O'Neill - stay or go, the update

Risso

Should O'Neill stay or go?  

535 members have voted

1. 1. Should O'Neill stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

So we do sell Young for 25m (and personally - I'd snap their hand off before they could get the credit card out the wallet) , and find a "Palacios , or a Valencia , or a Rodageligigiligo (just for DDID) like that mighty club Wigan have, for a million or less

Would you complain ?

Yes, because what's the point in selling Ashley Young in that scenario?

Wigan have a fantastic scouting network, totally agree with you there. If we could supplement our strong English core with the likes that you have just mentioned we'd be in wonderful shape.

the only English youngster I'd be unhappy to let go is Milner (and I am not even going to credit MON with that one)

Why on earth not?

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that isn't the spine - that is the "English players", so reasoning again.

And we really have to go well into gagaland here coz it would have to rely on is thinking MON could actually spot a player abroad.

So we do sell Young for 25m (and personally - I'd snap their hand off before they could get the credit card out the wallet) , and find a "Palacios , or a Valencia , or a Rodageligigiligo (just for DDID) like that mighty club Wigan have, for a million or less

Would you complain ?

I think the last few weeks (Holland and Wigan) have proved Young has been found out. Totally one footed, just dont allow him on his right, and you've got him.

At this moment, and I have changed my mind because I didnt like him at first. the only English youngster I'd be unhappy to let go is Milner (and I am not even going to credit MON with that one)

Well funnily enough, my original post, which you have now quoted twice, referred to the 'young English spine' so yes I am obviously going to refer to English players, "reasoning"?

As for the rest of your post, I'm sorry but I don't really understand it, except to saythat if you would really be keen to see Young leave then it is you who is in "gagaland". However, you did remind me of another young English player who would most likely follow MON out the door - Milner. I can't believe I forgot about Milner as he is my favourite player. If Milner were to have a couple of bad performances though, I am positive I could list the 'fans' on here who would be calling him shit and a waste of money.....actually I think I can recall some people saying that already. So I repeat - were MON to leave, it would not suprise me in the slightest if Young, Gabby, Milner and Davies were to follow him out.

For obvious reasons , MON didnt spot his potential - he was here 1 month before MON arrived, his loan finished, we tried to buy him, he stood in the car park, it was called off.

We bought him next chance.

No one will ever know, but I suspect Milner would have been a Villa player no matter who had took over 3 yrs ago.

Regarding Young, (and Gabby to a certain extent but I think Gabby has more to learn) I am just saying the guy is totally over-rated and personally I wouldnt be bothered if he left.

If we had sold him a month ago like the rumours suggested, we probably wouldnt be having all these arguments coz we would have had the money to buy VDV and Schniejder.

However, and this isnt meant as inflammatory , just my view, I think if we had 30m to spend, instead of buying those two players, he'd still spend it on the likes of Beye and Dunne.

I've totally lost confidence in the guy - I cant help that !

EDIT Also have you made that example from seeing him in ONE game on MOTD?

Well Dappa i did say "What looks to be" and also noted that Wolves as a whole played some good stuff and he was pulling the strings, making good shots, incisive passes and good from dead ball situations. He was also good today. I also admitted that "I didnt know anything about him".

I watched both matches.

I also said it was all IMO in my original post so it could all go tits up and he could end up doing a Djemba Djemba but by alot of accounts, including pundits and people from his homeland as well as his team he looks to be a very good player and a steal.

He also just represents one example of a host of players in a similar mold (not extremely known, hidden gems, diamonds in the rough etc.) which we failed to go for and turned out to be awsome.

Fair enough, that's your opinion, I will never agree with it but you are of course more than welcome to it. I look forward to Ashley young proving you wrong this season.

EDIT - this was meant in response to Paul or Donya's post about Ashley Young.

For obvious reasons , MON didnt spot his potential - he was here 1 month before MON arrived, his loan finished, we tried to buy him, he stood in the car park, it was called off.

We bought him next chance.

No one will ever know, but I suspect Milner would have been a Villa player no matter who had took over 3 yrs ago.

So he didn't spot his potential despite trying to buy him.

Oh no wait, he didn't try to buy him but Randy Lerner did?

I'm sorry mate, that makes no sense to me at all.

Yes it does.

