Crap food that you absolutely love to eat

trimandson

I saw on a menu last weekend - Calfs Head.

I didn't order it. I have had Ox cheeks before which has a really strong pungent flavour.

Cheeks are a great buy.  Cheap and full of flavour.  Cook slowly.  Couple of hours.

You can also get fish cheeks, and the great George Lassalle has a recipe for cod cheeks.  Needs to be a big fish, though...

As for calf's head, never had it, but after reading Anthony Bourdin, would love to:

"...a slice of rolled-up calf's face, peeled right off the skull, tied

up — with a stuffing of sweetbreads — and served boiled in a little

broth with a few nicely shaped root vegetables and a slice of tongue.

It's an ... acquired texture: the translucent fat, the blue calf's skin,

and the bits of cheek and thymus gland take some getting past before you

can actually enjoy the flavor."

I didn't order it. I have had Ox cheeks before which has a really strong pungent flavour.

Cheeks are a great buy.  Cheap and full of flavour.  Cook slowly.  Couple of hours.

You can also get fish cheeks, and the great George Lassalle has a recipe for cod cheeks.  Needs to be a big fish, though...

As for calf's head, never had it, but after reading Anthony Bourdin, would love to:

>>"...a slice of rolled-up calf's face, peeled right off the skull, tied

can actually enjoy the flavor."

I love eating animals as much as the next guy, but there's something macabre about peeling the face off a baby cow, sticking its bollocks inside the floppy result and setting about it with a knife and fork.

>>"...a slice of rolled-up calf's face, peeled right off the skull, tied

can actually enjoy the flavor

."

I love eating animals as much as the next guy, but there's something macabre about peeling the face off a baby cow, sticking its bollocks inside the floppy result and setting about it with a knife and fork.

Can't remember much about that book - read it in about 2004 I think.  I remember really enjoying it, and his recollection of his grandparents garden, and that's about it.

A Cook's Tour?  You must remember the bit about eating the beating heart of a snake in Vietnam.  Don't think I fancy that.

There was another dish on that menu, something like "veal lights" which I assumed was the cohoneys . Needless to say I passed on that.

One night we had, boiled veal, sauerkraut and spinach which was **** minging but I ate it out of respect.

Can't remember much about that book - read it in about 2004 I think. I remember really enjoying it, and his recollection of his grandparents garden, and that's about it.
A Cook's Tour? You must remember the bit about eating the beating heart of a snake in Vietnam. Don't think I fancy that.
Ahh. Kitchen Confidential was the one I read.

There was another dish on that menu, something like "veal lights" which I assumed was the cohoneys . Needless to say I passed on that.

One night we had, boiled veal, sauerkraut and spinach which was **** minging but I ate it out of respect.

Lights.  **** hell.

One Saturday morning, I found myself in an indoor food market in a small provincial town, and I happened on a butcher's stall.  This was not a butcher who sold filet mignon.  Filet minging, more like.

I saw this grey, limp, damp, almost transparent substance stretched out on his slab, like a watery, ethereal form of a larger and more slimy pair of Bridget Jones' knickers.  He was aiming to sell it.  For money.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Lights" he said.

"Yes, but what's lights?" I replied.

"Lungs" he said.

**** lungs.  And I suppose some people bought it and ate it.

I walked on.  One food decision I have never regretted.

Edited by peterms

Lungs wow, my first thought was bollocks, then eyes .

Jesus H , lung must be just gristle ? Or fat ? Or is it a muscle ?

I have been edging toward vegan the last year and this is another stride in that direction.

Can't remember much about that book - read it in about 2004 I think. I remember really enjoying it, and his recollection of his grandparents garden, and that's about it.

A Cook's Tour? You must remember the bit about eating the beating heart of a snake in Vietnam. Don't think I fancy that.

I read both, and may be confusing them...

I have been edging toward vegan the last year and this is another stride in that direction.

I don't think it's gristle or fat.  Isn't it a membrane?

What is the correct order to eat a pack of jam tarts - I go yellow, red, blackcurrant. Surely that's the right way?

Black, red, yellow for me.

I always like to save the Peach double on a pack of 6 yogurts as well.

I miss your all-seeing-skynet-eye from your avatar.

What with my mum having been a working class Brummie born in 1914, we had all the offal cuts when I was a kid - liver, kidneys, heart, lights, gizzards, brains, tripe, pigs' trotters, you name it. Can't say I was a huge fan, but that probably because she had little idea on how to cook stuff well. I've since had most of that done skilfully in French restaurants, and they can be pretty good. Not a big favourite though, all the same.

Vegan? **** right off.

I read both, and may be confusing them...

That does sound more like Kitchen Confidential.

I wish there was a Steak 'n Shake nearby

Nutrition facts:

1570 calories

109g fat (168% of DV)

47g saturated fat (235% of DV)

3.5g trans fat

290mg cholesterol (97% of DV)

4.57g sodium (190% of DV)

67g carbs

4g fiber

6g sugars

76g protein

I don't think it's gristle or fat.  Isn't it a membrane?

(best line from that sermon, though, is from part 1: "My son in high school last year trying to go to the prom: he said, 'Dad, I ain't got nobody to take the prom because all the girls in my class are gay. Ain't but two of them straight and both of them are ugly.'")

Â