last season and the first game of this, but shouldn't a man be given a full season to 'do his worst', which over the last two years have been sixth. I don't see how a thread like this is going to help the fans' harmony and supporting of the club and players on matchdays. I'd be ashamed to be one of the 26% voting for him out, and I doubt any of these people could name a realistic suitable replacement.

I wonder if we've ever had a manager that the fans didn't ultimately want sacked?

I don't want MON to be sacked, I want him to acknowledge the fact that he is not capable of doing the job and resign.

Sometimes people take on more than they have the capacity to execute. Nothing wrong with that as everyone wants to 'get on', but if they find themselves drowning they should get out.

Â