Milner was virtually a Villa player before he arrived.

As I said, all speculation as no one will ever know, but when it was DOL and Ellis, I somehow doubt that they sent back Milner to Newcastle on June 1st, then did absolutely sod all for 3 months, then suddenly Randy and MON came and said "We will buy Milner"

I would have thought dialogue was taking place most the summer, and just as it was done, it collapsed.

Then we just bought him when we had the chance.

You cant claim O'Neill spotted the talent in Milner when he played for the club for a year before he came.

By the way, on a similar note, people say he found Petrov so how can he not look at the game abroad etc... Petrov was actually signed by John Barnes, so thats another myth busted !

What I will predict about MON is this by the way.

Liverpool - forget it - its just a matter of how many

Fulham - could be his saving grace, but could be the grim reaper

THEN

If we lose to the Blues, you think this week has been bad. If we lose to them and have 1 or god forbid 0 points - that will be it.

Blues could be straw....

You cant claim O'Neill spotted the talent in Milner when he played for the club for a year before he came.

Oh yes I can, because Martin O'Neill wasn't at the club in that year.

He liked him that much he actually did sign him in the end didn't he? For £12m if I recall. That's a whole lot of likeadge right there.

If we lose to the Blues, you think this week has been bad. If we lose to them and have 1 or god forbid 0 points - that will be it.

Blues could be straw....

First thing you've said in a while that I agree with. The blues match will be massive. Even I may be willing to revise my opinion (to an extent) if we don't turn up to that match.

It's easy to say your argumet with the line it's all speculation so no one knows.

What we do know is Mon wanted milner, the deal didn't go through and we signed him 2 years later. Do you not think in those 2 years that the manager might have watched him and liked him considering he made him our record signing?

People are really misinterpreting the "I didn't realise we used less players than anyone else" quote. What he is saying is not that he doesn't know how small the Villa squad is, he is just surprised that no other squad was as small. People are making it seem like he didn't know he had a small squad, of course he did. He's just saying he didn't know how many players Stoke, Hull, Bolton, etc. used. I don't think it really matters if MON knows how many different players Hull used last season either, christ.

MON obviously wanted Milner or he wouldn't have fended off interest from Liverpool and shelled out £12m to sign him.

No-one is saying he spotted his talent, someone else did that years before when he was at Leeds (maybe DOL?), but MON obviously thought he was an excellent player or he wouldn't have signed him for big bucks.

He gets stick for signing duff players, so on the flip-side he deserves credit for signing players who turn out to be good!

Lets look at it from a different angle.

In 1998 Kenny Dagleish bought Nolberto Solano for Newcastle, he stayed for 6 yrs before joining us.

In 2005 Graham Souness took Nobby back to Newcastle,

So is Graham Souness credited with seeing the potential in Nobby Solano - or did he just buy back a player that really shouldn't have left the club in the first place.

Milner was on loan with us.

I would guess, if the club wasnt in financial turmoil at th time that loan ended we would have negotiated a fee to buy him - however we were.

As soon as we wasn't , we bought him.

I honestly cant see how you can credit him with it.

oh - dont know why I didnt think of this.

Did Harry Redknapp see the potential in Keane, or just right the wrong.

I'm just glad Milner's here. As Dundeevilla says, if we're going to criticise him for the bad buys, you have to say well done for the good ones as well. I think Milner will turn out to be more use to us long term than Ashley Young tbh.

What I will predict about MON is this by the way.

Liverpool - forget it - its just a matter of how many

Fulham - could be his saving grace, but could be the grim reaper

THEN

Blues could be straw....

I don't agree with you much, but you're bang on with this. I think we'll all admit we expect to lose at Anfield, we're just hoping for a good performance. Fulham aren't a bad side, but we certainly expect to avoid defeat. If we do lose, and then fail to beat Blues.. this will be disaster, particularly as the window will have shut.

I don't see what seeing potential in him has anything to do with anything?

as Risso said, He's the man who's brought him, if he didn't rate him, he wouldn't of brought him, obviously he thinks alot of Milner to buy him for such a big price.

Also don't forget Milner was on loan for 1 year in a very poor season.

Keane was at Tottenham for about 5 years, while Solano as you said was at Toon for 6 years, so were proven players at that club.

Â