PL: Wigan h 2009/08/15 Match Thread

limpid

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friedel - 5 poor

Beye - 7 Looked decent

Davies - 3 Awful. How long must we wait before people realise his "potential" is a myth. All over the place positionally, same as always.

Cuellar - 4 Dives in way too much especially high up the pitch.

Shorey - 2 100% shite. We need to sign Warnock on Monday.

Milner - 7 worked hard, unlike some others.

Petrov - 6 hit one or two nice passes but offered little else

Delph - N/A not going to rate the kid as he should never have been thrown in at the deep end like he was. Making the step up from League 1 to premier league and expected to start the first league game of the season???

Young - 4 Did few good things. lost the ball, ran into trouble and missed an open goal.

Gabby - 4 Did he actually do anything remotely useful in the game?

Heskey - 4 Had the ball hoofed up to him repeatedly and did nothing with it.

Albrighton - Had little of the ball.

Fonzie - See above

Sidwell - Looked okay, should have hit the target with the free header 12 yards out.

Overall it was puke and our terrible home form of last season continues. Wigan are NOT a good side but we made them look like barcelona at times. Should have been 3 or 4 nil TBH. Good luck to them, I like roberto martinez.

Naturally disappointed. Disapointed with the performance of the players, but more angry and utter shocked at the way tactically clueless today.

We played Hoofed ball all day and the space between midfield and defence is rather shocking. Very difficult to play 442 if none of the midfield can win the ball.

What is going on with Ashley Young, 2008 he looked the best player in the league and now he just looks bored.

I'd be worried that it was something between him and MON but his England performances have been dire as well. Surely somethings not right with the lad as he just dosent give a shit anymore.

i can't believe one game can make me performa volte-face on my attitude towards this season.

Exactly how I feel Rodders. Hopefully I'll feel more positive once I've calmed down a bit, but I can't shake this nagging feeling that all the negativity that I've been trying not to listen to, may actually be right after all.

Signings. Good ones. Now.

Does MON really have money to spend though I mean how do we really know Randy will give him money???

I dont think he should be given anymore money with the shite he's signed in defence up to this point? bring on sol campbell

maybe Sutton could be brought back eh..

Does MON really have money to spend though I mean how do we really know Randy will give him money???

MON says he has funds - we have beleive that. If he came out and said he didn't I would have a tad more sympathy.....but not much he has wasted loads of money on Heskey, Cueller, Shorey,

Embarrassing. Not the football, the fans

So fans dont have a right to be disgusted by that performance and the performances towards the end of last season? it was **** atrocious we were so 1 dimensional it was untrue and we were bing hit on by the counter attack by Wigan, hello this is Wigan not Chelsea or Manchester united were playing.

I agree with the "we have fickle fans" comments but all football clubs have them. They deserved to be booed off today, they were beyond poor but I dont want MON to leave.

Guys, I know I'm new here, but I have to say it. As bad as our team was today, some of the hysterics in the comments have been worse. It's football. Anything can happen. We have no divine right to win. It's difficult. There's no messiah manager waiting to deliver champ's league football. And as for those at the stadium, booing Ash Young is not on. This is our best player, who's given us so many great moments, the young player of the year, and we turn so quickly? He might head off to Spurs if this is the support he gets when the chips are down. Not cool.

Not cool. I'd rather win, but if we lose I'd like to do it with dignity, please.

If this form continues as it has since last january we are in trouble.You cant win games with two in the middle and one of those is making his debut in the Prem.Delph could have had an easier time if mon had played the 4 5 1.As it was he had nowhere to hide,although he did a good job of being invisisble.Its going to be a long season with no joy.And lets look forward to the Europa league so we can treat that competition as nothing more than a distraction to our push for glory and top four football,lol.

a couple of take home points from this game:

1) we desperately lack leadership Petrov ain't a captain (our two main leaders are now gone). The only one who looks even remotely like a captain to me is James Milner but he's not really got the runs on the board to take the armband.

2) the signings we've made haven't strengthened us at all.

3) Nicky Shorey is on borrowed time (looks like another season at LB for luke young)

4) No carew, no villa.

Sad day all round